Giz Homebrew Taking Off Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huxley posted on Mar 31 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
Cracked as in open for free development? Last I heard Firefly had to sign apps before they're released...
Open for free development. Otaku released a replacement bootloader that allows unsigned code to run. FireFly seems to have gone off in a huff, taking his toys with him.

A homebrew SDK's being worked on, but you don't need that to start writing stuff for it (not that I am, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
It WinCE, so there's a SDK that coems with the Microsoft development environment (which you can download from MS's site for free).

The Giz SDK just adds examples of using the camera, gps, etc, along with a few additional windows messages for handling the additional keys, etc. They can be easily done without the official sdk. For example, direct frame buffer access is available through the standard DDraw, or you can do hardware accelerated 3D via OpenGL|ES.

Don't forget the fact that even the retail usb driver supports upload and execute - perfect for testing your apps :)

So i suppose you can call me a giz fanboy and yes i do own a gp2x aswell but now the giz can run homebrew you gotta admit snes would run at a blistreing pace on this machine (and amiga for that matter) maybe n64 emulation would be possible.
Anyway thats enough from me......Oh one more thing this part of the forum is for other consoles so i would class this thread as spam.

yeah its 400mhz, but how much system resource is being used to run WindowsCE in the back? My pocket PC being 232mhz can't do NES at full speed with sound and frameskip 0 because of Windows running in the background, is it the same scenario with the Giz? I would like to eventually own one of these, just not right now.

Squidge posted on Mar 31 2006 at 10:58 AM said:
Don't forget the fact that even the retail usb driver supports upload and execute - perfect for testing your apps :)
Yes - it's a breath of fresh air being able to deploy stuff easily. The GP2X will certainly get to that point in the near-ish future, though.

supaimposter posted on Mar 31 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
Anyway thats enough from me......Oh one more thing this part of the forum is for other consoles so i would class this thread as spam.
Yeeeees. You mean "wouldn't", of course. I agree that it isn't spam - people can seem to be a little over-defensive on here sometimes, but it's fantastic to have people that care so much.

Angel posted on Mar 31 2006 at 06:53 PM said:
yeah its 400mhz, but how much system resource is being used to run WindowsCE in the back? My pocket PC being 232mhz can't do NES at full speed with sound and frameskip 0 because of Windows running in the background, is it the same scenario with the Giz? I would like to eventually own one of these, just not right now.
The overhead doesn't seem to be too bad. Whilst your Pocket PC isn't doing NES at full speed at the moment, neither is the GP2X yet. The difference is that someone will be bothered to go all the way for the GP2X, and probably not for the Pocket PC.

Due to my professional background, I have a natural tendency to despise WinCE, but I can't argue with the results. I wouldn't wait to own one - they won't get any cheaper than they are now, I don't think.

supaimposter posted on Mar 31 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
So i suppose you can call me a giz fanboy and yes i do own a gp2x aswell but now the giz can run homebrew you gotta admit snes would run at a blistreing pace on this machine (and amiga for that matter) maybe n64 emulation would be possible.

Well it is like you ran here as fast as possible when you found out about giz HB just to try to "recruit" devs and users from here. We know that you want to try to get us interested in the giz. You figure you may entice a few to leave here and go to giz development. Otherwise there would be no point to the post. Of course you know there will be a reaction when you are trying to woo devs and users away.

The giz has a fast CPU but it has a small screen and a custom battery that will be hard to replace now that gizmondo is bust. It is already a doomed system. I would have considered it even but those things keep me away. I might as well run HB on my PSP, even that has more of a future than the giz.

critical posted on Mar 31 2006 at 08:35 AM said:
Huxley posted on Mar 31 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
Cracked as in open for free development? Last I heard Firefly had to sign apps before they're released...
Open for free development. Otaku released a replacement bootloader that allows unsigned code to run. FireFly seems to have gone off in a huff, taking his toys with him.

A homebrew SDK's being worked on, but you don't need that to start writing stuff for it (not that I am, of course).

Okay, that's fair enough then. If this gets enough developer support I might look in to it.

homebrew for the giz has been happening for a long time, i chose to write a thread on the all consoles part of the forum about it and DaveC has a tantrum.
Thanks for the cap for my Gp2X Dave it is real nice.
Now grow up

Wasnt trying to recruit users from this forum , its just that some people like to hear information about other machines.
Its nice to have a bit of verity (excuse the spelling)

I wouldn't worry about it, DaveC accuses everyone of stealing devs as soon as he sees them post on another consoles forums, and then post here afterwards saying anything about it. Take the Zodiac for example, he accused a couple of people of stealing developers for that too.

what he needs to realise is that developers will develope for whatever system interests them - they are not contracted to develope for a single system, although he does of course want them to concentrate on a single system to ensure he can get his "fs0 with sound" emulators that he demands ;)

I'm taking a look at the Giz's hardware accelerated OpenGL at the moment, and find it quite interesting. I think Quake/Quake2 (and others) would get a nice speedup, as well as look a lot better than just using software rendering.

So HMV are flogging them off for £50? I wish I could get back to England, as that's gotta be worth it.

Anyone know of any cheap web shops flogging them? They are going on ebay for significantly more....

Lubi: why not try and recruit someone from uk to buy you one and pay them for the console and postage to germany? I would, but my HMV don't seem to be offering this :(.

Thanks Nova, I'll ring my brother tomorrow...

But I know he'll tell me I have too many toys already :(

supaimposter posted on Mar 31 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
homebrew for the giz has been happening for a long time, i chose to write a thread on the all consoles part of the forum about it and DaveC has a tantrum.
Thanks for the cap for my Gp2X Dave it is real nice.
Now grow up

I saw a few of your fanboi posts on the giz forum. About "now that the giz has HB it will piss all over the GP2X" and "now that the giz has HB there is no need for a GP2X, I am gonna sell mine" Blah, Blah. It was hardly a "tantrum" but I don't buy your "public service announcement", sorry.

I guess with the cap at least you might get a few pennies more for the GP2X when you flogg it on ebay ;)

I'm just somewhat amused reading all these accounts of the failure of the Gizmondo company... it seems like an unnecessarily complicated money laundering scheme to me.

Squidge posted on Mar 31 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
what he needs to realise is that developers will develope for whatever system interests them - they are not contracted to develope for a single system, although he does of course want them to concentrate on a single system to ensure he can get his "fs0 with sound" emulators that he demands ;)

I am not demanding anything. Would I like something that was continued to near completion better than something abandoned half way though? I guess so but I don't demand it. I just don't buy Supa's motives I guess.

critical posted on Mar 29 2006 at 09:42 PM said:
An even longer delay, do you mean? :) No, I'm not going to jump ship... I've got more than enough that I want to do on the GP2X still. I'm not planning on developing for the Gizmondo in the near future More business than pleasure, and definitely not for the Gizmondo.

Really? are you sure? Looks like you have gone completely Giz crazy to me ;) Do you really like it that much better?

http://www.gizmondoforums.com/forums/index.php?showforum=30

Looks like other familiar folks really like the Gizmondo too :huh:

Squidge was not able to get things to run on the giz even at GP2X speeds due to the slow 2D hardware, so i'd not worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back