GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

New thread is always better and we can have it all related on one place.

Back on the GCW zero, it is almost half its pledge.

I do believe it is going to work and I believe in the idea.

I guess we are in times that the main stream, hard and software wise, can´t afford to not see the power of homebrew, be it soft or hard.

They are all looking for some solution to put it down their own wings.

It is important to support those who are genuine.

Pandora and GCW zero are the current main ones I have my attention and efforts on.

New thread is always better and we can have it all related on one place.

Back on the GCW zero, it is almost half its pledge.
And then what after the kickstarter?  

Why would people by the $100-110(+S&H) for the GCW-0 when they can get one of the new wave of Android 4.something gaming handhelds for almost half as much. 

That is a bit hard to answer DrAltaica.

It is best to open up a thread about this new one so we can focus on it there.

Check the ´other hardware´ threads here and you will see lot´s of other consoles get posted with official specs and there, we can discuss goods and bads about it.

when they can get one of the new wave of Android 4
because some people (not all, it's a niche device like the pandora...) want some open source software, some people don't want the big android overhead and touch centric UI, some people prefer using emulator rendered without fancy scaling filtering and all theses kinds of things that ruin the old pixel arts, some people want a system where they'll get support and not one of theses ylilips system that gets forgotten as soon as the next one is announced (generally it takes 1 or 2 months)...

Just dont see the point of this way to underpowered to achieve anything new "HOWEVER" i like the 320x224 resolution if someone could do this with a tegra 4 id jump on it straight away like the lower res suits mame and other emus but way to underpowered for my liking

Just dont see the point of this way to underpowered to achieve anything new "HOWEVER" i like the 320x224 resolution if someone could do this with a tegra 4 id jump on it straight away like the lower res suits mame and other emus but way to underpowered for my liking
With the exception of psx (which hasn't been really worked on much yet) and n64 (which hasn't even been started being worked on yet) I haven't seen anything it can't handle almost flawlessly.

Until GPU is useable to its full potential both of those are kind of up in the air as far as if this is good enough.

But the systems it does emulate, it does so as well as the Pandora from what I see, and hardware wise, what would be needed to go a generation beyond its current target isn't even out yet, I don't think even a tegra 4 could get ya full speed PSP, NDS, GameCube, or Dreamcast so why does it matter?

I think for the target systems this is supposed to emulate they chose very well on the hardware. The price is right, the size and battery life is right as well.

If you want an emulator handheld I'd challenge you to find better anywhere near this price.

Homebrew games I just see as an added bonus even if it is the "true target" of this device.

This isn't trying to be a mini computer like the Pandora so why load it up with the guts to be one?

Since this has kinda become the official gcw thread here maybe a title change is in order? GCW - Open Source Gaming Handheld or sth like that.

The thread is no longer just about a teaser video.

But the systems it does emulate, it does so as well as the Pandora from what I see, and hardware wise, what would be needed to go a generation beyond its current target isn't even out yet, I don't think even a tegra 4 could get ya full speed PSP, NDS, GameCube, or Dreamcast so why does it matter?
I'm pretty sure a Tegra 4 and probably weaker SoCs could handle DS emulation at full speed. And Dreamcast too for that matter. PSP is a maybe.

Well, that looks all nice and dandy, but the biggest problems might be, that a lot of emulators are designed for arm devices these days with the respective dynarec, neon code etc.

Those will not run good on a mips architecture. Also a 640x480 screen might be a better choice, as I stated before.

As Pickle said, some apps depend on it and you loose the ability to use nice scalers, that enhance the picture.

Looks like this will be funded within the next two days.  Probably end up around the $200K mark by the end.

Well have to say i am really loving my gcw se device i have all my fav games on this beast and it performs very well it is a great replacment from my a320.

With the exception of psx (which hasn't been really worked on much yet) and n64 (which hasn't even been started being worked on yet) I haven't seen anything it can't handle almost flawlessly.

Until GPU is useable to its full potential both of those are kind of up in the air as far as if this is good enough.

I think for the target systems this is supposed to emulate they chose very well on the hardware. The price is right, the size and battery life is right as well.

If you want an emulator handheld I'd challenge you to find better anywhere near this price.

Homebrew games I just see as an added bonus even if it is the "true target" of this device.

This isn't trying to be a mini computer like the Pandora so why load it up with the guts to be one?
My point is for a handheld to make a mark it needs to have the power now to go that extra step rockchip 3066 is the minimum specs acceptable now its not about price with me its about doing something that hasnt been done yet and this is to underpowered to achieve that

Well have to say i am really loving my gcw se device i have all my fav games on this beast and it performs very well it is a great replacment from my a320.
GCW Fan Jutley, do the emulators work with roms in zip format or do they require their original raw states(.bin, .sms, .smc, .gbc, .gba, etc.)?

Back