Release GnuBoy updated

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to pickle for his great picklelauncher, I am happy to release a new version of GnuBoy which features a DPad-Friendly Rom selector with superfast directory reading speed.

Emulation itself hasn't changed.

ToDo:

* Include fullscreen / proportional scaling into the launcher (not yet supported by the launcher)

* Add VSync

Supports SRAM, up to 10 savestates, fullscreen scaling, proportional scaling.

Plays GB and GBC games.

Press 0 - 9 to select savestate slot, L to load and S to save.

Press Q for Quit.

* Launcher;

You'll start navigation in /media/ so you can select your SD Card and select any rom directory you want.

Keys:

* DPad: Scroll up / down (left / right for Quick scrolling)

* B to run a game

* X to go back one directory

* ESC to Quit

* You can use the keyboard buttons to jump to a letter.

Download: GnuBoy

Great work! Now there's something missing... oh yes a Pandora to play it on! :D

Thanks ED:

1. Did you get a chance to confirm the missing row of pixles bug I mentioned earlier in Super Mario Delux?

2. Will the rom selector remember the last folder it was on when the rom was selected?

Thanks again :)

If you hit Q to exit, will you go back to Picklelauncher?

Yes, Sir!

1. Did you get a chance to confirm the missing row of pixles bug I mentioned earlier in Super Mario Delux?

Checked it, but it looks exactly like this on my Pandora:

super-mario-bros-dx-big.jpg

The GBC version doesn't have a single pixel row above the score / time... maybe that's what confused you?

2. Will the rom selector remember the last folder it was on when the rom was selected?

Yes Sir :)

WOW Pickle, you've done it again! The Picklelauncher is the new sliced bread of the Pandora community, Awesome work.

Ed, thanks for this wonderful emu, a few more additions and tweeks and this one will be perfect.

Chris

WOW Pickle, you've done it again! The Picklelauncher is the new sliced bread of the Pandora community, Awesome work.

Ed, thanks for this wonderful emu, a few more additions and tweeks and this one will be perfect.

Chris

thanks!

ED has done an awesome job with the skinning :)

Of course I will listen to any bugs, improvements, suggestions from anyone to improve pickelauncher.

I'll update SNES9x4d4p next with it :)

With a cool skin like Gnuboy?

Happy days!

Can you fix the save states too???? :lol:

Is it me or do the button timings in Gnuboys Picklelauncher seem a little off?

It feels like it misses a button press when trying to move down a line in the list..

Everything else works awesomely :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With a cool skin like Gnuboy?

Sure :)

Can you fix the save states too???? :lol:

Skeezix might take a look at that.

It feels like it misses a button press when trying to move down a line in the list..

Hmm... I had that problem with skeezix' launcher, but Picklelauncher seems to be fine for me in that area :)

Hmm... I had that problem with skeezix' launcher, but Picklelauncher seems to be fine for me in that area :)

Its certainly not an issue, just presenting my thoughts on it :)

I look forward to using other emu's with your skins and Pickle's launcher B)

Yeah, he did some great work there :)

I'll update SNES9x4d4p next with it :)
Ed, you are reading my mind.

I was hoping someone would add this to our SNES emu. Many great things happening, lets get those 3000 remaining units shipped ASAP! :lol:

Chris

It could made faster maybe, right now it pretty simple after the screen flip I do a delay for 100 ms. I could make this adjustable via config file.

I thought SNES9x4p was being set aside in favour of PocketSNES. That not the case anymore?

Well, PocketSNES needs a different audio core, but until then, why not make small fixes in the current emulator we have?

HitnRun was working on this (AFAIR), so other guys can work on the other emulator.

While it needs a bit of overclocking, it runs most games nicely, but the launcher could be way better :)

This ended up actually being a bug, ive redesigned the control input logic and anytime a press is detected you will move the selector.

I ran into confusion in choosing the directory in the PickleLauncher. When you start, the current directory on GnuBoy (for me) was ../../../ . I was hunting around with it, and in the process I hit the "go back a directory" button a bit, and ended up in ../, with no way that I could find to get back out to /media. It looked like the directory for GnuBoy itself. I didn't see a way to enter text manually, or a way to get back "down" to ../../../ . Since it didn't start me at the root directory, I couldn't figure out a way to navigate to where I wanted to be. The "go back a directory" icon wouldn't let me go "back" any more.

Also, some of my filenames have very long names, and for sequels of games, it's hard to know which file name to choose, because the (very cool) font is also very wide (but nicely legible).

I love the classic Gameboy skin on the PickleLauncher in general. Very cool.

I ran into confusion in choosing the directory in the PickleLauncher. When you start, the current directory on GnuBoy (for me) was ../../../ . I was hunting around with it, and in the process I hit the "go back a directory" button a bit, and ended up in ../, with no way that I could find to get back out to /media. It looked like the directory for GnuBoy itself. I didn't see a way to enter text manually, or a way to get back "down" to ../../../ . Since it didn't start me at the root directory, I couldn't figure out a way to navigate to where I wanted to be. The "go back a directory" icon wouldn't let me go "back" any more.

Also, some of my filenames have very long names, and for sequels of games, it's hard to know which file name to choose, because the (very cool) font is also very wide (but nicely legible).

I love the classic Gameboy skin on the PickleLauncher in general. Very cool.

The path is saved in profile.txt you can make this a absolute path or a relative path from where picklelauncher is run.

The next version will have support for adjusting font size.

Back