Gp2xmess 0.10 Released

telengard, any chance of optimizing and making the atari 7800 emulation full speed? I read in an earlier thread that emulation is pretty good when overclocked to 250mhz, but not full speed even at that high.

Hi Hirolaser,

I've done a lot of profiling on the a7800 driver and the bottleneck is the core emulation. I'm hesitant to muck with that code at the moment. I'm hoping to upgrade my toolchain which will hopefully give a speed boost. In addition I'm going to do some more testing w/ different compiler flags. If all of that doesn't provide a speed boost I'll look into modifying the drivers themselves. Once I do that, keeping up w/ newer xmess releases becomes a *real* chore unfortunately.

take care,
~telengard

Cool to see that you are still working on this :)

Did you get my PMs about the D-pad? I haven't heard anything.

You don't have to keep up with newer Xmess releases right? I mean the existing ones should be good enough for what the GP2X can do. Kind of like how MAME is based on an older version for speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the hard work your putting into this emulator telengard, your doing a great job, really hope you can get atari 7800 to full speed soon. I'm getting an mk2 soon mainly for the older/classic computers and consoles and really looking forward to using your emu.

telengard, any chance of optimizing and making the atari 7800 emulation full speed? I read in an earlier thread that emulation is pretty good when overclocked to 250mhz, but not full speed even at that high.

Hi Hirolaser,

I've done a lot of profiling on the a7800 driver and the bottleneck is the core emulation. I'm hesitant to muck with that code at the moment. I'm hoping to upgrade my toolchain which will hopefully give a speed boost. In addition I'm going to do some more testing w/ different compiler flags. If all of that doesn't provide a speed boost I'll look into modifying the drivers themselves. Once I do that, keeping up w/ newer xmess releases becomes a *real* chore unfortunately.

take care,
~telengard

Cool to see that you are still working on this :)

Did you get my PMs about the D-pad? I haven't heard anything.

You don't have to keep up with newer Xmess releases right? I mean the existing ones should be good enough for what the GP2X can do. Kind of like how MAME is based on an older version for speed.

Hiya DaveC,

Yep, I've gotten your PM, just so dang busy. I will get back to you soon.

As for keeping up w/ xmess. I didn't do what was done w/ mame. I actually ported what was the latest and greatest in december of last year when I got my gp2x. There are reasons for me to keep up w/ changes. For instance, the palette for the Atari 7800 ( Colecovision too ) was fixed very recently and looks MUCH better. If I want to move to the latest to pick up all these nice things, I'm in merge hell if I have also modified the drivers. Just trying as hard as possible to not touch the core xmess stuff if I don't have to.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=95498&hl=

It's possible that an older version of xmess would be faster but I have no way to know since I've never paid attention to it's speed. I did notice w/ mame though as I have a mame cabinet and at some point it got significantly slower, but I thought it had more to do w/ the graphics stuff than core emulation.

This isn't to say I *won't* make these changes, it's just I want to try all the less intrusive things first that might speed things up. :)

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back