Gp2x Sand V0.3 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
hammy_lite updated his Falling Sand-Port.

Changes:
Added support for element transformations.
Added support for rising elements.
Added elements salt, saltwater, steam, plant and fire.
Improved defaults.
Minor speed decrease ~3-5 fps, but still very playable.
Minor bug fixes.

gp2x-sand-sh.png

Have fun playing in the sandbox :)

Download: gp2x Sand v0.3
Download: gp2x Sand v0.3 Sourcecode

Well, theres many things that you can do..my favorite is to draw a big cow with the plant tool and then set it on fire.

Loubear posted on Jul 22 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
Well, theres many things that you can do..my favorite is to draw a big cow with the plant tool and then set it on fire.
o_O!
Im downloading right now. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont "do" anything. But I can assure you it's insanely addictiong.

I...dont...know...why :blink:

Im making a huge bucket and collecting the different sands, then making filtration holes. This game is the best on my SD! No joke.

Awesome "game"! Something slow-burning would be a good addition as well.

Wow, I'm still in awe of how fast this runs on thh GP2X (it bogs my laptop down to low single digit Framerate, of course, its a higher res...).
Really top notch stuff!
I think several of the versions I have played allow the 'wall' to be heated from below, turning it reddish and boiling water directly above the hot wall area. Is this something that might make a future release?

wowza, I just played it for 2 hours and didnt notice the time go by. I have some ideas that would make me a more productive sand manipulator they may be silly wishes but even if it sticks like it is, im set.

It would really really rock to show the currently selected element somewhere on the screen in a small box or something. it could probably be placed between the emitters. In addition the element's size could also be between another set of emiters.

Moving the emitters in some fashion would be nice for a quick change of the route of falling. Just to find a key for it. :)

slower burning plants and possibly leave some ash that would get broken away from other falling elements.

Select is a bit easy to hit and destroy your creations..if start became a menu to choose quick options like reset and quit (even save to show off your wild sand creation :0) select could then be used to move the emitters/element display and their properties.

I never thought sand could be so oddly fun. Best of luck.

Please take these suggestions with a grain of sand, its late. :)

Thanks for all the comments guys. :)

greenmikey posted on Jul 23 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
wowza, I just played it for 2 hours and didnt notice the time go by. I have some ideas that would make me a more productive sand manipulator they may be silly wishes but even if it sticks like it is, im set.

It would really really rock to show the currently selected element somewhere on the screen in a small box or something. it could probably be placed between the emitters. In addition the element's size could also be between another set of emiters.

Moving the emitters in some fashion would be nice for a quick change of the route of falling. Just to find a key for it. :)

slower burning plants and possibly leave some ash that would get broken away from other falling elements.

Select is a bit easy to hit and destroy your creations..if start became a menu to choose quick options like reset and quit (even save to show off your wild sand creation :0) select could then be used to move the emitters/element display and their properties.

I never thought sand could be so oddly fun. Best of luck.

Please take these suggestions with a grain of sand, its late. :)

Aside from adding new elements you pretty much nailed my plans for the next release: Adding a menu to get more and better control and show the selected element, pen size and stuff like that.

Other elements will probably not appear until I implement user defined elements, then it will be a breeze for me to add new default elements and a breeze for you to add anything you feel is missing. ;)

As for implementing energy (so you can heat stuff up) mentioned earlier in the thread, I have no plans on implementing it any time soon as I will proberbly play around a bit with the particle logic implementation to improve it in terms of speed and behavior. Don't want to complicate things with energy.

hammy lite posted on Jul 23 2006 at 12:41 PM said:
Other elements will probably not appear until I implement user defined elements, then it will be a breeze for me to add new default elements and a breeze for you to add anything you feel is missing. ;)

As for implementing energy (so you can heat stuff up) mentioned earlier in the thread, I have no plans on implementing it any time soon as I will proberbly play around a bit with the particle logic implementation to improve it in terms of speed and behavior. Don't want to complicate things with energy.
Completely understandable, a very fun game too.

Vynx posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:26 PM said:
I thought you ran off Hammy :eek:

This is totally awsome :D

Hehe, well I kinda did didn't I :p

I just lack concentration and disiplin, please bear with me when it comes to completing a project on shedual :)

Really great work! Got me totally hooked the first time I tried it. Runs even faster than the original on my computer :)

Can't wait for the finished element engine. Maybe you've wrote it somewhere, but I didn't found it, is the way you store the elements based on another sand clone? I mean, can we just use elements from other clones?

Well right now they are hardcoded but in a way so that it will be easy to move it out to a configuration file eventually.

The implementation was based on SDL Sand (which had it hardcoded in an ugly way), as it is now it's inspired by, but a bit different then wxSand. So it should be possible to import elements from wxSand in the future but they will probably need some tweaking to get the same behavior.

Back