Google Maps for Android - now works offline - Has anyone tried this ?

Still useful for looking up directions and such even without location tracking. Through Wifi alone it freakishly knows generally where I am.

The offline features seem to work..

Last edited by a moderator:
I saved all of London and it was 30MB ... nice feature.

So going into airplane mode, or aeroplane mode, is that not killing the location side of things too?

It still knows my bearings so i guess not, i always thought that mode turned off all that, GPS and wireless and data

edit: just noticed this is in Android section sub Pandora .. didn't realise when i posted, I'm just using it on an Android phone not Pandora

FYI I was using it on the Pandora when I said it working fine...

In Google maps go into the settings window and select Make available offline.

I'm not sure, It seems you can give it locations and it will save it.. I downloaded my most traveled cities and such..

Mine was 82MB (Melbourne in Australia) and while it is indeed an awesome little feature...it still lacks the deep zoom break-down of the tiny streets below, etc.

By the way, thanks for your helpTMG, it has really come in handy today.

Mine works fine at zoom level.. all London i done, everything in the M25 so greater London area too.

30MB

I go to airplane mode and i can zoom right in and see the road names for small roads too, perfectly

Can you do Street View?

That would probably bloat the on-disk size rather considerably ;-)

I wonder if I just type in "United Kingdom", would it download the entire UK? That would be very handy to have an SD card dedicated to!

D.

I have street view installed.. works fine on the wifi.. don't think it works in offline mode.

I just installed it and downloaded my town and neighbouring city`s map on my Pandora. It works pretty decently all things considered. A nifty little tool for the Pandora, heh.

Back