GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Calling all expert web designers I really need to get the game up on the website it is based on WordPress so anyone with massive experience with Word Press would be appreciated. Need some assistance to update and get site looking alot better and I will work on the updates and wording....

I have some experience with WP, I've done a few sites using that.

I don't create themes from scratch but have quite a few at my disposal I can use.

I find WP pretty easy, the themes tend to offer shortcodes to make it pretty simple to do most things you would need to do, then there are widgets for carts or whatever else you might need.

I've only done one e-commerce WP site though.

If nobody else [more experienced] offers I will help out.

I can only offer assistance with the initial setup, which is already done. :-/

I am experienced with Photoshop, so i can make any banners and pics you want. Just say what, how, and what size.

First of all, you should make a nice banner with the company logo. What font did you finally choose for the logo in the screen protectors?

If i wasn't stupid busy at work (year end, all clients are rushing to get everything in before end of fiscal year and holidays) i'd do it for you no probs, i'm a senior dev, UI/UX consultant and work a lot in frontend and wordpress. If it weren't for the hectic schedule right now you'd have a slick branding package and site for sure man. Shoulda asked 2 months ago!

Is there a list of working stuff for the gcw?

Like:

Emulators

Programms

Libs (like QT)

Is there a list of working stuff for the gcw?
Eventually all the Dingoo A320 stuff. But right now I can list the following:

Ready:

* Sqrxz 3

* Puzzletube

* Worship Vector

* Dink Smallwood (freedink)

* SameGoo

* Spout

Ported, but still need some polishing:

* Duke Nukem 3D (eduke32)

* Shadow Warrior (jfshadow)

* Quake 1 (quakeforge)

* Quake 2 (SDLQuake2)

* Hexen 2 (Hammer of Thyrion)

* Giana's Return

* Liero (OpenLiero)

* AstroLander

* Commander Keen 1-4 (Commander Genius)

* Flare

* chocolate doom

* remood

* prboom

* Frontier: Elite II (glfrontier)

* Descent 1 (dxx-rebirth)

* UMG

* Abuse

* Tyrian (OpenTyrian)

* Cave Story (nxengine)

* Wolfenstein 3D (wolf4sdl)

GUI programs:

* gmenu2x (our main frontend)

* clock (clock, alarm, timer, calendar)

* wirelessConnect (simple wifi gui)

* dinguxCommander (file browsing)

* gmu (music player)

* hwtest (button and speaker testing app)

No idea about emulators as I don't deal with them. As for the libraries, pretty much the same stuff as on A320 OpenDingux.

Last edited by a moderator:
The controls are the same as in A320 OD, which is: http://wiki.dingooni...velopment#Input , with one small exception - in GCW X and Y buttons are swapped. New thing in GCW is the analog stick, which is controlled as a regular SDL joystick interface (joystick 0). G-sensor will be joystick 1.

Please note three things while porting:

1) GCW applications use our new package format: .opk. It is a read-only squashfs filesystem. The fact you can't write to it means config, save states, etc. need to be written outside pwd. We decided for $HOME/.app_name/ as a standard for saving game files. This is also a place where the game should expect extra data files, if you can't include them in the .opk for legal reasons.

2) We at GCW devteam are nuts when it comes to proper porting, especially FPS games. Please make the button mapping comfortable to play, swap all the button captions from, ie. "LEFT CTRL" to "A", and in general make it a perfect port. Otherwise someone from our team will make his own port ;)

3) We have recently switched from soft-float to hard-float, so you might need to update your gcw toolchain to stay compatible.

Feel free to join our irc channel #gcw on freenode.org.

It works. Joystick control works as well.

Couple of things to address though:

* GCW uses an ext filesystem. Make sure the game recognises uppercase and lowercase variants of the datafiles

* iirc wolf4sdl had tons of different game data versions you could compile the game with. Make sure there is an easy way for the player to select the version compatible with the data files he/she owns

* could we have left/right shoulder strafing next to B + d-pad strafing?

* while in-game runs in 320x240, the menu is designed for 320x240. Can you center the screen in the menu so that there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen?

* the game should have savestate autonaming

It works. Joystick control works as well.

Couple of things to address though:

* GCW uses an ext filesystem. Make sure the game recognises uppercase and lowercase variants of the datafiles

* iirc wolf4sdl had tons of different game data versions you could compile the game with. Make sure there is an easy way for the player to select the version compatible with the data files he/she owns

* could we have left/right shoulder strafing next to B + d-pad strafing?

Great to hear all the controls function, thanks for testing.

Will need to check on the file case, did you have an issue with this and thats why you mention it?

My generic launcher can detect and manage all the versions properly. I will make a build of it for GCW.

I think i did a strafe feature like that for GPH devices. I will have to look.

Will need to check on the file case, did you have an issue with this and thats why you mention it?
Yes, all-uppercase data files don't work. I had to rename them all manually to all-lowercase.

Oh, and sadly opengl support is still missing.

nice. but i am most interessted in emulators. any new from a good psx emulator and the gpu driver?

nice. but i am most interessted in emulators. any new from a good psx emulator and the gpu driver?
No news about any of them so far.

I couldn't care less about emulation btw, I'm more into games that have the source code I can mess with :)

I saw that Sqrxz 3 was on here and it looks pretty cool. Is any one working on the first two Sqrxz games, though? What kind of polishing is needed on Cave Story? Is anything missing from it? How is Unnamed Monkey Game coming along? Is there any kind of storyline? I'm looking forward to it. I love platformers.

I saw that Sqrxz 3 was on here and it looks pretty cool. Is any one working on the first two Sqrxz games, though? What kind of polishing is needed on Cave Story? Is anything missing from it? How is Unnamed Monkey Game coming along? Is there any kind of storyline? I'm looking forward to it. I love platformers.
Cave story runs great I have only played an hour or so but I did a video of it on my channel. Here is a new video I did today showing some new additions. If you guys haven't subscribed to my channel yet please do and if it is not too much trouble follow me on twitter as well.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UUFcLcU_iSRU-umtv2nKgpeAhttps://twitter.com/qbertaddict1

Back