melime

Still Fresh
Hi!
I have found some great news on Emuholic :rolleyes: :) :D :D :D :D :D :D

and here is the link http://gp2x.co.uk/gp2x2006/gp2x2006comp.html

nice!!!

GP2X Coding Competition Results
GP2X News

Craig and myself have been busy judging all the entries and we came to the decision that the top 3 places go to the following:

1) Bubble Train - Fantastic port, shockingly addictive, just try it!
2) Vektar - Jeff Minter would be proud. Dreamy visuals and silky smooth blastem up gameplay.
3) GNUBoy - Best GBC emu on the GP2X now with all the options you could ask for, fast, great sound and wonderful compatibility.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank everyone that participated in the competition. A 20 day deadline and 26 entries is a very good turnout especially with the GP2X being a fairly new console. You can check out the winners and the other entries via the compo results page here. Let us know what your favourite entries are on the forum!
Discuss the news on our forum, guest posting allowed. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I think efegea's should have won something, even though it isnt complete or w/e its what most people want :)

I also dont understand why a skin was accepted too since it isnt coding at all. Not bad ill be getting most of that stuff.

actually the results were mentioned in another thread but i'd say it deserves its own thread anyway.

congrats to the winners. so far i think my personal favorite is vektar. it has all those little finishing touches that make a great game. the new music and sound fx in ladykiller are great. and gnuboy2x is just perfect. i'm about to try out whacky.

regarding efegea's...i was intrigued but i wanted to make sure before i tried it that the program itself wasn't what bricked his gp2x! :) i'm sure it wasn't though. i'll be trying it shortly. also, i should say that sdl2x looks great. once i get more into c++ i'll be trying it out.

wow, bubbletrain is 30 megs :ph34r:

GNUboy, last time i tried the sound compatability was not so great, littleSoundDj was not playable ... i talked to K-teto about it a little, he said maybe someday the sound core could be re-coded but the task is large :)

anyway, awesome !!!! ... we need a :gp2x: smilie !!!

Vektar is just awseome! Its made the 26 day wait worthwhile alone for me.
Big pat on the back for everyone else too. Gnuboy will be getting a good run out when I get home from work today.
Respect everyone B)

I haven't played gpgeneral yet, but there are some problems with text.
It could be hardly noticeable, or it could be impossible to play.

wew. Vectar is really nice. I would have liked to see a more advanced version of Pulp Life. So far it is certainly a nice demo, lots of room for improvement here. Once the bugs are fixed I think it will be quite a nice game/engine.

starpause posted on Feb 26 2006 at 08:47 AM said:
GNUboy, last time i tried the sound compatability was not so great, littleSoundDj was not playable ... i talked to K-teto about it a little, he said maybe someday the sound core could be re-coded but the task is large  :) 
In that case you REALLY need to check the new version out. This is one of several changes listed in the readme: "Perfect sound thanks to total elimination of SDL and use of the minilib for sound." And I agree - it sounds fantastic!

edit - I still haven't worked savestates out in it though.
edit edit - Ah! L+R to get to the menu, then Y to get to savestates, then A to save or B to load. A bit tricky, but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most useful thing for me is SDL2X, as I can read through the source code, and it helps me see how stuff is done.

chimpoid posted on Feb 26 2006 at 11:00 AM said:
Hanz, whacky's source will be up in an hour or two.
Then you can see how not to code SDL :D

Chimpoid
Haha. I already know how not to code in SDL. hehe

That's odd. GnuBoy doesnt work for me. It gets to the rom selection screen, but nothing is there? I'm on oddbots firmware.

DuFace posted on Feb 26 2006 at 07:39 PM said:
That's odd. GnuBoy doesnt work for me. It gets to the rom selection screen, but nothing is there? I'm on oddbots firmware.

It worked fine for me on theoddbot's firmware. I was unable to actually save a game (this was before I heard about the save states). It would be nice if everything was nicely documented somewhere (like the readme) instead of in scrolling text. Oh well.

So in short: saving in game doesn't work for me, though save states should.

Back