GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Yeah, I'd recommend a microfiber cleaning cloth or two.  For this reason, I like the black padded case better, because of the padding on both sides, tighter fit, less clatter.

I received the case today and I must say these things are impressive, I just ordered a clear one as well. The one thing I would comment on is I wish the fit was a tiny bit more snug. The unit moves around a little and it makes me worry about the analog stick.
Oh, so you ordered a black one first?

Well my GCW Zero SE is essentially unplayable because of the dpad problem.

I put the silicone lube on the dpad and now it seems to physically move okay but the down direction is still significantly harder to register.

I like the form factor and it looks nice but it is like the GP2X all over again. Devs are churning out interesting software but the dpad ruins the experience.

I emailed them 3 weeks ago and again today about getting the smaller dpad I read about. Hopefully I get a reply this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal dpad starts behaving almost normal, but I'm starting to have problem A and Y problem... hope they'll get better soon...

It's a shame our SE version I plagued by this issue... otherwise it is simply great...

I use an SE myself, and I recommend the silicon lube on the buttons, all around the D-Pad in small amounts.  Sometimes it takes an application a few days later.  I'm using a black unit if that makes any difference.  I recommend using microfiber cloths for cleanup vs a paper towel as it will scratch screen & paint. 

On a side not regarding the GCW, I always loved Nick's videos and commentary. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qoLp3J1Xj-c?feature=oembed

Well my GCW Zero SE is essentially unplayable because of the dpad problem.

I put the silicone lube on the dpad and now it seems to physically move okay but the down direction is still significantly harder to register.

I like the form factor and it looks nice but it is like the GP2X all over again. Devs are churning out interesting software but the dpad ruins the experience.

I emailed them 3 weeks ago and again today about getting the smaller dpad I read about. Hopefully I get a reply this time.
Personnaly, I've used a more radical approch. I disasembled mine, get the dpad out and I've filed it down. It's no more black now but white, there is no more paint in exess now and the dpad is working like a charm.

It's a bit extreme, and I think it void the warranty, but I didn't care.

no photo or video sorry. It's not a really hard process, but the battery can be a little annoying because it's soldered with short wires. Also and you can introduce some dust between the screen and the glass bezel in the process.

The screws are under the rubber pad on the back.

then you can unclip the back, unscrew the board and declip the surounding rings (be carefull, but it's not too hard)

Don't forget to pop out the nub from the front. Then the main board should come off, and the dpad is accessible and you can sand down it. Be carfefull because there is two little plastic part on the dpad so that it don't fall from the gcw, don't sand down them. 

Reassembling the gcw is not hard, the power button can be a little annoying to put in place.

The process is relatively simple to add apps to the system, I still await the app store though.

P.S: Sorry for superbump.

True, but it's half the price of a rebirth Pandora, so it's not really aimed at the same crowd.

Mind you, it's also twice the price of any number of Chinese Android-based handhelds that can emulate the same stuff or more by the sounds of it.

It doesn't have the hugest financial force behind it so, things are moving slowly but surely.

@Sony, this is the right thread. I own a GCW-Zero.

Back