Got My Pandora. First Impressions.

I too, enjoyed the review. Thank you :)

funkyarif said:
Love the in depth review Prometheus ....How does the SNES Emulator cope with super mario and Megaman series .....Is it ultra smooth or a little laggy like the dingoo....

I have recently managed to get SNES and Amiga emulation working on my arcade cabinet with perfect scrolling/screen-synch. This is something I've been trying to get working ever since I had a PC. I've rarely seen emulation of anything perfecting scrolling.
I wonder if it's possible to have perfect emulation on very different hardware (LCD)? Can the emulation alter the emulated computer's screen refresh to match the (newer) hardware? As i'm sure most of these games were designed for 50 to 60 Hz, whereas the displays of today can't do that (can they?).

Mario, on my arcade cab, has perfectly smooth scrolling. It is delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aninhumer said:
ste_167 said:
If Minimenu is run from xcfe, is it possible to launch a web browser from it without going back to the desktop?
Minimenu is not "run from xfce" as such. You can switch to it, but that means it closes xfce and opens minimenu.
However, I believe you can run a browser fine from either (might be wrong), although there would be no window in minimenu.
Would be interesting as it would mean i could use Minimenu 100% of the time, and not have to keep swapping.

I like the idea of using a bespoke pandora menu system as the pandora was never meant to be a mini netbook.

fusion_power said:
Nice Review. :)

I wonder, if this issue with the "unplain" closed lid can be solved, have seen this already at some photos yet

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/Prometheus_ZXA/Pandora_Front_Closed.png

Was there already a reason discovered why it's not closing plain?

Edit: found quote

EvilDragon said:
rmm21 said:
What about the lid gap that shows on the left side above the power button when closed? Has that been rectified hopefully? :)

Can never be, since the hinge is on the right side and is pushing it further down than it is on the left side.

Thanks for the review Prometheus, not so much for making me want mine SO MUCH MORE.

may88 said:
Exophase said:
Wait, there were pictures of Prometheus but they're gone now? Does that mean I also have to post and quickly delete pictures now? :c
Doh! I missed them. The mystery remains.
I did notice that all the pictures were carefully angled to reduce any reflective image of the elusive Ms. :p .

I find it hard to believe anybody could accidentally post the wrong image. I mean, you have to put image tags around it and everything!

Anybody have a one of those machines from Bladerunner? Zoom in on the keyboard buttons!

Prometheus, your photos are terrible by the way. :p

Exophase said:
Wait, there were pictures of Prometheus but they're gone now? Does that mean I also have to post and quickly delete pictures now? :c
There were no pictures of me at any point, only the photographs I put up of the Pandora (and the CPS2 stuff). I'm not quite sure why you think there were. :lol: Anyway, you have no need to post pictures. :p

may88 said:
Exophase said:
Doh! I missed them. The mystery remains.
I did notice that all the pictures were carefully angled to reduce any reflective image of the elusive Ms. :p .
The screen isn't all that reflective, so that wasn't difficult. :p

funkyarif said:
Love the in depth review Prometheus ....How does the SNES Emulator cope with super mario and Megaman series .....Is it ultra smooth or a little laggy like the dingoo....
I haven't tried anything Mario-related, but I'm the local Mega Man nut, and I can say that it's smooth (note that much of my SNES stuff is NTSC, though, so I can't try the PAL versions in some cases). No lag. The only game I've experienced iffy speed/sync stuff with was Star Fox, but I went into that in one of my previous replies.

SomeGuy99 said:
I find it hard to believe anybody could accidentally post the wrong image. I mean, you have to put image tags around it and everything!
I didn't, so... :p

Anybody have a one of those machines from Bladerunner? Zoom in on the keyboard buttons!
A gajillion miniature Prometheuses reflected in keys laugh at this.

Wow, first review done by someone that isn't overly negative! Great review, I hope I get mine soon. Some of the other reviews that have been popping up have kinda put me off but now I'm excited again, this is both a good and a bad thing as now it's harder to wait.

Prometheus said:

Yep, looks like a misread something. Better luck next time.

second exodous said:
Wow, first review done by someone that isn't overly negative! Great review, I hope I get mine soon. Some of the other reviews that have been popping up have kinda put me off but now I'm excited again, this is both a good and a bad thing as now it's harder to wait.

But if anything, the positive reviews will have you so hyped that maybe you'll have a reality shock? And maybe that means you'll post a negative, or mixed review (like I did)?

At the moment you're in imaginary Pandora land where everything can be as amazing as you want it to be.

Prometheus is almost pathologically positive about everything she likes, so I've noticed. Now me... I'm not a negative guy! If you asked anyone who knows me, they would call me pathologically happy person too. But that's the real world. Here in imagination land where I've been for the past two years, I had a serious clash with the reality of the machine I bought.

Just incase you need me to say it for you: The Pandora is good! It's just not good in the same way as the Pandora in my head was (that was a personal prototype I guess).

SomeGuy99 said:
Prometheus is almost pathologically positive about everything she likes, so I've noticed.
Or is it more that my expectations were different to yours? ;) I got what I expected, that's why I'm so positive about it.

SomeGuy99 said:
second exodous said:

But if anything, the positive reviews will have you so hyped that maybe you'll have a reality shock? And maybe that means you'll post a negative, or mixed review (like I did)?

At the moment you're in imaginary Pandora land where everything can be as amazing as you want it to be.

Prometheus is almost pathologically positive about everything she likes, so I've noticed. Now me... I'm not a negative guy! If you asked anyone who knows me, they would call me pathologically happy person too. But that's the real world. Here in imagination land where I've been for the past two years, I had a serious clash with the reality of the machine I bought.

Just incase you need me to say it for you: The Pandora is good! It's just not good in the same way as the Pandora in my head was (that was a personal prototype I guess).
Well, it's not just any one review that soured my expectations but just one after another. Really, if I took every review and said this % bad and this % good I think when clumped together I bet they are more positive than not.

I see movies the same way, I hear over good things I don't like the movie if I hear overly bad things I like the move(the Ring was scary to me after all the bad things I heard about it.) This review keeps a spark a live though, so it's a good thing for me. Also, I'm not overly picky on devices, the OS yes(I'm a Linux user so I'm really picky), but the actual hardware no. My desktop is an old beige case that I salvaged that has poor ventilation so the side is left off - but I run Linux so I'm happy with the OS, that's all that matters. Most of the negatives are about cosmetics of the case but everyone is getting games to run so I'm sure I'll like my Pandora.

Prometheus said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Prometheus is almost pathologically positive about everything she likes, so I've noticed.
Or is it more that my expectations were different to yours? ;) I got what I expected, that's why I'm so positive about it.

I got what I expected too. But I also didn't. Call it cognitive dissonance if you will.

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing them.[2] It is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

Dissonance occurs when a person perceives a logical inconsistency in their beliefs, when one idea implies the opposite of another. The dissonance might be experienced as guilt, anger, frustration, or even embarrassment. The idea of "sour grapes"—from the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE), where the fox decides that the grapes he is unable to reach are probably not ripe enough to eat anyway—illustrates an example of cognitive dissonance: desiring something, then criticizing it because it proves unattainable, a phenomenon that Jon Elster calls "adaptive preference formation."[1]

A powerful cause of dissonance is an idea in conflict with a fundamental element of the self-concept, such as "I am a good person" or "I made the right decision". The anxiety that comes with the possibility of having made a bad decision can lead to rationalization, the tendency to create additional reasons or justifications to support one's choices. A person who just spent too much money on a new car might decide that the new vehicle is much less likely to break down than his or her old car. This belief may or may not be true, but it would reduce dissonance and make the person feel better. Dissonance can also lead to confirmation bias, the denial of disconfirming evidence, and other ego defense mechanisms.

I've found all the reviews so far to be good. (curious about Spanish reviews :huh: )
When something bad is mentioned I put it into perspective, and I like to hear what they never liked.
I don't see it as them picking holes and when they do, it shows just how good it really is if that's what they had to find fault with.
Prometheus found missing light pipe endearing, I think WTF :lol: No matter how she feels about it ;)
Anyway Prometheus, and others thanks and keep them coming. Even if it does make the wait harder!

Na-Noo said:
Prometheus found missing light pipe endearing, I think WTF :lol: No matter how she feels about it ;)

Exactly. I think she's on some kind of medication (or if she isn't, she needs to be).
:p

SomeGuy99 said:
Na-Noo said:

Exactly. I think she's on some kind of medication (or if she isn't, she needs to be).
No, and no. :p Cheeky bugger.

Prometheus said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Na-Noo said:

No, and no. :p Cheeky bugger.

You remind me of my friends who are (and others who need to be). Don't be offended!

I bet if you lost an eye in an accident, like... the eyeball fell right out the socket, you'd call it endearing.

Yeah! Your eye socket is very endearing!

second exodous said:

I had similar feelings after reading this. Thanks Prometheus! :D

Jeez if you don't like the interview, say so and exit to stage left. No need to insult and say he is mentally imbalanced.

I thought it was a great review. Nice pics.

I'm pretty sure SomeGuy's just joking. :p

SomeGuy99 said:
I bet if you lost an eye in an accident, like... the eyeball fell right out the socket, you'd call it endearing.

No, that's just gross. Your eye socket is gross.

Prometheus said:
I'm pretty sure SomeGuy's just joking. :p

SomeGuy99 said:

No, that's just gross. Your eye socket is gross.

This isn't a joke! How can you say such a thing?!

Having an empty eye socket is a difficult burden to bear, and now apparently it's a source of comedy. Thanks, now I know not to leave the house.

Oh wait... I'll just get an eye patch.

Dangermouse.jpg

Back