Gonna Get A New Tattoo...

___

Advanced Member
Okay here goes.

I have a huge tattoo on my back and I am looking to get another one on my right upper arm. I don't want to hear anyone go "tattoos are stupid blabla", I am already past that stage... I like tattoos and I want more ^^. I just wanna know if you think the motive I would like to get is terrible or would make for a good tattoo...

I want to have a b/w portrait of scarface (Al pacino) and the famous words "the world is yours". Now considering that there is also a video game and that lots of fucking dumb gangster rappers on welfare use that image and that phrase, is this still a good idea? I just wanted to know what you guys think. Maybe someone on here who has tattoos himself might be able to formulate his opinion.

I could probably post this in a tattoo forum but I don't care about the opinion of people who will get their dongs tattooed and pierced or who think that branding their nickname onto their forehead looks elegant and fashionable. I want intelligent people who might happen to not be involved with the redlight scene to tell me what they think.

Cheers.

You don`t really say what your motive is for having another tattoo or your reasons for choosing that particular tattoo ?.

I was a bit worried for a second there, After reading the topic title and seeing you as the poster, And considering you were not too long ago trying to get into some girls knickers (I say this in jest :) ), I thought you were going to say something like, I`ve fallen in love with the crazy girl and i want to have her name tattooed on my forehead, Or some such silly idea. :rolleyes:

I breathe a sigh of relief. :p

Trooper

Yah, tattoos are awesome until you turn 70 and your back is sagging like a motherfucker. Then Al Pacino doesn't look so badass :p

To answer the question, though, NO. That is lame-o. Like you said, too many people doing scarface and screaming that phrase nowadays. It would look like you're just jumping on the bandwagon.

No, it's not a good idea.. Right now you're in the drunk/high phase of your life and in less than 10 you'll be a totally different person, more than likely.

Well, in my opinion I don't think you should get the tattoo. You are obviously a lot more conscious of what other people will think about your tattoo than thinking about your own reasons for getting it. If you are worried about the cliche image, then dont get it, simply find a tattoo that is more unique to yourself that also displays the message you are trying to convey. I personally find the quote a strange one to have tat'd onto yourself. It pretty much gives off the aura of egocentricity (is that a word? :p )

If you have doubts about the tattoo, getting the go-ahead from a bunch of randoms on an internet forum is not the best way to go. I would look into other images before making the leap.

Bassically, long story short, if the tat is what you want to get, im 100% behind it. If you are worried about what other people might think, its a no-go. I would also run it by the people you are in contact with the most, or the ones you care about most. They know you much better than forum members will, and are more likely to give you an informed answer to your question.

I'm thinking about getting this tattoo'd on my chest:

nametag.jpg

and carrying a marker pen around with me.

Hey xno! Tats are cool... yeah they`re going to sag when ur 70, but then again so will everything else on your body =)

Here are my tattoos:
I got the Tetragrammaton in hebrew on my right shoulder, but I'm going to have that covered up
137px-Tetragrammaton_scripts.svg.png

I got an enso on my left shoulder
608.jpg

my newest one is on my back, it's my customized version of the hacker emblem.
0x2a.png

I also have a "snake bite" piercing on my lower lip (two spikes) + 3 ear piercings =)

Ok that's for the showing off part.

I think ur tattoo is a "bad" idea (not up to anyone but you to decide that!) for the reasons you mentioned... this movie feels like what perverted Hip Hop, so for that reason I would not have that as a tattoo. I am a true hip hop fan (while still a metal head and an electro junkie o_O) and today's gangstah rap is everything hip hop was fighting against in the first place.

That being said, if you feel this is what you want, get it =P

The other dude is right about you being high/drunk and that it's a passing phase... but since it's not your first piece you already know that's the best time to make a tattoo move, otherwise you'll lose interest =)

EDIT: I think Andius made the best point, I very much agree with him

yeah well honestly my name is "Prophet Profane" when it comes to this =P visions of the future without knowing all I should about the past =P

*SPOILER*
I remember the first time I saw Scarface... I was like... wow, the guy fucks up his life, kills his best friend, his sister, and dies... to me it came with the message "indulging in hardcore criminal activities is a good way to fuck yourself up"...strangely enough, to a lot of other people it came with the message "the world is yours"

I don't get it... who would want that as a role model? *shrug*

@ Nova - That wouldn't be very good unless you were constantly walking around bare chested. Although ti owuld come in handy if you were having your way with some random lady and she couldn't remember your name because she had drunk too much so all she would have to do is look as your chest.

I say you should get a tattoo that says 'Your Face Here' on your arse, ala Mr. Quagmire.

Okay, I think I might not go with scarface then. You see, I got a "gangster" tattoo on my back already so I am not afraid someone will get a wrong idea... I got two barrettas on my shoulders, "wolfpack for life" banderole across the back. In the background I have an hourglass that's running out up to my neck and down to about the middle of my back. Below that is a wild rose. I might have to take a photo sometime because it's hard to imagine how it looks ^^. The guns stand for the eternal struggle of men, the hourglass represents the fact that our time is limited and constantly running out, the rose means that I am wild at heart. Wolfpack is sorta my crew and that's a tribute to them, my closest friends.

I asked close friends already about it, the problem with close friends is, that they will either go "oh man, that idea is shit" or "crazy stuff, do it... would be bad ass". So I thought, how about I ask some people who don't know me as good. Cause in the end, this leads people to judge me for what I might not actually be.

For me Scarface is a symbol for the devil in man. "The world is yours" should not be the complete phrase, for me it goes on asking "but at what price?". Do you need to be a monster to own the world? That's why I would like that tatt. I might go with something less irritating maybe... still has to be a gangster. I am thinking of the same image but sorta comic/oldschool style and Al Pacino's head being a skull or something like that... I will put some more thought into this.

Thanks for your opinions!

PS: If I am 70, I will look like a soggy bag of flour anyway. No harm done by some colour on the skin. And if I ever choose to give up my principles and way of life, I want to regret it and think of the old days.

Sphinxter said:
Tattoos are forever so it is wise to use subject matter that is timeless as well. Get a nice dragon or a skull instead.
Well that won't solve the issue. I don't want something that means nothing and that everyone has. I despise tribal tattoos for that reason. It's not just plain fashion, it's nothing without meaning. That's why I will not get something like a dragon or a skull... because it actually lasts forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see Scarface on ITV last night?

I love that film. Not to the extent that I would get Tony Montana tattoed onto my body though. Maybe I'll just set his image as my wallpaper...

xnopasaranx said:
I don't want something that means nothing and that everyone has. I despise tribal tattoos for that reason.
Glad you said that. When I saw the topic I thought that you would be wanting one of those. Was getting ready to bitch at you, then saw that you were going for something a bit more interesting :p

Also, anything Discworld related will instantly pwn :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha... discworld would be great for a tatt. How about a bunch of dwarves beating up a troll? Cause aren't we all troll haters on these boards ;-)

Back