Google's Android Mobile Platform Ported To Beagle Board

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Don't know exactly if this should be in the dev corner, if not, please move. But i find the general section a bit depressing these days ;)

Anyway, from TI:

Google's Android Mobile Platform Ported to Beagle Board

The Linux-based Android mobile platform, which was developed by Google for smartphone handsets, has been ported to the OMAP35x based Beagle Board. This port reflects the versatility of Android and demonstrates that it can be used viably on alternative hardware. Beagle Board is an ultra-low cost, high performance, low power OMAP3 based platform designed by BeagleBoard.org community members and sold by Digi-Key.- More

Edit: link

personally, I'm waiting for their java engine to be ported, so we can run every Android app on the Pandora, in addition to the rest of the Pandora apps.

Well the processor has a dedicated java accelerator, but the TI guy I spoke to said that it wasn't quite "ready" yet... but when it is Android will fly!

Rick

spinghed said:
Well the processor has a dedicated java accelerator, but the TI guy I spoke to said that it wasn't quite "ready" yet... but when it is Android will fly!

Rick

The java accelerators in ARM cpus try to run some of the java bytecode directly on the CPU because JITing takes a few cycles and a lot of memory. The one in the pandora only has some stuff to help execute bytecode, but it isn't that helpful and it's all proprietary and unlikely to be used in an open source JVM.

Furthermore, android uses the Dalvik VM, which isn't even a JVM. It has it's own bytecode format instead of standard java bytecode. It just happens to run Java.

The pandora has enough memory (cpu cache and ram) so that a JIT will be beneficial and Google said they will develop a JIT for dalvik.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back