Giz Homebrew

critical

Certified Guru
Website
www.handheldhacker.com
Hi,

I don't really think locking the thread (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=27127) is the answer to people being idiots - can't you just ban them? It lets fools dictate discussion otherwise... the message it sends is "if you want to end a topic, just be a prick posting in it". That can't be right.

Anyway, to use my right of reply:

DaveC:
Really? are you sure? Looks like you have gone completely Giz crazy to me wink.gif Do you really like it that much better?
It's not about liking it better or worse than the GP2X. It's just different. I didn't plan on doing anything for it particularly, but had a play around and found it quite easy to do basic ports. Consequently, I thought I'd release a few emulators to try to kick-start the Gizmondo homebrew scene, showing that it's quite easy to get stuff running on it.

Craigix:
Squidge was not able to get things to run on the giz even at GP2X speeds due to the slow 2D hardware, so i'd not worry too much.
There are certainly annoyances with 2D on the Gizmondo, but they aren't insurmountable. Squidge got his PC Engine port running a lot faster than it was before.

supaimposter:
I warned you before that I would be very annoyed with any more of this

From this thread:
http://www.gizmondoforums.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6524

supaimposter: winuae please critical before you go, (and you only said you were mainly doing emu's for the gp2x because craigx was on here earlier) smile.gif the Gizmndo is far more powerfull smile.gif

me: I prefer coding for the GP2X, and will continue to work on whatever I feel like. I don't care whether craigix was on here earlier or not - he's not my boss, and in fact I've only ever paid him money. It's irrelevant. If people continue playing one console off against another, I'll just leave here. I'm keen to get feedback on my released stuff, but spare me the rest, please - I'm not interested.
Which part of that did you have trouble understanding?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main problem with the Gizmondo is that it was designed and built as a 3D device, and as such, constant writing to the frame buffer (ie. 2d apps) drops the performance through the floor. Even with optimized assembler, I was unable to get more than 52 fps on the PC Engine emulator, and in the end implemented a frame skip (although not your standard frame skip - the frames are still rendered by the emulator, but only every other frame is actually passed to the Giz's display hardware).

This is what Craigix is talking about - the exact same code on the Gp2X runs at over 60 fps.

Obviously however, for systems that require more processor power, like GBA, Amiga, etc, then the Giz is going to be faster, as it is no longer the frame buffer that is slowing things down.

I'd like to see how fast Amiga stuff runs on the Giz, but I find that the more I use the Giz, the more it seems to annoy me (mainly due to it's small screen, and the annoyances of the dev environment).

I agree fully with Critical and wish instead of closing threads mods would just delete posts that are just there to cause trouble.

Personally I would prefer to see both you guys continue your gp2x projects especially UAE4ALL, but hey if you get a kick out of working on the Giz then by all means do what makes you happy. :)

Squidge posted on Apr 27 2006 at 09:45 AM said:
I think the main problem with the Gizmondo is that it was designed and built as a 3D device, and as such, constant writing to the frame buffer (ie. 2d apps) drops the performance through the floor. Even with optimized assembler, I was unable to get more than 52 fps on the PC Engine emulator, and in the end implemented a frame skip (although not your standard frame skip - the frames are still rendered by the emulator, but only every other frame is actually passed to the Giz's display hardware).
Thanks for the explanation :) It is a bit alarming the way it renders, it must be said!

Obviously however, for systems that require more processor power, like GBA, Amiga, etc, then the Giz is going to be faster, as it is no longer the frame buffer that is slowing things down.
Understood.

I'd like to see how fast Amiga stuff runs on the Giz, but I find that the more I use the Giz, the more it seems to annoy me (mainly due to it's small screen, and the annoyances of the dev environment).
Well, I'm not going to do the Amiga (or probably anything else) for the Gizmondo now (well, not on full release). I'm thoroughly fed up that the supaimposter idiot ignored the only thing I've asked for, and came here spouting crap again. I can well do without that...

Don't let one person put you off critical. I haven't got a GP2x or a Giz only a lowly GP32 but I still think you should code what you want for whatever platform you want. Bollocks to the rest of us, code stuff you want to see mate.

I think that's his intention - he'll most likely keep coding for the Giz, but probably keep his work to himself rather than basically attempt to help other people and get it thrown back in his face.

Not being a gp32 owner but a huge admirer of any handheld consoles, and yep im the same user from the forums on the giz site, sorry that one of our members irritated you guys. we get the same from psp users bashing us. but we just shrug them off as idiots as the majority of the time they are.

As you can see the members over there support you critical and all homebrewers willing to give their time to our handheld deeply sorry if they have put a black mark on our community with one persons remark.

Anyway what ever happens im sure uve shown the giz can do things and i hope it encourages a stronger bond between these communities in the future afterall were after the same things in the end.
awesome gameplay and a demand for learning.

gp32_console B)

Trevsweb posted on Apr 27 2006 at 12:39 PM said:
Not being a gp32 owner but a huge admirer of any handheld consoles, and yep im the same user from the forums on the giz site, sorry that one of our members irritated you guys. we get the same from psp users bashing us. but we just shrug them off as idiots as the majority of the time they are.

As you can see the members over there support you critical and all homebrewers willing to give their time to our handheld deeply sorry if they have put a black mark on our community with one persons remark.

Anyway what ever happens im sure uve shown the giz can do things and i hope it encourages a stronger bond between these communities in the future afterall were after the same things in the end.

gp32_console B)
Here here...
I'm a bit surprised at superimposter as i thought he was more intelligent than that.
Gizmondo owners certainly dont have blinders on to the world in terms of the Giz's power, certainly it was one of the reasons why the Gizmondo widescreen was being produced as the first giz had the nvidia chip chucked in at the last min and hence why they have troubles getting the most out of the chip what with buffer problems etc, also it was well known the 2D hardware was lacking as well despite the 400mhz processor which also suprises me about superimoster remarks.
But certainly dont stop because of a comment like that, stop either because you havent the time or have got the most out of a particular machine....though i certainly dont believe its either...

Trevsweb posted on Apr 27 2006 at 08:39 AM said:

gp32_console B)
ditto.

raise your glasses!
drinks.gif

Hey guys....

I just wanted to back up what Trev said. I have been a GP fan for many years and have a place for both systems in my gaming heart. I hope the presence of one member, from the Giz forum has not resulted in the whole giz userbase being sterotyped by the guys (and gals) here.

BTW the Gizmondo was infact down to £40 at HMV and it has some nice games (Trailblazer, Hit and Myth). I always liked the look of the console and could not pass it up at that price.

I hope i can speak for the majority of the Giz owners when i say we are grateful to Squidge, Critical, and the other few people that took time out to help out the Gizmondo community.

Yeah its just a pity that people didnt decide to back the giz when it was full price then it might still be here today.
Nice to see the clique sticking together , people can come on giz forum and slag it off but god forbid anyone saying anything about GP on here.

(Just a quick apology for locking the other thread ... I've got bad reflexes .... 'twon't happen again)

supaimposter posted on Apr 27 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
Yeah its just a pity that people didnt decide to back the giz when it was full price then it might still be here today.
Nice to see the clique sticking together , people can come on giz forum and slag it off but god forbid anyone saying anything about GP on here.

URM no,

Do you read what happened with the gizmondo on the gizmondo forums? Or do you just go there to hack people off?

The Gizmondo was doomed from the start, because it had shady people at the helm. Even if it had sold x10 the amount it would have not saved it.

They were set to make money from Smart Ads which never got off the ground meaning that users got a free £100 discount from the begining, studios were left unpaid and all the time the people at the top are taking huge paycheques.

Having a few more people sign up to a forum would sure as hell not have saved the console.

Also the guys here are not hacked that we are talking about the Gizmondo, its the way you went about it, that hacked so many people off.

supaimposter posted on Apr 27 2006 at 11:06 PM said:

Yeah, but none of us came onto the giz forum and slagged it off.

Dear god, 40 quid!? Know if the offer is still on?

supaimposter: Please get your facts right before mouthing of in the future. The main culprit isn't craigix, and yes, as much as I know you'll hate to admit it, the gp2x will be faster than the Gizmondo at certain emulators regardless of the difference in hardware specification. Just because the processor is twice as fast doesn't mean it runs everything twice as fast you know...

Back