Gp2x Demo Competition: 750$ prize money

ukko posted on Aug 6 2006 at 02:52 AM said:
I have just seen the results, and I note that every thing can arrive in this world :)
Creep tea at the first place, let me laugh, is it the contest of the best friends ?:s

the next time I 'll make a stupid sdl port and everybody will be happy :D :D

Can we see the vote detail?
As was clearly stated in the rules, the individual components of the judging will not be released, to stop sore losers from attacking individual judges.

As to whether the prize was given to "best friends", I do not know Optimus at all personally and I'm certain that my friend who is the second judge doesn't know anybody who entered. I can't say whether Vimacs knows any of the entrants, but I trust he was not attempting to reward his friends.

As to "stupid SDL ports", your graciousness is admirable. I liked your demo a lot and so did the other judges (it was only two points away from winning). Blobs, a tunnel, cube-of-cubes, good standard stuff.

Edit: perhaps it is a standard part of the demoscene to have a tantrum when you don't win, I'm not sure. If so, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys are Finnish, what else can you expect from them than throwing a tantrum?

fragment posted on Aug 6 2006 at 03:18 PM said:
nem posted on Aug 6 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
The guys are Finnish, what else can you expect from them than throwing a tantrum?

Err, afaik Live! are French. Hedelmae is Finnish and we haven't said a thing :)

ps. Check out our Assembly 2006 demo.. Pulque by Hedelmae
Thanks for straightening out our stereotypes. By the way, awesome demo, definitely the best I've seen on GP2x so far! Keep up the great work.

I don't agree with Creep Tea winning at all either. It looks downright amateurish compared to Debris and Babylon Bastard.

Anyways, congrats to all the participants for pumping out some impressive fun.

I would have to agree with ninjak, my favorites were Babylon Bastard and Debris. However, I don't think there was any cheating involved, Creep Tea was also an impressive demo.

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 06:26 AM said:
I would have to agree with ninjak, my favorites were Babylon Bastard and Debris. However, I don't think there was any cheating involved, Creep Tea was also an impressive demo.
Yes, all three of the top demos were very nicely done. Contratulations to their authors.

There was very little difference between them in terms of quality in my opinion. BB is to be highly commended for the smoothness of its effect (I say effect because the demo consists of colored polygons on a gray background, plus a tunnel).

fragment posted on Aug 6 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
nem posted on Aug 6 2006 at 09:50 PM said:

Err, afaik Live! are French. Hedelmae is Finnish and we haven't said a thing :)

ps. Check out our Assembly 2006 demo.. Pulque by Hedelmae

Haha, sorry guys, mixed you up then ;)

National pride +1

H

How are people viewing these demos without running them on a GP2X? Sorry, newb coding question.

If I want to code for the system, is there a GP2X emulator or something that I can run in a windows environment, to test the programs on?

xtravbx posted on Aug 7 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
H

How are people viewing these demos without running them on a GP2X? Sorry, newb coding question.

If I want to code for the system, is there a GP2X emulator or something that I can run in a windows environment, to test the programs on?
There is as yet no gp2x emulator, the only way to code for the system is to own (or borrow) one. Some people have tried building generic SDL applications with the development kit and releasing them without testing them on a gp2x, but usually not with too much success.

It's a fun machine, you will enjoy owning one :)

xtravbx posted on Aug 7 2006 at 03:54 PM said:
H

Many coders have a usb-network (samba) set up, allowing them to run their programs straight from the computer to the GP2x.

Yono: I dont think he/she has a GP2X unit.

xtravbx: You can code something in SDL (2D) and the supported libraries such as SDL_mixer for the PC and the port to GP2X should be relatively simple if you take into account the hardware limitations of the platform. Unfortunately there is no GP2X emulator that is usable at present.

In a truly classy and generous gesture, Ukko and the other members of Live! have instructed me to donate their prize money from Babylon Bastard to the Gp2x Community Game Contest, which I will be doing later today. In fact, I'm so impressed that I will bump the prize up from 100 dollars to 100 euros so it looks nice on the donations page.

Thanks guys!

Dzz posted on Aug 8 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
In a truly classy and generous gesture, Ukko and the other members of Live! have instructed me to donate their prize money from Babylon Bastard to the Gp2x Community Game Contest, which I will be doing later today. In fact, I'm so impressed that I will bump the prize up from 100 dollars to 100 euros so it looks nice on the donations page.

Thanks guys!
Yay for Live! and yay for Dzz!

yaustar posted on Aug 7 2006 at 07:41 PM said:
Yono: I dont think he/she has a GP2X unit.

xtravbx: You can code something in SDL (2D) and the supported libraries such as SDL_mixer for the PC and the port to GP2X should be relatively simple if you take into account the hardware limitations of the platform. Unfortunately there is no GP2X emulator that is usable at present.
My mistake, I thought I remembered reading somewhere about xtravbx buying one off ebay. In that case, yaustar's suggestion would be the best way to go.

I finally got a chance to sit down and use all the demos. I say they are all quite excellent. Thanks to team Live! for donating their winnings to the gp2x community game contest. Thanks for Dzz for making this great contest. I hope there will be another one next year or so when the hardware is more expolited and people have time to get their hands deep down into the system and exploit its power.

This is getting exciting lol, all these big donations will surely spur some extra creativity in the games contest :) , thanks for your most generous contribution Ukko and all other members of Live!, and to everyone else that has donated, be it €1 or €100, you know it makes sense, the community will benefit and the winner will have a few extra pints of ale lol...

Back