Gp2x Coding Competition Results

i think it IS good, and im glad to hear there is a new version coming already with more songs! song 3 is hard dude!

miq01 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 01:30 PM said:
There is no dance mat support (and I don't think it would make much sense).

Well that's what I thought initially, and then I realised that with the TV-out support of the GP2X, Dance mat support seems more useful.

Incidently: I do like Beat2X! :) The songs felt different to what I'm used to playing on StepMania, but quite fun... although the health does seem to be a bit steeply rated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been having a lot of fun with Extraterrestres. havent beat story mode yet. best i did was get to level 7.

I noticed that after a while sometimes the graphics for the columns or powerups gets corrupted. also i notice while playing sometimes i can see the screen flash or look like i can see it refreshing or something. also while im glad you added some volume control in being able to turn it on or off i would really like to have incremental control of volume.

i would love volume control in beat2x as well. im not usually a fan of dance games mainly cause im not a fan of dancing but playing with the normal controller is actually more fun for me and makes it feel just more like a rhythm game like you are playing the drum beats especially with this game.

miq01 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 02:30 PM said:
triton posted on Feb 28 2006 at 01:13 AM said:
heh, i think im getting good at beat2x, best score so far is 7538! beat level one and 2 on normal and part of 3, cant wait for updates
:) I'll release an updated version very soon. And separately I'll release a new song pack made of 5 songs.

lhnz posted on Feb 28 2006 at 01:17 AM said:
I haven't tried it, is it that good.
Any chance for Dance mat support?
Really good, but my opinion doesn't count as I programmed it... :D

There is no dance mat support (and I don't think it would make much sense).
Well with TV-out support it could be kind of awesome.

PokeParadox posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
Well that's what I thought initially, and then I realised that with the TV-out support of the GP2X, Dance mat support seems more useful.
You're right. I always forget the TV-out option because I don't have one... :) With it, a dance mat really makes sense. But I wonder where could we connect it while in TV-out mode...

PokeParadox posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
Incidently: I do like Beat2X! :) The songs felt different to what I'm used to playing on StepMania, but quite fun... although the health does seem to be a bit steeply rated.
Well, i define it as a StepMania-like game so that anyone knows more or less what it is about, but in fact I decided to start working on Beat2X after playing (and liking a lot) Osu Tatakae Ouendan on Nintendo DS, which is quite different.

What does "a bit steeply rated" mean? Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker. :)

jbrodack posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
i would love volume control in beat2x as well. im not usually a fan of dance games mainly cause im not a fan of dancing but playing with the normal controller is actually more fun for me and makes it feel just more like a rhythm game like you are playing the drum beats especially with this game.
Volume control will probably be available in the next version (or the next after the next :)). About feeling like playing the drum beats, the third song has a bit of it. But like songs with steps (well, button presses) based on 4x4 beats, others based on the vocals, and others based on drums, so expect a mix of everything for the next song packs.

@Miq01, I loved the new release of Beat2x! Espcially with the new colour scheme (compared to the pale black and white :p ). I just have one issue which I believe can be worked on. If you ever played any of the console versions (Dreamcast or the PSX/2) of DDR, BOTH the D-pad (directional keys) AND 4 buttons (in Playstation's controller's case , X, O , 'square', 'triangle') can be used to control the left, right, up , down arrows in the game. This is extreeeeeeeeemmmely important for people who play really fast songs such as Paranoia or any of the Max's. It's infinitely easier to play a heavy, fast song with 2 sets keys than it is with one. Unfortunately, the GP2X A,B,X,Y buttons don't function in the same manner as the up, down, left, right keys do on a regular PC keyboard so you can't use that case to your defense <_<. But anyways, I do want to stress the importance of adding that second set of keys because I'm working on a 'finger-blistering' song pack for Beat2x with songs I've produced. All in all MIQ01, in order for me to go on with my project, I do really need you to consider what I have said !

Beat2x is an excellent game, but the songs are much too long, and the health meter goes down too quickly/you don't regain it quick enough/there's not enough to begin with (this is basically what PokeParadox meant by "a bit steeply rated"). Make the game a little easier (at least for easy and normal mode, that is) and the songs a lot shorter (less than 3 minutes) and it will be like a professional game.

Very good work.

jbrodack posted on Feb 28 2006 at 03:50 PM said:
Ive been having a lot of fun with Extraterrestres. havent beat story mode yet. best i did was get to level 7.
That's the last level in the game, you're almost there, don't give up!

I noticed that after a while sometimes the graphics for the columns or powerups gets corrupted. also i notice while playing sometimes i can see the screen flash or look like i can see it refreshing or something. also while im glad you added some volume control in being able to turn it on or off i would really like to have incremental control of volume.
I am aware of these problems. They used to be much worse and I found a way to minimize them (unintentionally :p ), but they still occassionally occur, and I'm not sure exactly why. I didn't notice any graphical glitches before I added sound to the game, so if they really bug you try playing the game without any sound.

I initially had incremental sound, but for some reason it only affected the sound effects volume, not the music volume (even though the code was there for it to affect both). I only had two days left to fix the problem so I decided to just make it an on/off switch because I thought it would be better to have the choice of having no sound/music than only being able to affect the sound effects volume.

I may get around to fixing these problems, but school is very busy this month so I would like to stay away from any more obligations.

Also, would anyone be interested in a high score board for extraterrestres? I've considered making one, but want to make sure there is some interest in it. BTW, my high score is about 580,000 or so :)

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
Also, would anyone be interested in a high score board for extraterrestres? I've considered making one, but want to make sure there is some interest in it. BTW, my high score is about 580,000 or so :)
High score tables are essential.

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
I noticed that after a while sometimes the graphics for the columns or powerups gets corrupted.
I am aware of these problems.
Are you using a SDL hardware surface with double buffering? I had gfx corruption when I used that. Paeryn knows about the problem. He may have even fixed it by now.

When I switched to a software surface without dblbuf, then the corruption went away.

High score tables are essential.
Would it be okay if it was just a high scores thread on these boards? Or would someone be willing to make a website for me?

Flavor posted on Feb 28 2006 at 10:01 PM said:
Are you using a SDL hardware surface with double buffering? I had gfx corruption when I used that. Paeryn knows about the problem. He may have even fixed it by now.

When I switched to a software surface without dblbuf, then the corruption went away.
Yes, I am......

Can you use DOUBLEBUF with SDL_SWSURFACE or do you have to make your own doublebuffer system?

EDIT: I misread your post, thought you said "with dblbuf". I originally had mine with software surface without dblbuf, but I was getting some slight graphical glitches and when I asked on IRC they recommended using HWSURFACE and DOUBLEBUF to fix it. It didn't completely fix it, but it definitely made it better.... however, this may be what caused these new graphical corruptions (the other ones were just pixels slightly off/flickering when things moved).

@mrpham. I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're talking about. Sorry, but I've never played any console version. Are you suggesting to use both the stick and the A,B,X,Y buttons during game? For example, B and RIGHT do the same, same for Y and UP, etc.? If so, I can add this feature in a sec. What I'm not going to implement now is the possibility of two simultaneous key presses (B and L, or whatever). Hope it's not what you're asking for.

Have you started working on the event files for each song of the pack you're working on? I think it's quite clear how they work, but if you need help, please ask. I'd really like to see packs from other people! :)

@iignotus. Yes, several people have told me about the songs being too long, so I probably have to agree with you all. :) But yes, 5 minutes for one song (the second one) is too much. 3 minutes would probably be enough.

About the meter going down too quickly, you're right (even though someone said to me it was too easy!). Now, every time you get a "poor", the energy is reduced by
- 8% of the maximum possible value on easy mode
- 12% ... on normal mode
- 16% ... on hard mode
- 18% ... on insane mode

Taking into account that energy starts at 50%, it means that on normal mode after failing about 5 times the game is over. So maybe I could shift the percents so that easy becomes 4, normal 8, hard 12 and insane 16. Or I could give more energy every time you hit the button when expected. Or I could make it start at 75%.

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 10:12 PM said:
Can you use DOUBLEBUF with SDL_SWSURFACE or do you have to make your own doublebuffer system?

I don't think you can use DOUBLEBUF with SWSURFACE. Just take out HWSURFACE | DOUBLEBUF and replace it with SWSURFACE.

Then see how your game works.

SDL_Flip will still work, but it won't actually flip, it'll just do an update.

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 10:12 PM said:
EDIT: I misread your post at thought you said "with dblbuf". I originally had mine with software surface without dblbuf, but I was getting some slight graphical glitches and when I asked on IRC they recommended using HWSURFACE and DOUBLEBUF to fix it. It didn't completely fix it, but it definitely made it better.... however, this may be what caused these new graphical corruptions (the other ones were just pixels slightly off/flickering when things moved).

I don't think you can use DOUBLEBUF with SWSURFACE. Just take out HWSURFACE | DOUBLEBUF and replace it with SWSURFACE.

Then see how your game works.

SDL_Flip will still work, but it won't actually flip, it'll just do an update.
Ok, I'll try that when I get some free time.

@mrpham. I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're talking about. Sorry, but I've never played any console version. Are you suggesting to use both the stick and the A,B,X,Y buttons during game? For example, B and RIGHT do the same, same for Y and UP, etc.? If so, I can add this feature in a sec. What I'm not going to implement now is the possibility of two simultaneous key presses (B and L, or whatever). Hope it's not what you're asking for.

That's exactly what I'm talking about actually. That is to say if the UP 'key' was acessed by the joystick being pushed upwards, that value would be that same as the 'Y' button being pressed on the GP2X.

And if you have any IM programs such as MSN or Yahoo, I'd like to discuss about how the events work for your game.

Alright, will do. I have many tests from now to the middle of March so I won't be able to get that much progress done to the song packs. I'll definately keep in touch, however, thereafter since I have a 2-week break at my school :) .

miq01 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:15 PM said:
@iignotus. Yes, several people have told me about the songs being too long, so I probably have to agree with you all. :) But yes, 5 minutes for one song (the second one) is too much. 3 minutes would probably be enough.

About the meter going down too quickly, you're right (even though someone said to me it was too easy!). Now, every time you get a "poor", the energy is reduced by
- 12% ... on normal mode
- 16% ... on hard mode
- 18% ... on insane mode

Taking into account that energy starts at 50%, it means that on normal mode after failing about 5 times the game is over. So maybe I could shift the percents so that easy becomes 4, normal 8, hard 12 and insane 16. Or I could give more energy every time you hit the button when expected. Or I could make it start at 75%.
I would say start the energy meter at 100%, but I'm not always right about these things :)

Easy mode should be just that: easily completable even when you're not really trying that hard. It would be nice to be able to just breeze through the game on occasion, especially since there are three other levels where you can really try your patience ;) So maybe, something like this would be acceptable for the "poor" ratings (while keeping the speeds intact, of course):

- 15% on easy
- 10% on normal
- 15% on hard
- 20% on insane

I know it's not very proportionate, but I feel that more players would be more pleased with the game this way, including myself.

And I LOVE the idea of making your own packs! I will definitely make some of my own in the future.

iignotus posted on Mar 1 2006 at 12:12 AM said:
miq01 posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:15 PM said:

- 12% ... on normal mode
- 16% ... on hard mode
- 18% ... on insane mode

I would say start the energy meter at 100%, but I'm not always right about these things :)

Easy mode should be just that: easily completable even when you're not really trying that hard. It would be nice to be able to just breeze through the game on occasion, especially since there are three other levels where you can really try your patience ;) So maybe, something like this would be acceptable for the "poor" ratings (while keeping the speeds intact, of course):

- 15% on easy
- 10% on normal
- 15% on hard
- 20% on insane

I know it's not very proportionate, but I feel that more players would be more pleased with the game this way, including myself.

And I LOVE the idea of making your own packs! I will definitely make some of my own in the future.

I don't see much point in keeping the energy bar 100%. The reason why the bar reaches 100% is because you've probably kept a consisitent combo and kept your misses to a minimum (with the addition of you feeling awesome for keeping it there!). If I already started 100% with my energy bar, then I can't really push it any further than that point, no matter how well I play the game!

mrpham posted on Feb 28 2006 at 08:03 PM said:
I don't see much point in keeping the energy bar 100%. The reason why the bar reaches 100% is because you've probably kept a consisitent combo and kept your misses to a minimum (with the addition of you feeling awesome for keeping it there!). If I already started 100% with my energy bar, then I can't really push it any further than that point, no matter how well I play the game!
I was banking on the chance that you would be able to make up the lost part of your energy bar after a couple of poors, being that I haven't yet had a perfect game on any setting :eek: :lol: It would be like you're keeping your score with all those moves, instead of working for it off the bat.

Back