Gentoo based OS image (Pyra) -EOI

I *used* to think that... with a modern cpu, its simply not the case, sure I use some binary packages like firefox and libre-office, but they are both giganourmous sized projects (some would say too large...)

Properly configure your make.conf and now-a-days the overhead of Gentoo simply isn't what it used to be... and certainly more than worth the sheer responsiveness you get - even the wife said "its like having a new computer" - and let me tell you she's *always* right ;-)
I'm all for perfectly tuned makefiles/compilation, but I would love it even more if it was a simple download to get the binary, especially since we have a common platform in mind.

Personally, I would find it interesting to have FatdogArm on the Pyra -- ridiculously quick boot times, OS runs in the RAM. Programs start real quick that way. You can also minimize the amount of times you write to disk, to enhance the lifetime of your SD card. I'd be curious to see how Gentoo compares to Fatdog in terms of speed and responsiveness.

Use the bindist use flag, and provide precompiled binaries for all the bigger packages.

to be honest I was thinking about a base XFCE "distro" with probably bin firefox and libre office provided as an image - then ppl would just run whatever pnd ontop of it they wanted to...

updating could realistically be done without a massive time overhead (obviously slower than on a laptop but should still be reasonable) of the base system, as portage would be left intact and functional

no no no.... its *obviously*....

Eloquent Ostentatious Interests

I don't want to fiddle too much around with my OS, I mainly want it to run. I hope that's also possible with Gentoo, you guys don't make it sound like it is ;)

Also, I quite like the way systemd is going, for example: easy factory resets sounds like something that could be rather useful.

I especially love its completely untried nature, large attack surface and way its been rammed down the throat of just about every distro... Still for those that don't care about what their hardware is doing its probably perfect...

Do you get a dollar from the NSA every time you post that.... Damn my foil hat slipped....

I especially love its completely untried nature,
"It does something new and I don't like it"
and way its been rammed down the throat of just about every distro...
Red Hat is a company, so they still need to sell their distro, and if they do crap with it, they will lose many customers and money. And Debian did have a vote and voted yes after a long discussion. Ubuntu also went with it, even though they had upstart.
large attack surface
Finally, a good argument. Please give me more of that.

you'll disregard anything I have to say as you have thoroughly made up your mind so.... whats the point....

I use Gentoo now for almost 4 months and in my opinion it's the best distribution i've used so far. But it's got a learning curve to it. You have to learn how to properly use portage, before you will have any fun with it. So it probably wouldn't be a good choice as the default distribution. Also the compile times would be a pain in the back for some packages.

Does somebody know how log it takes to compile the kernel on this processor? That would be interesting to know.

This day and age a proper kernel config doesn't take that long, and the Pyra shouldn't be that much of a slouch, its things like Firefox and other behemoth's that take the time...

But yeah I know exactly what you mean, the flexability, control and responsiveness just makes Gentoo a joy, and yes you do have to learn portage... Shock horror you have to put effort in to get reward out, who'd a thunk...

I use Gentoo on my laptop, and it's great! Takes only about an hour to build LibreOffice.

Which is in contrast to updates which are normally done very much quicker!

large attack surface
Finally, a good argument. Please give me more of that.
That doesn't really hold water either, systemd is highly modular and most things are optional.  The code governing PID1 is fairly small.  The other stuff (commonly considered bloat by systemd haters) has no more attack surface than the stuff it replaces.

I especially love its completely untried nature, large attack surface and way its been rammed down the throat of just about every distro... Still for those that don't care about what their hardware is doing its probably perfect...
You forgot Lennart Poettering.

Back