Gp2X Picks Up Noise From Cradle

TLJRyan

Still Fresh
There is some rather obnoxious interference that my GP2X picks up while in the cradle. Is this normal? It gets worse with a usb device plugged in. The noise comes through both the GP2X speakers and the cradle audio out.

I was thinking that maybe there's a way to ground the cradle. . . .

I have had this cradle for a while, but just got around to trying it out. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Great forum redesign guys.

Do you have the problem the whole time through , or from time to time ?
Maybe you open the cradle housing and check if there´s an accidental contact.
Had you checked the jacks if they´re lose ?

greets

remaxx said:
Do you have the problem the whole time through , or from time to time ?
Maybe you open the cradle housing and check if there´s an accidental contact.
Had you checked the jacks if they´re lose ?

greets

Thank you for your reply.

It is a problem all the way through; the noise comes through the gp2x speakers, earphones, and, when it's plugged in, the TV speakers.

When you say jacks, are you talking about the A/V ports on the back, or everything including the usb, serial, and parallel ports? The interference sounds like I can hear the GP2X thinking, and when I have devices plugged in it gets really bad. Like, when I push a button on a game pad, the sound of the interference changes.

I'll take a look in there. I can take some pictures if needed. Again, thank you for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah , o.K. your problem also exist when the GP2X is not hooked up into the cradle ?
Then , this must only come directly from your GP2X. Maybe you unscrew the GPX housing and check the connection between speakers and the board.

greets remaxx

remaxx said:
Ah , o.K. your problem also exist when the GP2X is not hooked up into the cradle ?
Then , this must only come directly from your GP2X. Maybe you unscrew the GPX housing and check the connection between speakers and the board.

greets remaxx

Wow, I love refreshing a thread that just received a reply :)

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. The problem only exists when the GP2X is hooked up to the cradle. When it is out of the cradle, it works fine.

O.K. , then it´s better you check the pins at the EXT-port at the GP2X AND the cradle ! Maybe one of them is curved or damaged and you get a wrong connection ?

coldfis said:
What power supply are you using with the cradle?

No powersupply. I don't think it's needed unless I'm using devices that need additional power.

I examined the ext ports in the GP2X and the cradle today, and I cannot see anything wrong.

I own an official TV out cable, and when using it there is no obnoxious buzzing coming from the TV or GP2X. I don't know if that means much, except that the problem isn't with the dedicated video and audio pins, but elsewhere in the GP2X or cradle.

TLJRyan said:
coldfis said:
What power supply are you using with the cradle?

No powersupply. I don't think it's needed unless I'm using devices that need additional power.

I examined the ext ports in the GP2X and the cradle today, and I cannot see anything wrong.

I own an official TV out cable, and when using it there is no obnoxious buzzing coming from the TV or GP2X. I don't know if that means much, except that the problem isn't with the dedicated video and audio pins, but elsewhere in the GP2X or cradle.

That really blows because on my cradle the buzzing is present on the RCA jacks but using the phono jack for audio is good enough. The TVout cable sucks because it doesn't let you use Open2X's awesome USB joypad stuff :(

remaxx said:
Otherwise , can you open the cradle and post some photos ?

No problem, but it is going to be a few days. I let my sister borrow my digital camera, so I'll be able to post pictures when I get it back.

Back