Given up with any games?

Fire Emblem Fates. I've been a Fire Emblem fan since the 7th game came to our shores and I adore Radiant Dawn, but this game is so boring, so annoying, and just so generally unappealing that I'm having trouble wanting to even complete my first playthrough.
Really? I'm totally loving it. I'm on my first playthrough of Birthright (deliberately delaying the ending - I'm on Chapter 24 with 107hours sunk into it, according to the SAVE GAME info) and grinding up all the characters. Most are now on MAX and can't be upgraded further. Sure, the story isn't grrat, but the in-game interactions between the characters is really engaging and entertaining, as well as the main missions themselves. Some of the dialogue is cheesy, but some it literally laugh out load for me. I love it, like all the other Fire emblem games.

I actually got the FE: Fates Special Edition with all three games on the cart, so even though I'm delaying finishing Birthright, I know I've still got two more games to play adn I'm pleased as punch!

Horses for course though.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machines... because BUGS !! The ones that makes IMPOSSIBLE to proceed, like a BOSS that doesn't appear, a door that becomes unresponsive, an object stuck on a table/machine/floor... and the only solution was to start the levels again !!

BUT it wasn't so simple as realoading the autosave !! Because the autosave pointed at the START of the bugged level, you instead had to replay the PREVIOUS level, remember to save at the end of it, and use that save to restart the next level everytime you were stuck !!!

BUT you just can't save/load too much times, else all the future saves will be corrupted !!

BUT they also made a patch !! A patch that invalidates ALL YOUR PREVIOUS SAVES once installed !! And it solved like 1% of all the mess...

I wanted too much to finish that game... I was so close, for THREE times... but in the end I left that damn box on the shelf... and I hate it everytime I look at it...

Loads, recently I don't finish any games with the exception of shmups - they still get my juices flowing and Dreamcast games.

I've pretty much given up on "Battle for Wesnoth" [1]. I kind of like the gameplay, but I seem to be unable to find a good balance for my unit composition and either end up with a lot of too weak units in the later stages of the first campaign, or with too few strong units to fulfill all the objectives within the turn limit.

Another game I haven't really given up on is "Zeppelin: Giants of the Sky" [2], but I have veeery long pauses between my sessions. I'm still playing one of my earliest savegames from about 20 years ago from time to time. I usually play 6 to 12 months in game time in a row and then abandon the game for like 2 years in real time.
The game files are mostly plain text, and from those I gathered that the story ends in 1940 or shortly after. I believe I'm in the early to mid 30s now. I think the current 2 years pause is almost over, so I guess i'm going to find out how far I am real soon, maybe around christmas. And at some point in the 2020s I'll probably find out how the game ends.

[1] https://www.wesnoth.org/
[2] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin:_Giants_of_the_Sky

i'm also looking for some time to go through the "good ending" of Cave Story. but i was annoyed by certain things -- had to modify the physics of jumping off of moving objects and the jetpack, to make momentum a real thing. (so not sure it will count in anyone else's eyes if i beat it :D.) but yeah, only made it to ballos once, ...

I have a lot of games, many I didn't finish. Some are still sealed. I never played through Sonic 1, I've tried a bunch (no save games).
I almost gave up on PS1 metal gear on the Dreamcast (Bleem!), but apparently there is a bug in the game that gave me the two end items (Invisibility and ammo if I remember correctly), this made it easier to finish.
There also was an Ubisoft game that required a ubisoft account, well I still do not have an account for that.

SpaceChem and Infested Planet became annoyingly hard about half way through.
I stopped playing Spacechem because my desktop computer was unavailable for some time (I've set it up again but I still doubt I'll be able to get any playtime on it soon), but I'm curious to know if I'll be able to make it. I was about halfway when I stopped and my brain was already hurting a bit but it was still manageable.

Really? I'm totally loving it. I'm on my first playthrough of Birthright (deliberately delaying the ending - I'm on Chapter 24 with 107hours sunk into it, according to the SAVE GAME info) and grinding up all the characters. Most are now on MAX and can't be upgraded further. Sure, the story isn't grrat, but the in-game interactions between the characters is really engaging and entertaining, as well as the main missions themselves. Some of the dialogue is cheesy, but some it literally laugh out load for me. I love it, like all the other Fire emblem games.

I actually got the FE: Fates Special Edition with all three games on the cart, so even though I'm delaying finishing Birthright, I know I've still got two more games to play adn I'm pleased as punch!

Horses for course though.
It's a very YMMV game. I got the Special Edition as well to give Intelligent Systems one final chance after the lump of disappointment known as Awakening (granted I have over 300 hours logged in that game, which are 99% composed of me just messing around with the character creator and grinding like I would with an MMORPG; the game itself was an utter failure of an FE game in my eyes, but was a good OC dream machine, i.e. a game that finally let me sort of put my Fire Emblem-inspired original fantasy characters into a sort of "Fire Emblem" setting) and it wouldn't be fair to them if I judged their latest after only playing part 1 of 3.
Now after I've played it, I can say that it wasn't fair to my wallet and bank account to have wasted such an enormous sum on such a big poo.
Could've put the money towards the GPD Win or the Pyra. At least those would let me emulate all the GOOD FE games on the go (can't wait to try PoR and RD on the Win, hopefully it can run those well enough).
Well, at least the free preorder key chains were pretty nice. Using Ryoma while my little bro gets the blonde dude whose name escapes me. Azura is in a box where her constant screeching won't eviscerate my ears.

LOL. Yeah, FE is not for everyone Re: Awakening: How can you put 300 hours into a game and say it's disappointing. Did it really take that long to discover you weren't enjoying it? :/ ;) :p Or was it just the lack of feet? ;)

LOL. Yeah, FE is not for everyone Re: Awakening: How can you put 300 hours into a game and say it's disappointing. Did it really take that long to discover you weren't enjoying it? :/ ;) :p Or was it just the lack of feet? ;)
Well I actually AM a Fire Emblem fan, it's just the two recent ones were way too lacking in story and gameplay for my liking. And no, fortunately it didn't take long to realize I was disappointed in the game. The thing is, I've been a fan of the series since my teen years, and for years I've been dreaming up my own original characters that heavily inspired by Fire Emblem's classes and settings and modifying them as the years past. So basically, when Nintendo finally releases a game (and actually BRINGS IT OVER...still pissed off about FE12) that finally lets me bring my characters into a Fire Emblem world, I was ecstatic. At least, partially, as the character creator is pretty limited :/
Of course, it stinks that the world I had to bring them into was a really subpar one, but it's still Fire Emblem, at least on the label. So yeah, the vast majority of those 300 hours was basically me just making my characters and GRINDING the crap out of them, almost religiously and putting them all in one file.
Hell, once I got bored of doing that I did the same thing again but with Neptunia characters (for example, Neptune as a Swordmaster and Blanc as a War Cleric). Though by then I was burnt out on grinding.
Awakening itself had a poor story, subpar gameplay, and decent but forgettable music especially when compared to FE4, FE6, and FE10's music. It had very few characters I cared about and even then those characters would have massive difficulty making it into my top 10 list of favorite characters out of the entire series.
Considering Fates ended up being mostly more of the same, with some things better and some things worse than Awakening, I just couldn't enjoy it. I'm burnt out on grinding my characters so I don't feel like remaking them yet again in Fates.
Currently I'm replaying FE4, FE6, FE12, and Tear Ring Saga on my Pandora Classic :D
Gonna redo FE9 and FE10 and give Berwick Saga a try once I get my Win.

Last edited:
Back