Will Gp2x Play Snes Well?

trancegem

Still Fresh
hello,
I was going to buy a psp untill i saw the new version of the gp32 the gp2x, now i am thinking of getting this instead. I have seen the snes emulation on the gp32 is not the best. I have seen on lik-sang.com that the gp2x comes with a snes emulator. Does this mean gamepark made this emulator and it will be fully working upon its release. The way lik-sang shows how it comes with these emulators it would seen to be bad advertising if the emulators it shows do not have good compatibility. However what i have seen on web sites shows problems with snes emulation and i know that this system will have a faster cpu but i want to know if all gamepark did was port the old emulators for snes and such from the gp32. I sure hope that that gamepark did make these brand new emulators as they have more man power and money so they can do things faster. I think it will be a great system. I am not trying to be mean to the homebrew community. Its great what so many have done with this system. Please if anyone could help me with these questions and i want to pick what system i want to buy.

Yeah, what he said.

But anyway, from a current PSP owner,

the SNES emulation on the PSP isn't as great as people crack it up to be. SNES9XTYL is still fairly unstable, destroyed the memory card of a friend of mine, and it still has a ways to go. The other thing about SNES emulation , and emulation in general on the PSP, is that the D-PAD on the PSP is utter crap. It's horrible with diagnols.

And then there's yoshihiro............. :blink:

0-bake posted on Oct 24 2005 at 03:44 PM said:
the GP2X is officially advertised with "plays: SNES, GENESIS".
"plays" says nothing, the gp32 "plays" psx, but it is unplayable.

Last edited by a moderator:
so why would GPH advertise it with that slogan?

and it says it plays SNES in the "games"-section of the site.
it would be something like nitpicking just to say "it plays snes, but with an unplayable speed".
would be strange strategy for a company to says "our games are unplayable", hm?

and btw., the Gp32 was never officially advertised with "plays PSX".

you can't ask a question like this about a system that isn't even released yet. DUH!

as for the n-gage, i own one and most games are not that bad. n-gage is the best phone i've ever owned and playing the games, this thing gets such a bad rap. I even bashed it myself until i owned it.

If your basing your opinion on games like Red Faction or Tomb raider, then its time for you to play some of the newer games. I bet you don't even have one anyhow. Most n-gage bashers down't own the system.

the official site (www.gp2x.com) says:

Enjoy Games with GP2X now!
CPU which has 2D accelerator enables you enjoy games anytime anywhere. Meet the exclusive GP2X games along with abundant emulators such as MAME, SNES, Genesis, PC Engine etc

sounds promising.

My PSP memory card packed in when using SNES9XTYL too, Auritribe. Unless *I'm* your friend!

I was pretty impressed by it really. A decent 30+ fps on many games. One downside was the yucky scaling for the PSP's screen. Games are far more suited to the GP32's screen dimensions, which I believe will be the GP2X's screen?

Having said that the GP32 always looks dim and lifeless after playing on the PSP, which I must say has the best screen out...

thank you all for the info. im hoping that because it clearly says in the info about the gp2x that it can do snes the company really means it has a full working emulator that may not be perfect but is damn close to the pc version of snes9x. I dont see why the would say what it can do but then have people buy it and find out its a unstable beta or a emulator that runs only a few games as good as the pc version. I think im going to buy it and hold off on a nintendo ds flash card and if its not what i want then grab the psp after. I love the concept of the gp2x alot .I dont want to have to pay for a 2gb ms for the psp. If this turns out to be like it says i can buy a sd 1 gb card and use it also for my nintendo ds magic key 3 when i get it. The ms for the psp are twice as much and i cant use them for the two things i want to get. I really do like though how the psp has mac versions of its software 3rd party that look really good. I only use a mac and have to use Virtual pc now as it is for my flash2advance for the gba.

i also hope that they are telling the truth.
a portable snes would be a really nice thing :)

OKay, I am really sorry, but I HAVE to say this.
Why am I seeing so many threads asking if [this] will work on GP2X?!
SO I'm a bit hypocritical, but I don't see how anyone here can honestly know if [this] runs on GP2X cos it ain't been released yet!!
Sorry. That's the end of my rant.
EDIT: One final thing. Where'd the Question Marks go?

What you have to realise is that GPH arent coding any emulators at all! Everything on the GP2X apart from the mediaplayer/mp3 player etc. will be coded by devs in the communityso nothing is certain yet.

They should be more clear about this on their website to be honest because people like the owner of this thread will quickly take everything on their website as fact and expect SNES from day one. But that wouldnt sell many units now would it ;)

Back