Ti 99/4a W/ Sound Added To Gp2xmess

telengard

Certified Guru
Website
users.adelphia.net
Hiya,

I just added ti99/4a support to gp2xmess. I'm happy to say it runs at full speed w/ the default fs and also has sound.

So this release supports:

Atari 7800
Colecovision
TI 99/4A

Here's some pics:

Boot screen

ti99_4a.jpg

Parsec (speech works too!!)

parsec.jpg

My personal favorite, Hunt the Wumpus

wumpus.jpg

Download here (full src w/ patchset now available too):
http://users.adelphia.net/~bsturk/gp2x.html

Enjoy!
~telengard

Can some kind soul help me set up a start-up script for TI-99/4a?? :( I can't understand this high-tech coder stuff ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can some kind soul help me set up a start-up script for TI-99/4a?? :( I can't understand this high-tech coder stuff ;)

Hi TelcoLou,

I can help you out. You shouldn't need a startup script. There should be a ti99_4a.gpe startup script included in the zip file. Select that and then once "in" the ti system the left shoulder button brings up a menu. You can add carts through the "File Manager" menu. The README file has a lot more info on this kinda stuff. Some games for the TI99/4A come in 2 parts. You need to load each of the images into a cartridge slot. If you need more help just let me know.

Have fun!
~telengard

Want to add TI-83 support? ;P

Hehe, is that a calculator or something? I was thinking of enabling the "Tomy Tutor" driver just for kicks. :)

~telengard

Yes, it's a Graphing calculator, and I know some addicting games for it. (Such as Tanks) ^_^

Sounds cool. It doesn't seem that mess supports that system. Are there any emulators with source available for that calculator?

~telengard

Hi TelcoLou,

I can help you out. You shouldn't need a startup script. There should be a ti99_4a.gpe startup script included in the zip file. Select that and then once "in" the ti system the left shoulder button brings up a menu. You can add carts through the "File Manager" menu. The README file has a lot more info on this kinda stuff. Some games for the TI99/4A come in 2 parts. You need to load each of the images into a cartridge slot. If you need more help just let me know.

Have fun!
~telengard

PM'd ... but posted this response, just in case ... I still get a black screen for a few seconds, then dumped back to the GP2X menu ...

Edit: Thanks telengard; turns out I needed the TI99 bios files to STAY ZIPPED :lol:

Messing around with the TI99 emulation one problem I've noticed is that having lots of roms in one directory causes you to get stuck in the file selector. You can't select any of the files, and you can't exit when you get stuck, so you have to power off.

I'm not sure what the exact number is that causes problems when exceeded, but my /roms/ti99 directory has 235 in it - and that causes you to get locked into the menu selection.

Messing around with the TI99 emulation one problem I've noticed is that having lots of roms in one directory causes you to get stuck in the file selector. You can't select any of the files, and you can't exit when you get stuck, so you have to power off.

I'm not sure what the exact number is that causes problems when exceeded, but my /roms/ti99 directory has 235 in it - and that causes you to get locked into the menu selection.

I'll look into that, thanks for the info. I have some directories with a lot more than 235 files so that should help. :)

I think I may have seen this also although for me it was a crash. This is core xmess code, but I have already fixed a few things in there so I should be able to hunt this down.

From the TODO file:

file manager crashes when trying to select _colecovision_roms_ on my box

~telengard

Hope this isn't inappropriate, as I owned a TI99 and a good number of games a couple decades ago, but does anyone know a site where I can find some TI99 roms? I've been looking for a while without success.

Back