GP32 Euro Released cancelled

Esn posted on Oct 22 2003 at 03:05 PM said:
P.S. Shotaway; it's not Gamepark who cancelled the launch.

like i said....who give's a toss!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really that bothered about no European launch. The community would have died, and the whole novelty of the GP32 would have faded. I like it how it is. Depending on dedicated coders who make products , not solely for money, but because they love doing it is great.
Who wants to play another remade version of Breath of Fire, when through emulation hundreds of rpgs are available for free.
I really dont mind about there being no European launch.... We dont need one!

Hi to you all!

Just got my GP32 this morning from Lik-Sang and all this confirms the intuition I had. As soon as they delayed the release, I ordered from Lik-Sang.

I completely agree with declaration. It's a pity the launch was cancelled but look at what happened to the NGPC : a good importer was found, this did not prevent the NGPC to die quickly.

True GP32 fans will get the machine via importers. As long as the community exists, the GP will stay alive. Lots of old HW are still here because of fans (think about Amiga).
From what I've just seen this morning, the GP truly is a wonderful machine. It's up to all of us for our machine not to die. Cheer up folks!

La GP32 est morte, vive la GP32!

Vince, going to try Craigx' doom

There are so many great ports for the GP32 that I don't think Gamepark would just scrap it. While the successful commericial release of the GP32 is indeed now impossible, I think we may see the next incarnation of the GP32 with backwards compatibility released a little sooner then expected.

Additionally, I saw screenshots of english Mill and other translations - what are they going to do with those? And the new firmware? Hopefully they'll offer these as patches for existing GP32 users instead of scrapping them too.

Yet, as it stands, the Gamepark is now dead commericially.

I can't say that I am happy about this, but somehow I feel relieved. Can't quite put my finger on it...
  • insecure Encryption scheme
  • blasted bugs (I guess the DMA one is really annoying, and the speaker R/L mixup)
  • way 'bigger' Companies bringing out really troublesome competition in the very near future
  • 'old' Smartmedia Cards & low throughput (why didn't they take CF... *sob*)
  • Competitors with enough engineers to copy any innovation and enough money to push it on the market. *cough* N...o, I won't say it. *cough*
  • Not really enough money or influence from Gamepark...
Ah well. Don't get me wrong, I would never ever sell my GP32 and I own quite a bunch of legally purchased software (and intend to buy more). I won't bother with other portables for a while and am very very content with my little white non-illuminated piece of goodness.

It WOULD have been nice, but be realistic: How long do you think it would've taken the stupid masses to
A ) 'hack' the encryption scheme - I doubt this would mean anything more than reflashing a hacked BIOS into the GP32 or installing some modified launcher software, effectively screwing legal software developers
B ) start emulating GBA games etc and abandoning native apps totally
C ) flood and poison the now quite peaceful and kind-spirited community

I wouldn't want this. Especially c) - yes, there were flames at the start of this thread, but my uptake on this kinda thing is that it shows the passion of the persons involved. :D

Ah well, I hope at least the improvements that are already under way won't be cancelled.

The news came from Mitsui PR, so dont buy the story that its gameparks fault too fast. I would guess that Mitsui wanted too much for too little in return so that the deal busted in the end. That everything seems to be ok for the launch in Spain also points into that direction.

And there are handheld gaming machines out there with *much* bigger flaws...
*cough*ngage*cough*

The situation could infact be even worse - i've heard unofficially that the production of the GP32 has stopped...

I'm trying to get more information.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Oct 22 2003 at 08:29 PM said:
The situation could infact be even worse - i've heard unofficially that the production of the GP32 has stopped...

-Craig

www.gbax.com
What the hell?!?! They seem 2 b doing so well! If they are i better get all the preferials that i want b4 they stop makin em. and iv convinced mates to get one of these beasts 2! This is stupid.

craigix posted on Oct 22 2003 at 08:29 PM said:

-Craig

www.gbax.com
It does sound rather farcical. I'm just glad i've got mine........

the quote at the front of this site says "We were forced to do this step due to financial problems of Gamepark, which cannot be controlled by Mitsui. Especially the insecurity of the intellectual property rights in this context forced us to do this step."

so i dont know why people are moaning about Mitsui !? it's all down to Gamepark.

it would be essential for Mitsui to own the intellectual property rights to the GP32 in any 'territory' they wished to market it in. if they did not, Gamepark could effectively stop them from selling the product and give it to someone else to sell, after Mitsui had invested in publicity etc. Mitsui would be a bit crazy to risk this wouldnt they ?

alternatively - maybe the intellectual property right issue is because Gamepark themselves dont own them ! maybe an ex-employee/competitor has busted them ! that might explain no more production. oooh the scandal of it all ;)

here is a thought - will *any* handheld which comes with purpose built smc writing software make it long term ? can't see it meself.

oh, and as most people have said - i really couldnt give 2 frigs about it not being launched anywhere at all ever. it does plenty for me already and i'm happy, i'll still have it in 10 years and it will still look cool :)

people will stop writing and porting game's......
unfinished emu's...will go unfinished......
no more appz...no more gp32.......
we're all just wasteing out time's....

shotaway - i think you are wrong and i think time will show that

there will definitely be people moving away from the gp32. that's life.

i've seen the smallest bunch of people create the biggest things. fact is - it's just a nice piece of kit and people look after nice bits of kit

i think you will be surprised at what this thing can do in 10 years time......

shotaway posted on Oct 22 2003 at 09:35 PM said:
people will stop writing and porting game's......
unfinished emu's...will go unfinished......
no more appz...no more gp32.......
we're all just wasteing out time's....
Why? I won't unless everyone stops using them (not that anyone actually does use my games)

I need a GP32 NOW If I can't get one I'll never have 2 and I won't be able to rf link :( And I only have 55EUR :(

Damn! This sucks. At least there's a new firmware. So to flash my firmware to the new one I do what? Which one do I download?

Our little consoles can play 1000's upon 1000's of quality games. All of these can be acquired for free. It can play movies, mp3's and can read txt files and browse images. How can people claim we are wasting our time??
So what if its not in shops and some highly overrated, overpriced games won't be released...... Rlyeh will probably finish his set of Emulators and we still have YoYo's secret project to look forward to you.
People seem disapointed that Gp32 will not be commercially successful like the GBA.... who cares if it isnt?? One major attraction to me is the underground aspect of it.... we dont have a crappy EA release every second to waste our time. Zodiac, Schmodiac for now. Even if porters stop porting and developers stop developing, we will still have our memories and nobody can rob us of those (a little bit melodramatic!!)
Dont slag off Gamepark... Its great that a little company has a go and produces something so brilliantly different.... how are they supposed to provide great customer service when the Gp32 isnt even supposed to be released in Europe or America and yet we all still have one.
The Gp32 will live for ever....

(Who knows the little gems may becomes collectors items at some point in the future!! :D )

Bets on Gamepark not having made enough to continue until March when the release would have been continuing. At which point, Mitsui continues to press for a delayed release. Loggerheads come to play, and no-one backs down - Mitsui because they'd run out of stock and be in an embarrassing situation, and Gamepark, prolly because no-one would lend them money to just manufacture (remember - they were pulling them from Korea in order that they'd have enough to supply Europe) and not sell - i.e. they wouldn't be able to pay anything back.

The intellectual property issues might have been Mitsui finding out some of the very very early original specs of the Gamepark (i.e. iirc it was supposed to have a hardware GBA emu built in, but that was pulled to stop Ninty getting their lawyers involved (understandably)). Or perhaps telling Gamepark to put in something into the firmware to limit emu usage or something which they refused to do (not being suicidal, since emulation - at this point - is the main thing keeping the console going). Could be either.

I'd appreciate some more info from either company though. What they've said so far has been fairly useless. I suspect the first situation is the current situation - what I don't understand is if it *is* the way things were, why oh why didn't GamePark ask Mitsui to lend them the cash to produce the things, and if Mitsui were so confident, why say no? Assuming, of course that they did, and there weren't other "complications".

I paid $180 bucks for my GP32, shipped. For that, I've got an MP3 player, a pretty darn good NES emulator, a pretty darn good C64 emulator, and a pretty darn goot Atari ST emulator. For me, it's totally worth it, and even if GamePark files for bankruptcy tomorrow it doesn't change the fact that I have this awesome little toy in my backpack bag with me wherever I go. Add SNES and Genesis emulation and some of the homebrew apps, and I've been 100% pleased with my purchase.

The biggest shame in all of this is that I personally believe the GP32 is much more interesting of a machine than a GBA. Unfortunately, marketing and history has shown us that the best machine doesn't always win.

Flack posted on Oct 22 2003 at 04:17 PM said:
I paid $180 bucks for my GP32, shipped. For that, I've got an MP3 player, a pretty darn good NES emulator, a pretty darn good C64 emulator, and a pretty darn goot Atari ST emulator. For me, it's totally worth it, and even if GamePark files for bankruptcy tomorrow it doesn't change the fact that I have this awesome little toy in my backpack bag with me wherever I go. Add SNES and Genesis emulation and some of the homebrew apps, and I've been 100% pleased with my purchase.

The biggest shame in all of this is that I personally believe the GP32 is much more interesting of a machine than a GBA. Unfortunately, marketing and history has shown us that the best machine doesn't always win.
Yeah, I agree. We don't really need Official Commercial games or other stuff like that, homegrown software is all we need :D

Back