New Gp2x Mk2 Review.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
As previously mentioned by a few distributors inc me there is a new GP2X MK2 shipping in May. I have had a beta one for about a week now.

The main change is that it has a new screen, the previous manufacturer did not cooperate with GPH very well so they have sourced another screen from a local provider.

I've also managed to get them to rotate the stick 45 degrees.

The new screen is OK, it does not have the perfect viewing angles of the current one, but it isn't interlaced in 2.0, seems to run all current software with no issues. I'm looking into if you can plug and play the screen into the old GP2X.

The screen is sharp but I'd kinda got used to the old one, it had a nice effect of smoothing the images - stuff now looks pixelated again, took a whlie to get used to. The viewing angle isn't as good (ie if you tilt it too far the image fades away.).

Anyway after millions of questions seen on here and sent to me and other distributors i've made this review of the scene and of the new GP2X MK2:

http://craig.gp2x.de/review/GP2XReview.html

Any questions? (go on, flood me).

-Craig

mmmhhhh.... Where is the video review you write about in the first few lines, or am i just 2 stupid 2 find it? (lol crap 1st post but dont have time to introduce myself :) )

Nice that is some nice marketing material . Really gets the point across . Only that gngeo can't really say that it is full speed with sound a lot of the games do not run full speed with sound turned on that is why it is disabled by default .

Why "240mhz dual core CPU"? Did they increase the default clock speed? If not and you are referring to overclocking, why choose 240 as the standard gp2x specification (instead of 250 for example as used later in the article)?

Does the mark 2 boot in 11 seconds on firmware 2.0? I don't think the mark 1 boots that fast (more like 14-15 in my case).

> To play these games you need nothing more than either the demo version of the game or a copy of the original game

Is that true for Bubble Train?

Nice article.

Dzz posted on May 2 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
Why "240mhz dual core CPU"? Did they increase the default clock speed? If not and you are referring to overclocking, why choose 240 as the standard gp2x specification (instead of 250 for example as used later in the article)?

Does the mark 2 boot in 11 seconds on firmware 2.0? I don't think the mark 1 boots that fast (more like 14-15 in my case).

> To play these games you need nothing more than either the demo version of the game or a copy of the original game

Is that true for Bubble Train?

Nice article.
If I reacall correctly, 240 is the default clock speed, the gp2x firmware underclocks it.

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx posted on May 2 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
Grrrrr... I bought a DS, the DS lite comes out. I bought a gp2x and the second one comes out
That's a risk you accept with early adoption. It's a risk I've accepted, at least. When I buy a car I'm not going to whine when a new model comes out next year.

Anyway, about the stick, it sounds like it's just the same assembly but rotated... Would changing it to a 4-way microswitched assembly have caused too many problems in hardware, and incompatibilities with software?

(naw)mcx posted on May 2 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
Grrrrr... I bought a DS, the DS lite comes out. I bought a gp2x and the second one comes out

Heh heh... I bought mine only a bit over a week ago. :) Wish I knew then to wait a few weeks and the joystick would be sorted out. Still a great system.

Great review, though! If this one ever breaks down, I'm so on board with M2!

-Arccos

The GP32's screen is quite nasty when angled, is that the case with the GP2X?

- Alex

As for early adoption, I got my DS and GP2X the week they came out, so revisions 20 and 8 months down the line, respectively, don't bother me too much. Plus it seems that the old 2x screen is a bit better than this new one. Joy :)

And that's a very well peiced-together article, Craig. As thelamer said, it really gets the point across well. You should point all the press junkets towards that page.

And GnGeo2x, @266 w/ sound is near-fullspeed on %90 of games I've tried.

You talk about quake in that review.........I thought quake was still quite a chugger frame rate wise or do I stand corrected?

Back