Gp2x Interlaced Screen

blakespot

Still Fresh
I've never seen an interlaced LCD screen before, but the GP2X MKII clearly has one.

What's that about? Power savings? Did the first edition have same?

blakespot

1they felt like putting a new screen in...
2 i dont think so, they just had the urge to do it
3 no

• They did it on purpose.
• Nope.
• Nope. Use the LCD slider, move it to the left .. should get rid of them. Also, try using the LCD Tweaker (via a script).

g4m3r posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:11 PM said:
Um...are you sure you have an Mk. II?

Maybe he thinks he's sure ... maybe the place he bought it from advertised it as a "MK II", but it's actually a MK I :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got both MkI and MkII (I had to see first hand what the differences were!)
I prefer the MkII screen - it's lack of interlace/scanline, but fiddling with the LCD settings does help reduce the problems on the MkI.
However, it's not without it's problems. The viewing angle on the MkII seems to be reduced somewhat - it's fine from directly in front but as you change the viewing angle the picture quality does seem to change a fair bit.
I haven't actually had them running side by side yet, so can't say which has better color saturation or brightness and all that.
When I get home from work, I'll see if my camera can capture the differences :)

Looking at a field of color on the LCD on this MK II - when I bring the screen rapidly towards my eyes or push it away, I see scanline banding that I used to see when moving my head close to or far from my Amiga's CRT when in interlaced mode. It sure as hell looks interlaced.

I ordered an MKII from Play-Asia. It has Firmware 2.0 and was labelled MK II on the box. How else can I tell if it's actally an MK II. The viewing angle is pretty poor, which sounds like MK II, as well. You have to angle it so you're looking down on it sort of for it to look right.

blakespot

blakespot posted on Jul 24 2006 at 11:03 PM said:
Looking at a field of color on the LCD on this MK II - when I bring the screen rapidly towards my eyes or push it away, I see scanline banding that I used to see when moving my head close to or far from my Amiga's CRT when in interlaced mode. It sure as hell looks interlaced.

I ordered an MKII from Play-Asia. It has Firmware 2.0 and was labelled MK II on the box. How else can I tell if it's actally an MK II. The viewing angle is pretty poor, which sounds like MK II, as well. You have to angle it so you're looking down on it sort of for it to look right.

blakespot

Is the label on the back in English, or Korean? If it's in english, you've got a Mk. I. And also, interlacing on the GP2X's LCD should mainly be visible when moving the console up and down, rather than towards or away from you. I haven't actually experienced what you're talking about, and I have a First Edition.

jmetal88 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:07 AM said:
Is the label on the back in English, or Korean? If it's in english, you've got a Mk. I. And also, interlacing on the GP2X's LCD should mainly be visible when moving the console up and down, rather than towards or away from you. I haven't actually experienced what you're talking about, and I have a First Edition.
Label = mainly Korean. Some English on right. Left = all Korean.

blakespot

My laptop display is interlaced in a checkerboard pattern - it's not very noticeable normally, but some color patterns (usually checkerboard of a single color) actually flicker.

Yeah, sounds a bit strange to me, does it have the rotated joystick (the metal is clearly at 45 degrees if you remove the cap)

He probably has very good eyes/brain power for visual processing. My eyes can see about 100 Hz in games for detecting motion, and the film effect has to be "forced" by my head in theatres so that I can see it properly... Kind of different, but super motion detection vs super detail detection...

Shikaku posted on Jul 24 2006 at 11:31 PM said:
He probably has very good eyes/brain power for visual processing. My eyes can see about 100 Hz in games for detecting motion, and the film effect has to be "forced" by my head in theatres so that I can see it properly... Kind of different, but super motion detection vs super detail detection...

That's odd, considering the human brain is only said to be capable of fully processing four frames per second.

The illusion of motion comes from the four fully processed frames and the data inbetween that isn't fully processed.

jmetal88 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:33 AM said:
Shikaku posted on Jul 24 2006 at 11:31 PM said:

That's odd, considering the human brain is only said to be capable of fully processing four frames per second.

The illusion of motion comes from the four fully processed frames and the data inbetween that isn't fully processed.

Actually that is exactly the problem: I don't see details very well (including color) unless I try to look for it...

Back