Gp2xmess 0.14 Released

telengard

Certified Guru
Website
users.adelphia.net
I've updated gp2xmess again this time fixing a lot of core Odyssey 2 issues that are present in MESS itself. Most banked carts run, collision detection is much better, all kinds of stuff. This code was submitted back to the MESS team and added so even non gp2x owners get to enjoy it! :) I know o2em is much better in emulating the O2 but I wanted to do something other than optimize for a change.
[cut]
So now that I've got that jones out of the way I'm wondering what to work on next in gp2xmess. I'm burned out on optimizing for a while (it's a lot of work for usually no payout but that work will continue just not marathon sessions like I did the past week or two). Any particular systems that are getting more use, heck is anyone using this thing? Where's the love for the old crusty systems? :)

Or maybe systems that folks would like added. I did try out adding Vectrex support and, um, it's slowwwwww. How about one of the more simple systems that isn't emulated yet. Any ideas? Like the Emerson Arcadia, anything I'm not familiar with I'll need a little help.

You can download (as always) from here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~bsturk/gp2x.html

~telengard[/cut]

Thank you, as always!!

... ummm, how's about USB Joypad/keyboard support ... ;) That's the only thing I can think of ...

TelcoLou said:
Thank you, as always!!

... ummm, how's about USB Joypad/keyboard support ... ;) That's the only thing I can think of ...
Hi,

Good idea. Sounds like I would need some HW to do that though?
I know nothing about it but I imagine it would be easy to do software wise

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
telengard said:
TelcoLou said:
Thank you, as always!!

Hi,

Good idea. Sounds like I would need some HW to do that though?
I know nothing about it but I imagine it would be easy to do software wise

~telengard

Yeah, you'd need a B.O.B. ... gamersection.ca may have some in stock .. seems like I got the last one at PlayAsia :unsure:

Excellent! I overclock via cpu_speed and Beamrider runs smooth as silk! And popping up the virtual Coleco numpad was an awesome idea :D

Please do one more thing: Coleco save states! That way I can actually *finish* Gateway to Asphai ;)

Thanks! This is shaping up to be the best ColecoVision emulator on *any* platform, including WinXP and Linux desktops.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried going back a bunch of versions and seeing if there's any performance boost? I'm not sure how that would mesh with your project goals, but I know when FCE Ultra was originally being ported to GP2X it took a huge leap forward in speed by going back several versions (from say .9ish to .6ish).

telengard said:
Or maybe systems that folks would like added. I did try out adding Vectrex support and, um, it's slowwwwww. How about one of the more simple systems that isn't emulated yet. Any ideas? Like the Emerson Arcadia, anything I'm not familiar with I'll need a little help.

Squidge has a Vectrex emulator in the works which seems to have a reasonable speed to it (unfortunately, it hasn't seen an update in quite a while, and has no rom browser yet). From what he's mentioned about the Vectrex, it seems it's a rather goofy system, and was easier to re-emulate from scratch than to port existing emulators.

In any case, I'd love to see other obscure systems like the Channel F, Bally Astrocade, and RCA Studio II make it into the mix. Old systems like these don't get much love, and almost certainly would never hit the GP2X outside of your excellent MESS port. :)

--Zero

naples39 said:
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried going back a bunch of versions and seeing if there's any performance boost? I'm not sure how that would mesh with your project goals, but I know when FCE Ultra was originally being ported to GP2X it took a huge leap forward in speed by going back several versions (from say .9ish to .6ish).
Hi there,

I think that is worth trying. Although I've tried a bunch of different ports (going forward though, guess things get slower before they get faster). I ported to both xmess .106 and the latest SDLMess. Maybe I'll try going back a ways and see how it is.

I did improve the Apple ][ performance though, have you been able to try it? I'm also curious to know how well it performs when overclocked. I for the life of me can't get cpu_speed to work anymore. :(

~telengard

Thanks for the update. Maybe you could add a method for moving through the list faster like left-right on the pad to jump page by page. Now I need to scroll quite a bit to get to some ROMs and it takes awhile especially in the Coleco emu.

Good work.

Back