Gigas Engine 0.7.5

so is the combat type gonna be user defined also?
between live ( diablo ) and turn-based ( FF ) in the edit menu?
also, will there be new attacksheets and stuff for the turn based mode , please say yes
and will there be a moving backround capable?

~Octavious

I know that you will be able to pick between types of combat when your making the RPG. And I also know that there will be new sheets because it is needed for the different view, status alignments and other reasons. I'm gonna let Pirotic answer the last question :)

Hey Pirotic, could you answer some of my questions too please?! :) :) Just wondering. Ive just been estatic lately about what Ill be able to implement into my Sonic RPG game I want to make!! Its going to rock!

I've been playing tiny battles for weeks now, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them... but yesterday, I finally understood:

in a SoM style game, when you attack another person, you can "cancel" his or her attack if you attack before it, which makes for a slightly less frustrating and variable battle :)

...if you know what I mean ;)

I've been playing tiny battles for weeks now, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them... but yesterday, I finally understood:

in a SoM style game, when you attack another person, you can "cancel" his or her attack if you attack before it, which makes for a slightly less frustrating and variable battle :)

...if you know what I mean ;)
aha, so thats what's missing :) i'll add that at the top of the todo list.

and will there be a moving backround capable?

im undecided on that, most people would just static backgrounds so it'd be a waste of SMC space making them repeat that background for x number of frames in order to fit into the template.. but then again animated would look alot better, i may have to make two different types of templates, animated backgrounds and static backgrounds.

the turn-based combat will have particle effects and a zooming camera etc, as not having to draw 3 layers of tiles will leave me with a fair amount of CPU to play with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just coded in save-game support, you now get 3 save-games for each game :)

Had to make a few changes, basically you get the "Play" and "Edit" options to begin with as normal, but if you select Play you then get taken to the title screen where you can create and select which savegame you wish to use.
Once playing a savegame, you can no longer 'Edit' it (people would just cheat).

Also When your playing a savegame, and you leave a map - it'll automatically save the changes to the map you've left (and it'll save the triggers), so if i walk onto a map and kill some badguys, when i return to that map later on the badguys will still be dead, also if i created a hotspot which deletes on first use (for say, triggering a cutscene) - that hotspot will stay deleted FOREVER, even if i leave the map.

(i added a few new map settings, such as if the monsters should respawn everytime you load the map etc, incase you dont want them to stay dead).

Playing a save-game will NEVER edit the original map files, so no matter what you do in a save-game the original game template (the one which you edit) will never get changed.

Editing haven't been changed at all, you can still 'Test' the game - when you 'Test' a game however in editing mode it wont automatically save the maps when your character gets teleported to another one, which is how it works currently anyway so you'll be used to that.

Its very glitchy at the moment, only 'just' got it working - but it is working :)

sounds really great! :D
only problem is, because its saving the map and the triggers onto SMC everytime it loads a map.. it takes about 2 1/2 times longer to load each map when your playing on a savegame :p

i'll tidy it up a bit and see if i can shorten it.

but you said that loading on 0.7 would be faster, so I guess 2 1/2 times almost nothing is good enough :)

0.7.0 loads almost instantly, about half a second. but it still takes about a second to save a map, or 2 seconds for a full save.

because it now does a semi-full save whenever it loads a new map, its about a 2 second pause when changing map. no change to the speed of the editing modes loading/saving tho.

i've saved SMC space by making savegames only save files which have changed from the original template version, had to add alot of new code into all the saving/loading routines. but its done now :p better give it a decent bug test tho.

oh well, their goes my (slim) chance of winning anything in the most improved entry comp, i have craigx calling me a dickhead over here

:p

i wrote a real basic cps1 emu years ago as my first GP32 project, but it was never going to be good enough to run commerical games at speed so i just put the thing on hold.. got flamed to death over it being "fake", but this was like years ago.

meh, just ignore it, games are for fun, and people shouldn't be ruining it for the rest :p

oh well, their goes my (slim) chance of winning anything in the most improved entry comp, i have craigx calling me a dickhead over here

:p
I'm greatful for the work you've done, but you have to admit, it's going to be hard for him, and anyone else to believe that you have such an emulator without any proof. I mean all it would take is to email some sources to craig and there would be lots of apologising, but you don't want to do that :S.

It's just like when you're a kid and you're like:

"I have the best new bike in the world"

"Cool lets see!"

"Erm... no... it magic and mine".

If you get me :S. Not wanting start this argument again, but you don't seem to mind with you're posting there.

And craig wouldn't be so shallow as to not let you win because of a comment. That just seems to me that you're making it something to fall back on if you lose now. You can just blame it on craig now liking you <_<.

Like I said, I really appreciate you're work and what you've done for the community, thats just my oppinion.

more like

I am going to make the best bike in the world. but cant build it to the full because i lack the parts

Cool, can i see?

No, its not very good atm, and i wouldnt want you to judge me

great, so now your slagging off my Magic Bike too!!! well screw you guys!

*rides off*

;) just kidding, decided to make a nice thread to clear up the whole CPS32 stuff - basically telling people it wasn't playable and was never going to work properly and didnt have qsound etc etc etc so hopefully thats an end of that.

as for not winning, im almost positive im not going to win - but nothing to do with craig, im just guessing a full speed snes emu will be entered and if i was a judge i'd give that the prize instead of gigas anyday, as gigas isnt 'finished' :)

However, last time i released gigas my site went down because i ran out of bandwidth, so by entering it into the comp i get a slim chance but i also get it hosted for free ;)

if you want me to host 0.7, just tell me, I don't think I have restriction on bw on my ISP... I'll put it on my DL page.

Just to clear it up, I wasn't having a go! Just explaining why it might be hard for people to understand. I don't really have a view on the matter and don't think it makes much difference anyway B).

But I am sure though that craig would judge you're work on its quality, not on any arguments you've had between you. There's more than one judge to ensure that as well.

Back