Gp?? What'd You Say

whiskthecat

whiskthecat
Website
pigliver.blogsite.org
OK on many sites I see this new gamepark holdings system referred to as the gp2x or the gpx2. Which is the real name? What is the differnce? Whats it stand for? Why does it keep getting flipped around? Someone please help me out here. :blink:

It's very simple: it was originally the GPX2, but trademark/ assorted other legal worries had it renamed to GP2X. Not everyone is keeping up with the sweitch is all. Don't let it get to you.

I could be mistaken, being new around here, but the story I've heard is that it was once known as the GPX2, but there was concern about trademark issues with another company, a printer known as GPX. So they swapped around the X and the 2 and apparently that was enough of a change to make everyone happy.

EDIT: Dang, beaten to it! :p BTW, to answer what it stands for: To my knowledge, it doesn't stand for anything. The GP32 originally meant "GamePark 32-bit", so I guess this could be "GamePark (holdings) 2X" or something... I'm sure someone will come up with some gimmicky explanation, like the 2X referring to having dual processors or something... but I think it's just meant to sound similar to GP32 so people will recognize it as being related.

Its GP2X, it keeps getting "flipped around" due to the fact that it was origionally going to be GPX2 but apparently there is already a printer in korea named GPX and therefore the name could not be registered as it would seem like the GPX2 would be a successor to this other product, the GPX.

EDIT: wow people reply fast.

I think "GeePeeTwoEcks" is a bit of a crap name, to be honest. Frankly, I think it needs a friendly nickname, like "Miggy" for the Amiga. Therefore, I have decided that I will henceforth refer to the GP2X as "The Gamepark Squinky", or just "Squinky" for short.

Acually they did have a naming contest, but every name they chose had either been trademarked or plainly sucked, so they decided to just flip the letters ;p

Miggy...sounds really cheesy. I'd rather call it Amiga which is "girlfriend" :D

I'm calling mine SPS(Steaming Pile of Shit) because a while back when I first heard about the new system, I said I didn't care what the hell it was called, as long as it's a decent improvement over the GP32. Then I said that I didn't care if they called it the Steaming Pile of Shit. So yeah, that's what mine's gonna be called when I get it.

The name Squinky, if my memory serves me, comes from Monkey Island. It's one of the things you can say to the lookout on top of Melee Island: "Call me Squinky".

Back