Gonna Get A New Tattoo...

No one has mentioned this, so I guess I will just in case no one knows...

"Scarface: The World is Yours" is the video game. You would directly be copying that ;)

00013220-480748.jpg

In conclusion, this idea is now horrible and should be buried :p

I design tattoos now and again when I have time because I enjoy creating something for people that has meaning and that they will enjoy. I can't tattoo myself but I may consider selling some of my stuff at some point. I have to agree that the Tribal tattoos are now getting out of hand. If you are getting one for a specific reason, be it that you are a mauri, then I see that point. However, tribal tattoos have become, for use of a better word, bastardized in that so many people have them and want them.

I believe that if you are going to have a tattoo, it should be something of particular meaning to you and not just something you saw and think 'That's cool! I'll get that tattooed onto my back.' I do feel for tattooists who constantly have to do dragons, dolphins, tribal art because there really is no pleasure in doing something so monotonous. Unless, like my example, you are a Mauri in which cause a tribal tattoo will have significant meaning for you. Oh, and I hate it when people get chinese lettering tattooed as well. Whats the point? If you have a message you want to convey, make sure people can read it.

I will say I have designed a few tribal tattoos myself but I have tried to get them away from being tribal. My best one is a cat fish one swimming under the water with a lily pad and a dragonfly on it. Bit cliched but it had meaning to me when I designed it.

I myself don't have any tattoos as I haven't seen, designed anything that has made me think 'that's something I want to have on me for the rest of my life.' I may get one one day. Just need to find/design the right thing.

The guy who does my tattoos is sort of our crew tattooist anyway so I know him personally aswell. He doesn't do any tribals and also no Asian "symbols" because of these reasons. He does a lot of tattoos for people from all over Germany who like his style but when someone comes into his studio and wants an Asian symbol he usually tells them he won't do it unless they've got some sort of cultural relation to the language. Normally people want shit like "my name in Chinese letters" and you need to explain to them that there are no letters like in the Romanic languages and that it will probably not translate to their name what they want done. I will also only get tattoos from guys I know and not from shops where you can walk in, open a book with predone designs and go "oh yeah, I want that". I think that's unacceptable.

@DCGM: I mentioned the video-game in my first post. One of the reasons I was having doubts ^^. Eventhough the phrase "the world is yours" would not be copied but quoted from the original movie as it plays a central role in it.

well "casual" tattoo is acceptable, if that's what some people want, why not? Tattoo artist need to pay the rent too hehe

I do get you, but it's like someone using windows to just surf the net is unacceptable cuz they never installed drivers or compiled a kernel =) it's just a different level of appreciation

for a lot of people, getting a tattoo is kind of a rite of passage... it's an "in" thing to do.

While these people obviously don't belong to our category of tattoo afficionados, it's not a reason to look down on em

but I've got to agree I hear a lot of "horror" stories from my friends of dumb people getting dumb tatoos and acting dumb about it... but who knows! Maybe they're super good at making soup! =D

@ xcen - I have a photo of one of my designs on my phone. Can't remember where I put my sketch book with my other stuff though (Have been redecorating my room lately). I'll link it into here later for y'all to see, although I'm sure many won't be impressed because it is a tribal tattoo but I think it works well in that art style.

Want a Scarface tattoo? What about you write "Say hello to my little friend" on your crotch?

lol... actually that would be really funny. I'd have to be pretty drunk to do something like this though ^^.

Ganepark32 said:
Oh, and I hate it when people get chinese lettering tattooed as well. Whats the point? If you have a message you want to convey, make sure people can read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_langu...speakers#Top_20 :unsure:

Anyways, I like the idea of "the world is yours" "but at what price?"
this conveys a much different image than that of the cliche scarface movie poster and tagline.
I think you can take the core idea from your 'scarface' idea, and apply it to something much less ....laughable (idk if this is the right word for the situation)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Andius - What was the point of that link? I know that there are many languages spoken around the world, some by many millions of people and others by about 30 or so people, so there was no real relevance. I was merely referring to the fact that Americans and British people have a tendancy to get things tattooed on their shoulder/arm/etc. in chinese for no real reason other than to make themselves look somewhat cool. Like I said, if you have a message that you wish to convey, get it in a language that people will understand. That goes for latin too. People getting chinese lettering pisses me off hugely but so does latin. Why do it? To look like an intellectual or something? Just put it in English!

I do get the whole kanji character thing, like the tribal stuff it's just a pleasing form, simple shapes are very nice and certainly less impacted by your arch enemy cell migration but personally I prefer the traditional richly colored yakuza vest and socks look.

A_SN said:
Want a Scarface tattoo? What about you write "Say hello to my little friend" on your crotch?

This is most likely the best post I have ever read, ever. :lol:

A_SN said:

Sigged :D :D :D

Back