Gles2D, An Opengl(Es) Cross Platform 2D Library

Cpasjuste said:
I'm working for some time now on a 2D library for the pandora, which is now cross platform so we can build and run code on an i386 linux with an openGL based card.
I'm actually releasing the first official release, only the i386 binary for now, so people can try it, report back problem's and begin some cool games :)
You'll have to run linux and compile SDL 1.3 to use it ( svn checkout http://svn.libsdl.org/trunk/SDL ).
The header files are not really commented for now, but you can take a look at the exemples in the archive, i think they are pretty easy to understand.
Download : http://mydedibox.fr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=17&Itemid=29
ummm... sorry if it is stupid question, but is there a way to use it in windows?

Last edited by a moderator:
>> i'm not planning to release the sources for now,

You had me until right there. :( Having no source limits the ability to port and makes tracking down issues harder (I've submitted bug-fixes for SDL in the past, when I traced the issue into their underlying code). There are already plenty of other truly cross-platform hardware accelerated game dev libraries that do provide the source, so I'm not sure why you would keep yours closed. It just really diminishes any appeal of using it. :\

Since no one else has asked, I'd also like to throw out the question as to what licensing you're using. Is it LGPL like SDL, or what?

I also think it should be open source, but I fully respect his decision (and IMHO everyone should): he wrote it, so he chooses :)

BTW since it's closed source, it can't be LGPL ;)

3vi1 said:
Since no one else has asked, I'd also like to throw out the question as to what licensing you're using. Is it LGPL like SDL, or what?
If it were (L)GPL you'd be able to force him to give you the source, so probably something like MIT.

In any case, the next step on the road to awesome would be making a Gallium3D driver for the SGX chip and have it support the vega state tracker for OpenVG support. Just 'cause.
Out of curiosity, is there any documentation available for the SGX?

I'm not releasing the sources because i don't want to for now. Since all is writed from scratch except some code took from SDL_mappy for tile map (under GPL) i think i can do what i want :p
It's the first time ever i do not release the source of a project so i hope people won't blame me for that.

Else i'v just updated the library, link is in the first post. I'v added better collision support with samples.

Cpasjuste said:
I'm not releasing the sources because i don't want to for now. Since all is writed from scratch except some code took from SDL_mappy for tile map (under GPL) i think i can do what i want :p

I believe that if you copy any GPL code for use in your own program, you must license your program under the GPL as well, meaning that if you distribute your program, you must make the source available. If you would like to continue to distribute binaries without source code, you will probably need to rewrite any parts of your program that use GPL code. Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I am mistaken.

closetwam said:
I believe that if you copy any GPL code for use in your own program, you must license your program under the GPL as well, meaning that if you distribute your program, you must make the source available. If you would like to continue to distribute binaries without source code, you will probably need to rewrite any parts of your program that use GPL code. Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I am mistaken.
That's not really true: the part you copy should be "significant", for some definition of "significant" :)

Laurent said:
closetwam said:
That's not really true: the part you copy should be "significant", for some definition of "significant" :)
Hm, where does it say "significant"? There's no such word in the GPL license. It's the first time I've seen this claim. The only remotely similar issue I know about is when FSF wants you to sign over copyright for work you do on FSF projects, if it's less than some 10 lines (IIRC) or thereabouts then you can skip it. But that's not got anything to do with the GPL really.

closetwam said:
Cpasjuste said:

If I'm correct, if you release the binary, you must release the source to anybody HAVING the binary and ASKING for the source of it. That's why Sony don't give gcc source for PSP because you're not supposed to have the binary without signing a NDA : that's their only protection against GPL.

Tor said:
Hm, where does it say "significant"? There's no such word in the GPL license. It's the first time I've seen this claim. The only remotely similar issue I know about is when FSF wants you to sign over copyright for work you do on FSF projects, if it's less than some 10 lines (IIRC) or thereabouts then you can skip it. But that's not got anything to do with the GPL really.
I remember reading something along these lines in an article titled "common misconceptions about the GPL". Alas the site is dead: http://www.itmanager...6/08/21/1659203
I perhaps remember wrong...

This looks great! Might be something that'll get me jump-started into some kind of coding for Pandora. LuaPlayer got me interested on PSP, maybe this will get me interested on Pandora. :D

I'm with the rest of the Windows crew, though... I have no current access to Linux, so if there will be a Windows build, I'll be very happy. :)

-Tj- said:
This looks great! Might be something that'll get me jump-started into some kind of coding for Pandora. LuaPlayer got me interested on PSP, maybe this will get me interested on Pandora. :D

I'm with the rest of the Windows crew, though... I have no current access to Linux, so if there will be a Windows build, I'll be very happy. :)

Virtualization? dual booting?

i seriously dont know whats wrong with all of these windows users, linux is free, free to access and use. PLUS, you soon are gonna be using a platform that runs linux, any sane developer would demand of him/her self at least a little of experience in knowing such environment, BEFORE programing for it.

so why not start now? its gonna be much tougher to get to know lin on the pandy only.

btw this is not a rant at Tj specifically but all all of the windows whiners out there:

learn technology, start using linux now!

cheers

AndIn^.^ said:
[...]

any sane developer would demand of him/her self at least a little of experience in knowing such environment, BEFORE programing for it.

so why not start now? its gonna be much tougher to get to know lin on the pandy only.

[...]

+1

AndIn^.^ said:
-Tj- said:

i seriously dont know whats wrong with all of these windows users, linux is free, free to access and use. PLUS, you soon are gonna be using a platform that runs linux, any sane developer would demand of him/her self at least a little of experience in knowing such environment, BEFORE programing for it.

btw this is not a rant at Tj specifically but all all of the windows whiners out there:

cheers

To preface my post: I dual-boot Linux and Windows, and have happily done so for years. I use Windows for everyday tasks, multimedia purposes, and games. I mainly just use Linux for development purposes.

That being said, the view that Windows users should just drop it and use Linux is (IMHO) completely ignorant. There are TONS of programs that are written for Windows. Yes, some of them have Linux counterparts, but not all do. There's a lot of Windows software that you can't find equivalents for on Linux. There are also many Windows programs that don't run well in Wine. Not to mention the hundreds upon hundreds of games written for Windows that you really do need Windows to run properly. There's no good reason to switch entirely over to Linux and drop Windows entirely.

EDIT: Really sorry for the totally OT post, cpasjuste. I just couldn't restrain myself. <_<

Vorporeal said:
AndIn^.^ said:
-Tj- said:

cheers

To preface my post: I dual-boot Linux and Windows, and have happily done so for years. I use Windows for everyday tasks, multimedia purposes, and games. I mainly just use Linux for development purposes.

That being said, the view that Windows users should just drop it and use Linux is (IMHO) completely ignorant. There are TONS of programs that are written for Windows. Yes, some of them have Linux counterparts, but not all do. There's a lot of Windows software that you can't find equivalents for on Linux. There are also many Windows programs that don't run well in Wine. Not to mention the hundreds upon hundreds of games written for Windows that you really do need Windows to run properly. There's no good reason to switch entirely over to Linux and drop Windows entirely.

EDIT: Really sorry for the totally OT post, cpasjuste. I just couldn't restrain myself. <_<

You know, he/she didn't say anything about dropping Windows entirely. In fact, the first two words in his/her post was virtualization and dual booting, showing that the two OS's can live side-by-side in harmony. The point that I read from this post, and what I gave + for, first and foremost, was the fact that if you are going to be developing for a specific platform, it's best to learn as much as you can about said platform. And the best way to learn Linux, is to actually use it. And secondly, there should be no reason why anyone couldn't use it to learn it better. For as everyone knows (or should know) Linux is free. :)

So please do not take what "AndIn^.^" said as an insult or an attack against you or I or anyone who uses Windows. He/she was merely telling a simple truth. The same could be said that, it would be unwise for someone to suddenly start developing for Windows, without ever having actually used it, or knowing next to nothing about it.

It only makes sense to take a little bit of time to get to know the platform in which you are hoping to develop for before starting development, as to be better prepared, yes? I think that's the point "AndIn^.^" was trying to make. And also what I was trying to advocate.

Thank you. :)

Edit: Though I can see why you would take it as an attack. Calling all Windows users "whiners" certainly wasn't necessary, nor true. I dual-boot Windows and Linux myself, and I am no whiner...or at least, I don't think I am. :p

Hence why I didn't quote that part of his/her post. ;)

AndIn^.^ said:
-Tj- said:

cheers

I see where the misunderstanding was. I took that first line (bold for emphasis) to mean "why are these silly Windows users using virtualization and dual booting", not "why don't these windows users try out linux - they can use virtualization or dual booting to run both Windows and Linux on their machines". (EDIT: I also took it totally out of context of the post he quoted. Damn it, that was SO dumb of me.)

I really should get more sleep... :(

(I seem to be making this same mistake a lot lately, I guess it's just me getting overly impatient with people due to the massive influx of whiny new users... Really sorry to everyone who I misunderstand and judge unfairly. I'm not generally like this, I swear.)

Vorporeal said:
I see where the misunderstanding was. I took that first line (bold for emphasis) to mean "why are these silly Windows users using virtualization and dual booting", not "why don't these windows users try out linux - they can use virtualization or dual booting to run both Windows and Linux on their machines". (EDIT: I also took it totally out of context of the post he quoted. Damn it, that was SO dumb of me.)
I must admit that I read the first line like you did at first. However after reading the rest of the post I realized what (s)he had meant. So don't feel bad about it, you weren't the only one :)

Back