Get ready to rumble!

Yes, the Prototypes will also have the same sound chip as the devboard has, but Nikolaus added the Pandora audio circuit as well (though I'm not sure if this'll work, I know there were some issues but I don't know if they had been fixed).

Reactions: rSl
Well, it depends on what you want to do.
What will almost work out of the box is a fully normal Debian distribution with FireFox (or IceWeasel ;)), LibreOffice, etc.
Basically anything that can be installed of the box from the Debian repositories.

Keyboard input, nubs, the modem, the sensors, etc. are all working.

What's not working yet is proper sync with the display (so you have tearing with fast movements), no 3D, no optimized power saving functions, and we're not sure yet which graphics driver (DRM or FB) we'll use in the end - though it'll probably be DRM (but that currently runs slow).

What people with the Prototype will experience is the the continued effort on the OS.
The default theme (icon sizes, etc.) will be worked on. LunixBochs wants to work on 3D (and he gets a prototype unit as well).
More and more of the hardware functions (LEDs, sensors, etc.) will be included.

So yes, with the missing sync they're not meant run emulators and fast games at the beginning - but I hope no one bought a prototype just for that ;)

That actually sounds pretty usable to me!

Nikolaus added the Pandora audio circuit as well (though I'm not sure if this'll work, I know there were some issues but I don't know if they had been fixed).

This sounds like a great news to me !

Reactions: rSl
I hope for the first few weeks to have my "Common Emulators " i played alot : GB GBC GBA, because the Revo K101 i used a lot until i got a Screen Crack also runt this Systems whitout issues..

So as long the gameboy series is ready until release im happy..

Ditnt get an email until yet, so i think bank wire transfer took a while in germany (mybe because this, credit cards are that popular in other countrys)

But the bank took the money pretty fast from my bank acount, hopefully its going to taken soon to EvilDragons Bank Acount..

Yes, the Prototypes will also have the same sound chip as the devboard has, but Nikolaus added the Pandora audio circuit as well (though I'm not sure if this'll work, I know there were some issues but I don't know if they had been fixed).

That sounds interesting, can you elaborate a little on this? Why was this done? What were the issues? Is the plan to have both on the final unit or will whatever gives the best audio be chosen?

Thinking of ordering..

So if the prototypes come in Nov the normal Pyras won't ship until Jan at least?

January 2016 sounds a little optimistic / rushed to me. Guess it depends on the purpose of the prototype phase and the difficulty of problems encountered. @ED : Is the purpose of the prototype phase purely hardware related or is it the desire to get the software / drivers up to a standard where the device is ready to be reviewed by the tech sites.

Provided the prototypes work, like the rebirths did 22ish december 2011, the first production models landed in customers hands 3 1/2 months later 6th of march 2012.

This is more new things at once, but also ED has the routine of doing something very similar this time around.

"The preorder will happen once the prototypes are finished and tested. Probably in December!"  Really nice way to get lots of orders in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of not pre-preorder(for some reasons)...but i've changed my mind...I think ED need my support for the project so now i pre-preordered (only 10 unit left now).

Sorry for the joke, it obviously wasn't funny. I also think the software side is being neglected, at least it looks that way to me (as an outsider).

I was still debating whether to pre-order or not, thinking I'd have time to decide, but I got my property taxes due in the mail yesterday so that kinda soaked up my disposable monies.
Although the dummy PCB would look really good in the case I'm going to print this week.  Hhhrrrrgggg.  8 more....

For the record, it looks like the voucher code you'll need when it comes to using it when you preorder is contained in an email with the subject line 'Thanks !'.  I almost missed it, expecting the code to be delivered in 1-2 working days (as per the web page), but actually it gets delivered in the flurry of emails you get when you place an order.  Make sure you don't lose that code!

For the record, it looks like the voucher code you'll need when it comes to using it when you preorder is contained in an email with the subject line 'Thanks !'.  I almost missed it, expecting the code to be delivered in 1-2 working days (as per the web page), but actually it gets delivered in the flurry of emails you get when you place an order.  Make sure you don't lose that code!

Well, you can always re-request it from me.
Will make more work, but it won't be lost :D

Sorry for the joke, it obviously wasn't funny. I also think the software side is being neglected, at least it looks that way to me (as an outsider).

The software we're talking about are the types of things that cannot exist until there is hardware to build them on.  Software is not being neglected at all.  A lot has been done on the dev boards, but there are limits to what can be done there.

This is the hardware prototype stage. This allows the hardware to be tested to ensure that the hardware functionality is sound so that the software can be created.  This is a normal step.  Most companies hide this process from their future customers as issues found during prototype stages can get stuck in the public mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

The software we're talking about are the types of things that cannot exist until there is hardware to build them on.  Software is not being neglected at all.  A lot has been done on the dev boards, but there are limits to what can be done there.

This is the hardware prototype stage. This allows the hardware to be tested to ensure that the hardware functionality is sound so that the software can be created.  This is a normal step.  Most companies hide this process from their future customers as issues found during prototype stages can get stuck in the public mind.
Yeah, for an outsider, this may seem out of sorts, but it is very much "normal". There's a reason most consoles and handhelds release with poor ports, and under cooked software, system operations need to work, before other things can.

Out of the gate, we'll see some basic ports of things that "work" well, but in no way taking advantage of the full Pyra experience. The PS4/ONE really don't offer much currently that says next gen to me either, but by the half way mark of their lives, they will shine.

It's the same for any device. If the Pyra doesn't scream "complete" to you, don't buy one, as you'll be sorely disappointed. Most new systems seem undone to me most of the time, and that's the difference between "early adopters", and those who wait until systems offer what they like and they see the value. Early adopters know what they are getting in to, and what to expect.

But you do see those consumers with buyers remorse. "Oh, I didn't know there was no software, and great games are years away". If anyone is older than 15 years old, they should know what to expect, as this is how gaming devices work pretty much on the whole, nothing new under the sun really.

Chris

No chance to put more pre-preorders? I had an issue with my bank and they had blocked my money until monday... :(

No chance to put more pre-preorders? I had an issue with my bank and they had blocked my money until monday... :(

You wanted to do a bank transfer?
You can still place the order and do that later.

Back