Best Android games/apps for Pandora

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
EDIT : danialo515 has made a google docs spreadsheet detailing Android Games / Apps for Pandora

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last week or so you're probably aware that Notaz has been working his magic again and we now have Android for Pandora.

Thought it might be a good idea to get peoples recommendations for Android software that works well with Pandora.

When making recommendations it might be helpful if you could mention what type of unit (256 MB, 512MB, 1Ghz), clock speed and what release of Android for Pandora you are running it on.

I'd also recommend testing a game / app after a fresh boot of Android as performance seems to degrade considerably after running a few apps / games.

The following work well with my 1st batch 256MB unit @ 800MHz with r5 of Android for Pandora :

Pocket Racing : an old skool top-down 2D racer, with online scoreboards, race uploads & downloads.

Radiant : Take your stand against the alien horde in a vibrant space shooter.
Cut through hundreds of creeps to face giant monsters in unique bossfights. Collect special weapons and power-ups, upgrade your ship and save your homeworld!

Evac : Run for your life through colorful neon mazes, chased by countless and ever-vigilant security forces.

AI Factory : If you like board games then then the stuff from these guys is worth a look, I've tried the free versions of Connect 4, Reversi & Checkers and all work well with Pandora.

Wifi Analyzer : Turns your android device into a Wi-Fi analyzer. Shows the Wi-Fi channels around you. Helps you to find a less crowded channel for your wireless router.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazed how well Max Payne works on the Pandora, It's seems to be a fairly decent port of the original game. The controls seem to work fine if you use the Dpad for forward/backward, Strafe left and right movement, use the touch screen on the right hand for aim and turning.. Firing by default just happens to be right trigger. I've had it run pretty decent at 980mhz, I generally run exactly at 1Ghz for Android stuff. So the game is $4.99 on the Google Play Store.

I'd suggest GTA III, but it's a bit more of a resource hog than max payne and slows down considerable once you get further into the city.

Straw clutching time... some of my more useful apps, no idea if these could run but if so would be great, perhaps some of you could confirm one way or another on the possibility..

Cerberus

A great security application but utilises camera, obviously lacking, and tracking so suspect a no go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus

SKY Go

Only supported on some Android devises, so again suspect a no go.

At least till Sky get it running on all devices if that ever happens.

Caustic

A sweet music making application, I hope this can work, any thoughts?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singlecellsoftware.caustic&hl=en

Tune In radio

Nice interface and easy add favs, online radio, suspect this would work

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

Worms

The classic Worms game, nice on Android, this would be nice if it works

Also, with this Android running, could any VOIP work, theres a number of apparently for text/calls, would any work?

Good work Notaz

Tested on my ReBirth edition @ 800 Mhz

Like FZero I love Caustic. It ran but sounded terrible. Buffer underruns I think.

AIDE. an IDE for developing on Android. works well. Not tested it with any OpenGL code yet though.

BBC iPlayer works well.

Cheers Green7, perhaps that is something that can/will be improved upon.

SuPreme MPA might be another option, not the same but a fun music app too

Good news on iplayer

I'll give that Worms game a try.. I do own it, just need to install it.

Edit: It errors when installing, "Couldn't Install on USB storage or SD Card."

I've tried Skype, allows you to login and appears to run fine.. It just doesn't seem to actually do anything when you try to call someone.. sits there saying it's dialing but never completes a call.

Tank Hero runs well and you can control the tank with thw dPad - select keyboard WASD from settings menu.

Could please someone with Android running on its Pandora test, how good Opera mobile is? I use the Opera Browser since many years on my PC and I've heared that the mobile Version also is very good and fast, especialy with Html5 stuff. On my normal Pandora, I use Firefox for browsing. Its pretty stable and works like on the PC but it is not Optimized for mobile Devices and pretty slow.

I could see Opera Mobile as a good alternative when it runs decent under Android...and of course when it is supporting Pandora Controlls and Keyboard. :)

I get this a fair bit with a few apps, is there a specific reason for it?

It seems like installing apps to SD does not work on Pandora and some apps try to do this by default, however if you unmount your SD card (Settings/Storage/Unmount) before trying to install such an app then all should be well.

It seems like installing apps to SD does not work on Pandora and some apps try to do this by default, however if you unmount your SD card (Settings/Storage/Unmount) before trying to install such an app then all should be well.
Writing Ronin, not sure if this helps explain why you get that on some of your apps, looks to be with the apps' developers not enabling app2sd - I guess such apps cannot be moved to SD via the manage applications setting, can only run on the internal device memory.

http://www.newbiehel...or-sd-card.html

Cheers guys, will give that a go, seems like a winner :)

Add Riptide GP if you're looking for a nice racing game.

Supports custom key config, so it works with the Pandora controls without any further tools.

Spot-on 3D graphics with awesome speed.

Add Riptide GP if you're looking for a nice racing game.

Supports custom key config, so it works with the Pandora controls without any further tools.

Spot-on 3D graphics with awesome speed.

On my 256mb unit, the graphics in riptide gp are garbled and there are missing textures, just showing white polygons.

Maybe the sgxfixes in the new unit make it run well there, but it is mostly unplayable on an old one :(

well I tried that unmounting trick and sure enough I got it to install.. It runs great, but the game uses multi-touch a little too much.. a lot of actions need two fingers to make happen. There doesn't seem to be any keyboard controls.

Back