Gp2x Successor

Fueler

Still Fresh
I am looking to order a GP2X, however, I do not want sink hundreds of dollars for it if there is a new version coming out. Does anyone have any information if/when a GP2X successor will be coming out?

Fueler said:
I am looking to order a GP2X, however, I do not want sink hundreds of dollars for it if there is a new version coming out. Does anyone have any information if/when a GP2X successor will be coming out?
It's only been out for a year and a half. An obscure company like GPH is not going to release a new system every couple of years. If you buy it now, you have at least another year and a half to mess around with it. Don't worry yourself about this kind of thing man. :)

Just try and lay low now, though. Other members are not as willing to tell you this nicely...they don't like to talk about anything that has been talked about. Just use the search function next time, or if you absolutely need to, I would post in the "I Just Got My Gp2x!!!" sticky thread at the top of this part of the forum.

Enjoy your Gp2x!

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be out when its ready. Right now I'm busy integrating the full size atari 2600 controllers on both sides (cant forget the lefties).

think lynx with less batteries.

once the breadboards are ready gp2x2 will be rolling off the production lines in a couple of months.

There will be a premium 'Craig' Signature edition to those who preorder, plus a $5 off wrist strap coupon (polyester wrist strap only. Nylon wrist strap is full price).

YakumoFuji said:
It will be out when its ready. Right now I'm busy integrating the full size atari 2600 controllers on both sides (cant forget the lefties).

think lynx with less batteries.

once the breadboards are ready gp2x2 will be rolling off the production lines in a couple of months.

There will be a premium 'Craig' Signature edition to those who preorder, plus a $5 off wrist strap coupon (polyester wrist strap only. Nylon wrist strap is full price).
Don't mess this guy man, he's just new that's all. ;)

I gave up d-pad mods and am designing the next console now.

It will "be the size of a skateboard with the 3 inch Dpad made of wood and the 6 volt truck battery. Only $600". :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, dave's design is the only handheld worthy of the official seal of approval:

seal.gif

(ive been wanting to use that for awhile :p)

I wouldn't worry about buying an outdated device. Even if a successor will show its head in a year or so (I doubt it will that soon, if at all), the GP2X scene seems fairly solid in order to keep pumping new things for it for a good while after the new one's released. The GP2X is more approachable and future-proof than the GP32, so I hope/believe that the GP3X won't do to the GP2X what the GP2X did to the GP32.

You'll have a lot of fun with it!

Fueler said:
Well, if you said you were not going to buy a PC because you heard a rumour that another more powerful one was coming out in a couple of months, would you still buy it? If you didn't then you would still be disappointed in 6 months time when yet another more powerful one came out :D

Applying the same logic to consoles - of course there's a GP2X successor coming out. However, when, who by and how much is a totally different question, and a question I'd say no one knows the answer to until it happens. It could be next month, next year or next millenium for all we know.

If you like the GP2X, then buy one, but if your not going to bother because another version might come out, then your just going to wait forever.

This makes us look soooooooooooo much better than the psp fanboys, guys. Real mature. <_<

Except for Alex.

OMars said:
This makes us look soooooooooooo much better than the psp fanboys, guys. Real mature. <_<
I thought Squidge's response was fair, no need for you personally to get upset over a bit of teasing :).

Take in mind that even if one came soon, it will need a long time for developers to buy it, and longer time for them to perfect the emulators that will be released for it. I doubt any successor will emulate anything after the N64, a powerful PC still suffers when it emulates a PS2 or a Game Cube, so there wont be anything that wow about having a GP3X or whatever its name will be. My main reason for upgrading from the GP32 was the lack of space with the SMC cards, so I don't think there is anything that critical that will make anyone immediately upgrade.

well, maybe it has a 3d chip and a builting coffe waremer! :)
No, seriously, there's always a time where something new hits, but even then, the gp2x wouldn't get any less good by that.
And going by the time thy needed to finaly get the bob out..... well, se you next century :)

Isn't the reason why PS2 and GameCube emulation are poor is that not much effort has been put into them because they're "active" platforms (that is, no strong case for emulation now)? Considering the specs of today's mid to high-range PCs, I don't see any hurdles there.

Anyway, I think there's enough of this kind of topic that we need to have a future gp3x hardware speculation forum or something.

well wen i was buying me gp2x
i was scared the xgp was gonna come out straight after, and no more new software :(
but it never did, and i was right
i think u shud get a gp2x, cos the successor hasnt even been announced
long time before we see

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Unfortunately, dave's design is the only handheld worthy of the official seal of approval:

seal.gif
(ive been wanting to use that for awhile :p)

oy! I made that!

Edit: or atleast one similar.

craigix said:
I guess there will be a follow up when the GP2X has been pushed to its limits.

How far off is that do you think?
2, 3 years? Honestly, all the possible emulator projects may be done by then, but the original homebrew does not have an expiration date, except of course if there will only be very few people to download them, as is now the case with the GP32.

craigix said:
I guess there will be a follow up when the GP2X has been pushed to its limits.

How far off is that do you think?
When we got fullspeed Amiga.
Knowing GPH, the GP3X is going to have an analog D-pad.

Miika said:
When we got fullspeed Amiga.
Knowing GPH, the GP3X is going to have an analog D-pad.
Don't forget the 16:9 display and UMD for storage... ;)

Back