GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Yea I plan to, I am still getting a good feel for it and thinking of the best way to say what I want to say. Some good, some bad, mostly good though.

EDIT:

if you will ignore the spelling and grammar typos here's my rough draft of a full review. It's a long read but I had a good time writing it, hope you enjoy it.

http://forum.openhandhelds.net/index.php/topic,376.0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read your review, very informative.

Sounds like the Pandora is still your handheld of choice for emulators.

Sent from my GT-I9300

for right now, the pandora still out performs the gcw zero in capability and performance. I also prefer the controls of the pandora over the zero. There's some advantages to the zero like smaller size and weight that some might view as superior features.

But for $120 at roughly 1/2 (CC) to 1/5 (1GHZ), the price of the pandora,you aren't getting 1/2 or 1/5 the performance from an emulator performance point of view. It's very comparable, the pandora just does it that little bit better. The power required at that level is exponential and unfortunately so is the price it seems.

I feel the price difference is still justified, some might not see it the same way. Depends on how highly you value a premium emulation console like the pandora.

If you're looking for "good enough" performance you will enjoy the zero. Everything is playable and enjoyable at high frame rates and looks good.

I still await the nvidia shield that looks like it might take the crown from both however.

I still await the nvidia shield that looks like it might take the crown from both however.
That will be the real challenge for the GCW0. Will it be able to hold gamers and developers interest as newer and more powerful devices enter the market? Pandora has unique features that allows to still stay strong.

the shield kinda lacks in the pocketability area so it's not going to be a 1 for 1 comparison. However if it's only performance and quality of controls and experience is concerned I very much agree.

I feel that GCW should maintain it's focus on retro style game developers and retro game emulation. Keeping it "old school" is an entire market all it's self well suited for the size of their project and capabilities of their hardware.

The pandora has kinda cornered the market as far as pocket PC's are concerned with no real competition and in doing so have the best emulation experience available for the time being. Pandora team would be wise to continue to lean on that success and even lean heavier on the PC capabilities as it's emulation performance is sure to hit a cap at some point due to hardware limitations that will make it's self known probably very shortly as even with the added weight of android won't hold some of these next generation processors back.

Well ill have 25 regular gcw zero's to sell in about two weeks or so. At a fair price too.

If anyones interested pm me and ill give you a price for a gcw zero console.

WHY, Jutley?  You seemed to be pumping up this device more than others at the beginning.  What's happened?  I'd like to see this type of niche gaming device succeed.

Edit 1:  Or maybe this is a marketing move...judging interest.  I'm clueless about these points.  Good luck, either way.

WHY, Jutley?  You seemed to be pumping up this device more than others at the beginning.  What's happened?  I'd like to see this type of niche gaming device succeed.

Edit 1:  Or maybe this is a marketing move...judging interest.  I'm clueless about these points.  Good luck, either way.
Calm down, gnome. There are tons more on the way. 

Android is getting better and cheaper every single day, just have a look at those MTK based android smartphones, Craigix happens to be selling some. They are cheap and powerful. Not that they can ever beat pandora, but they are worth of having a look at.

^ I actually MEANT that type of niche device - NOT cheap Chinese Android knockoffs - no offense.  I like the idea of actual gamers/users producing products for similar fans.  Somehow I think that the Yinlips and other crap that I've seen just won't make my gaming experience better.

Edit 1:  If it's not obvious, I'm in the corner of the perceived "underdog".  I want the GCW Zero to succeed.  I WILL buy one, but I suspect that the 320x200 resolution might have killed some interest - double that and you might have a winner, but maybe even not.  The mobile-tech market NOW is really cut-throat.

I'm really enjoying my Pandora and I want similar products to win, or at least I think that I do - as long as that doesn't take away from the Pandora's successes.  I think that they can coexist.  I will buy one and enjoy some games on it, but I collect stuff and enjoy the genre.

^ Yeah, I remember reading all of that...

BTW, if Link doesn't have them available in the U.S. then I guess that I'll buy one from you...unless the international shipping ends up being more than the actual unit.   :rolleyes:

WHY, Jutley? You seemed to be pumping up this device more than others at the beginning. What's happened? I'd like to see this type of niche gaming device succeed.

Edit 1: Or maybe this is a marketing move...judging interest. I'm clueless about these points. Good luck, either way.
I believe Jutley also supported the GCW KS by buying a couple of units. Only makes sense to sell the one that has the biggest demand.

/>

^ I actually MEANT that type of niche device - NOT cheap Chinese Android knockoffs - no offense. I like the idea of actual gamers/users producing products for similar fans. Somehow I think that the Yinlips and other crap that I've seen just won't make my gaming experience better.

Edit 1: If it's not obvious, I'm in the corner of the perceived "underdog". I want the GCW Zero to succeed. I WILL buy one, but I suspect that the 320x200 resolution might have killed some interest - double that and you might have a winner, but maybe even not. The mobile-tech market NOW is really cut-throat.

I'm really enjoying my Pandora and I want similar products to win, or at least I think that I do - as long as that doesn't take away from the Pandora's successes. I think that they can coexist. I will buy one and enjoy some games on it, but I collect stuff and enjoy the genre.
Sure, the under dogs are always the more sympathetic ones, but people go bankrupts for reasons.
They are either stupid or prideful.

GCW is not like pandora, because:

1. It's a dated product made in China.

2. It's for gaming only, and can't even do this very well.

3. It's only supported by the dingoonity people.

4. It's a sad fact, but more advanced handhelds are being pumped out every single day. (In the same factory, at cheaper prices)

5. Last but not least, MTK is way better, 28nm A7, cell phone capability, long battery life and really fast response. Sure, android is not as likable as linux, but you can't let your honor works before reasons.

I would give you some insider informations for free, not to discourage you or anything, because me myself is a backer of GCW. I want it to succeed, but it's just not plausible.

Then, maybe you will come to your senses, and realize what kind of danger the community is in.

Dual core version:

System: Android 4.2

Chip: MTK 6552 dual core 1.2 ghz

Memory: 1gb ram LRDDR2

4GB internal memory

MicroSD slot (supports up to 32 gb)

Lithium based rechargable battery, 3550mah, 7 hours with wifi on, and 10 hours with wifi off.

Dual analog sticks, D-pad, ABXY buttons, button response: 120 grams.

5 inch 5 point multi-touch capatitive IPS 800*480 screen

Dual sim card slots, WCDMASIM1 GSMSIM2

Wifi 802.11b/g/nblue tooth 4.0+LEGPS + AGPS

3GWCDMA 850M/2100M

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz

184.0x88.0x14.7mm

Wifi 802.11b/g/n,bluetooth 4.0+LEGPS + AGPS

3GWCDMA 850M/2100M

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz

184.0x88.0x14.7mm

180 grams net weight (without battery)

Backface camera: 8MP

Frontface camera: 0.3 MP

LED flash light

Gyro accelerometer.

Production cost: 65USD, Price tag: $82 to $96.

They are still raising capital, but this is just an example of what they are capable of doing. It's better than GCW in every single way, and it's way cheaper, and easier to use. In fact, this machine can be made by the same factory that is producing GCW zero.

There is just no way for us, big fat 'Mericans to compete with these cunning skinny Chinese. The same thing applies to pandora. This machine only costs peanuts, but it's on par with the current CC pandora. We have to change our plans and start to think, what cards we have and they don't. What linux can do and android can't. Otherwise, we will be left in the dust. My idea is that we should starts marketing our machine as a kind of creativity tool, rather than a gaming console. Cater it towards the serious people and technicians, rather to geeks. Selling it to big firms and engineers rather than this small community.

I guess you failed to see how important is the software... getting another unsupported android gaming console playing the usual (bad?) emulator and game is not appealing to me...

It's better than GCW in every single way, and it's way cheaper, and easier to use.
objection.jpg

The GCW Zero has some advantages, so even if your device looks sweet, it is in fact not better in every single way:

• Open Source Handheld
  • Avaible right now
  • NOT Android. I dislike Android even on my smartphone, for what it is built for! I miss my old Symbian Series 60 or Palm OS. And I think an embedded linux like opendingux (or open2x or angström etc) is the best choice for a game console. So your "easier to use"-argument is wrong, too.

I guess you failed to see how important is the software... getting another unsupported android gaming console playing the usual (bad?) emulator and game is not appealing to me...
I hate android with a passion, but that doesn't make it unappealing.

If you are talking about the importance of software, then android beats dingux single-handed.

Anything you can think of, you can buy them from googleplay. In comparison, OD doesn't have much going besides games.

If you are talking about emulating, android's emulators are not much worse, they lack optimization. But they are getting better through.

GCW's concept is good, don't get me wrong, but it's hardware is just too dated. GCW zero is basically a neogeo X with its good microswitch d-pad removed. (Thus, hacking a neogeo X may be better, if you can somehow install OD on that)

If you do a bit of research on MTK socs, you will find that MTK is on par with chips produced by Samsung and other big companies. Sure, it only makes low power consumption cheappos, it does it really well. Craigix has a few phones in his shop, and he thinks it's pretty good.

MTK is much more powerful and technologically advanced than ingenic. Phones that are using MTK chips can start up in a few seconds, and last for days. The samething can't be said for anything from Ingenic. (Ingenic is cheap though, and there are alot of dated parts laying around in storage facilities). The only thing that's awful about MTK is that it never gives linux drivers out. It's a big company and it doesn't care about a few thousand people's need.

Another thing I would like to adress is that, the opensource retro gaming community is shrinking. It's not going strong. It's not 2008 anymore. Smart phones are killing the portable gaming industry. (including PS Vita and 3ds). They have to envolve to stay relevant. That's why many of the Chinese factories are making socs that are basically smartphone chips with gaming input supports.

Last thing I would like to mention: GCW's craze is hard to last. It's not cheap to produce and every single unit has to jump so many hoops to get to consumer's hands, it won't be competitive against all other machines. It's a lovely thing to have that's for sure.

Even though, I doubt it will even do PS1 well.

I'm a fan of handcrafted souvenirs, but that can't be said for everyone.

Ordinary lads who just want to have a go at some old games will not care that much about the community behind that machine.

If one is cheaper, more powerful, and can make calls, there is no reason they would choose a more dated, less reliable (ingenic is just bad all around. the only saving grace for it is that it provides linux support if you show them good money.) and more expensive piece of electronic that is a dedicated gaming machine.

The same thing can be said for OUYA. It surely sounds fancy on paper, but it's just a tegra 3 based android TV box. No matter what the community would do, this fact can't be changed. However, OUYA is sold not as a TV box, but as a console, so that can fool many elderlies who want inexpensive gifts for their grandchildren.

TL; DR

1. the community is small. (remember, not everyone at dingoonity is buying GCW)

2. it's not competitive outside its baised circle.

3. even with the best men of dingoonity, GCW's software will not likely to make up its lack of performance. (Unless us)

4. it's not even dingoonity's "official machine of choice".

5. Android is inconvenient for us, but it's most people's system of choice, to them, linux is the black sheep.

6. GCW is nothing but a handheld gaming machine. It's harder to justify its purchase.

Do you realize that pandora comunity is also really tiny compared to android, almost negligible however lots of android best emulator comes directly from there...

Back