Gp2x's Lifetime

Daikira

Still Fresh
How long do you think it will take to break yours? I guess that the screen will die pretty fast... I open and close it 6 times in day at school, so will it damage my gp2x?

Daikira posted on Feb 25 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
How long do you think it will take to break yours? I guess that the screen will die pretty fast... I open and close it 6 times in day at school, so will it damage my gp2x?
You what??? Why would anyone keep opening the screen? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
greenpix posted on Feb 25 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
Daikira posted on Feb 25 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
You what??? Why would anyone keep opening the screen? :blink:
I ment that I close the gp2x and turn it on 6 times... dont bully finnish people

yes, I get little confused sometimes when I write english, I can write 5 languages so I sometimes forget things

Daikira posted on Feb 25 2006 at 05:50 PM said:

LCD screens last pretty much forever. The joystick and buttons will wear out but those can be replaced. The thing that will kill it will be when careless devs write data to the limited write NAND memory in the unit every time the app is run. That can be fixed by making sure they don't do that.

So please any devs reading this * don't write to the NAND*

Agreed.
The GP3X will be there sooner, and as for support (from devs) , I'd say about 4 years ;) .

DaveC posted on Feb 25 2006 at 08:26 PM said:
indeed. I can't see any reason to do it anyway.

Read only firmware is the way to go.

edit: typo

Its like asking how long is a piece of string. It just depends how much you use it. Even if you used it 24 hours a day I bet it would last well over a year.

Fairly long most likely as long as you avoid using the stupid nand thingy :)

I hope the gp3x will be ALOT better than the gp2x, because releasing the gp2x with only a little bit of improvements was kind of useless since the gp32 is better at emulating most of the stuff right now. Cept for the psx of course, thats the big donut with the 2x, aqnd squidgesnes is faster than the snes emu for gp32.

yaustar posted on Feb 25 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
Do you mean you turn it on/off 6 times a day...

from the little bit i know of italian, i know that the verbs for turning on/off a light or other device are more like "open/close". also some of my older relatives who speak broken english will often say close the tv, etc. when you think about it, what's more strange: "opening" the light, or "turning" the light?

the romance languages are all the same in that respect. i guess finnish is similar. personally i think it's cool.

adgloride posted on Feb 26 2006 at 10:54 AM said:
Its like asking how long is a piece of string. It just depends how much you use it. Even if you used it 24 hours a day I bet it would last well over a year.

Or you could just measure it :|

LCD screens last pretty much forever. The joystick and buttons will wear out but those can be replaced. The thing that will kill it will be when careless devs write data to the limited write NAND memory in the unit every time the app is run. That can be fixed by making sure they don't do that.

Desolder and replace the nand :p
Problem solved.
It's made of industry standard components, pretty much everything can be replaced if you're willing to spend the time and have the skill.

Well, from what I have heard around here, every time you turn your GP2X on it writes to the NAND memory (if you are using the official firmware) and there is a limit to how many times you can do this. This limit is very high though.
I have a reasonable amount of faith in thinking that someone will come up with an all singing and dancing firmware that doesn't have this limitation, so just enjoy your GP2X for what it is right now.

Since the filesystem uses write balancing, it's not really a problem since the NAND is written evenly.

Still, no writes at all is the best solution, but don't expect to be able to save your settings :p

I hope that the new firmware that stops writing to nand comes soon, I turn it on over 6 times in normal day. It would not bee nice if my gp2x would be broken before that firmware

Dr Cain posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:51 AM said:
How long do you think it will take to break yours? I guess that the screen will die pretty fast...  I open and close it 6 times in day at school, so will it damage my gp2x?

Desolder and replace the nand :p
Problem solved.
It's made of industry standard components, pretty much everything can be replaced if you're willing to spend the time and have the skill.

Hand soldering surface mount memory chips without solder bridges? I think it much easier to just not write to the NAND.

Back