GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

As mentioned, it all depends on what you plan to do with it.

Except for SNES, PSX and MAME, you won't have many advantages compared to the Dingoo.

N64 might be possible, but will be quite a bit of work.

Screen can add a lot to the costs.

The Pandora display costs about 42 EUR to buy, and you have shipping costs for the units on top.
This is alot. Are there prices available for other LCDs in that size region fo comparing? How much do iPhone displays cost or the ones from PS Vita, 3DS etc?

@GCW

Please DO NOT change the screen resolution from 320x240 and/or add the touchscreen if it is going to significantly raise the production costs.

We don't need a greater resolution screen, it will be useless. 99% of the emulated platforms, including most psx and n64 titles, run at 320x240. And for the tiny fraction that requires a higher res, we can just hardware scale them down.

People are saying they want 640x480, but they don't understand they don't need it. Same about the touchscreen, how many games for the GPH consoles use touchscreen? Next to none, because it's useless ;)

Not to mention the prototype units have just 320x240, so it will be probably harder for the developers to prepare the system/applications for the release date.
100% in agreement with zear and hi-ban on this.

GCW, the Zero is a cheap gaming handheld not a PC and not a Wacom tablet. Non-touchscreen 320x240 is just fine. People can buy a Yinlips or JXD or a Pandora if they want the extra resolution and features, or they can wait for your next handheld once this one becomes super popular(which it will).

Right now, excluding the Pandora, there's nothing seriously worth buying for retrogamers on a budget. Dingoo is gone, GPH is gone, junk chinese pmp's(like Yinlips/JXD) need to go. Terrible glut in quality available. Your Zero will fill a much needed niche in the gaming community, so don't get swayed with nonessentials most people will never know they are missing. ;)

The one and only change I'd make is to modify the reset hole into a recessed button so the user isn't left high and dry if they have a crash and can't find a paperclip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you can vote "no change" if u like :)

Is the prototype 320x240 screen the same that we'd get in the final model?

Yes the screen shown in video will be the screen in the final product if we decide no touchsreen or higher resolution screen

@GCW

Please DO NOT change the screen resolution from 320x240 and/or add the touchscreen if it is going to significantly raise the production costs.

We don't need a greater resolution screen, it will be useless. 99% of the emulated platforms, including most psx and n64 titles, run at 320x240. And for the tiny fraction that requires a higher res, we can just hardware scale them down.

People are saying they want 640x480, but they don't understand they don't need it. Same about the touchscreen, how many games for the GPH consoles use touchscreen? Next to none, because it's useless ;)

Not to mention the prototype units have just 320x240, so it will be probably harder for the developers to prepare the system/applications for the release date.
100% in agreement with zear and hi-ban on this.

GCW, the Zero is a cheap gaming handheld not a PC and not a Wacom tablet. Non-touchscreen 320x240 is just fine. People can buy a Yinlips or JXD or a Pandora if they want the extra resolution and features, or they can wait for your next handheld once this one becomes super popular(which it will).

Right now, excluding the Pandora, there's nothing seriously worth buying for retrogamers on a budget. Dingoo is gone, GPH is gone, junk chinese pmp's(like Yinlips/JXD) need to go. Terrible glut in quality available. Your Zero will fill a much needed niche in the gaming community, so don't get swayed with nonessentials most people will never know they are missing. ;)

The one and only change I'd make is to modify the reset hole into a recessed button so the user isn't left high and dry if they have a crash and can't find a paperclip.
Those are compelling arguments. I am leaning towards keeping the current screen now.

Well you can vote "no change" if u like :)

Is the prototype 320x240 screen the same that we'd get in the final model?

Yes the screen shown in video will be the screen in the final product if we decide no touchsreen or higher resolution screen
Sounds good to me. I vote keep the current screen and get one step closer to production.

I would like to know what the exact cost difference would be between VGA and QVGA screens.

Zero is not a $50 dingoo, whatever screen it ends up with. The price range is 100-120, if its 120 for VGA then i reckon go VGA. Zero is not an el cheapo machine as it stands, im starting to feel QVGA really wouldnt do it justice.

I would like to know what the exact cost difference would be between VGA and QVGA screens.

Zero is not a $50 dingoo, whatever screen it ends up with. The price range is 100-120, if its 120 for VGA then i reckon go VGA. Zero is not an el cheapo machine as it stands, im starting to feel QVGA really wouldnt do it justice.
Dingoo at least in my neck of the woods never sold even close to $50, even on ebay. This has a 3.5" screen and, looking at the video, a good quality one at that without the murky touch layer. Enough for nearly all the games this thing is made to play on the go with. Besides, there's 1080p through HDMI-out if the user can't squint hard enough.

I say use a great quality 320x240 with even backlight and save the spec bumps for the next version. Otherwise, development might drag on pointlessly.

The current screen in the prototype is of superb quality with backlight as far as I know i have never seen the Dingoo A320 sell for less then 78.00 but who knows maybe somewhere it did.

As stated by others it does have HDMI out at 1080P so at this point I think any messing with what we have screen wise would just delay release and maybe drive up cost.

I think for what the unit provides and does and will do the current estimated price of $110.00 to $120.00 is a fair and just price....

i approve that price.

just one thing... i've seen the video, and... does this console have a plug for headphones?

I agree with you GCW why change it if it works and looks good keep it as it is people will loose interest if it is delayed keep what you got and get it out.

We will move forward with current screen and optimize the OS emulators/Apps/Games to there full potential and hopefully soon have another video with game play with games mention and video and audio playability.

As for special edition all will be labeled GCW-Zero Special addition on front and back of console and possible signature of all key devs on back.

Once website goes up in next week or so we will also have a sneak peak section with chat segments pictures and video of the progress for those that get the special edition.

To answer your question yes the console has an ear bud socket and console will come with very good quality ear buds... Yes we are getting better quality speakers sourced right now so on release the analog nub will be separately mapped and the Zero will have better speakers.

None of this has come easy decision wise or been taken lightly my main goal is make a superb gaming console at a decent price with main features everyone has been wanting has and always will be. After alot of thought messing with what we already have minus the fine tuning would take time and money also drive up the cost to unacceptable level.

yep, software is the most important aspect.

I recall my atary lynx, more expensive but a lot better then a gameboy.

Unfortunantly, it seems the software base on the GB took over the lynx.

There are many alternatives on handhelds on 100$ price point.

Those with android has an advantage of a bigger software base + the fact that even my grandma can operate android.

China/Korean ones can source parts cheaper too.

So far, according to the current specs and my own opinion, GCW Zero is a spiced up caanoo replacement with all extras already inside.

There isen´t much more that would push me to upgrade to it at my current situation.

There must be something that pushes it to an unique level, hence why I talked about an online store before.

I take caanoo would live quite longer should they have a store and a stronger community going.

The GPH store was always a no-working thing on my side and didn´t help the community stay together.

Licensing roms or other retrogames is almost quite impossible (am I wrong with this?). I don´t think nintendo would allow mario to go on any hardware then theirs or zelda maybe.

Licensing, for example, old spectrum games can prove hard too, hard to find the maker or who owns it nowadays.

So targeting a platform for retrogames only, means the main work will be on the hands of devs porting or creating emus.

Some people will play roms from cartridges or cds bought a long ago, the majority will just go on pirating things (I run my UAE with my original dumped A4000 kickstart, and I still have the chips :) , how many people do the same? Or how many people owns an out run arcade to be eligible to play it? ).

I believe there could be more efforts toward original games on it and the store+repository could be devoted to such.

A fine example is the Paper Wars game. It is running on caanoo and pandora and it is wonderful, a masterpiece.

The devs really should be able to cash a bit on such and in a way the console makers get a share too.

To finance developers for original content is absurdly expensive (like atary or nintendo), so there must be a way to mix this up on an order that everyone wins.

Retrogame is a more or less trend and it is going everywhere including phones and tablets.

A strong community attached to repository and store could help this out.

I´m sorry if I don´t make any sense or my comments go nowhere, it is just a bunch of thoughts put together after thinking about the Pandora experience/story, the more newer GG situation and the other handhelds that never launched, like the Nd or even Noteslate.

@erico I get where you are coming from. But I don't see how such a niche platform would be worth targeting for commercial development. The install base is too small. Even with something as massive as the android market making money can be tough.

I understand and half agree, the install base is small.

But let´s take the webos as an example, I know it´s HP(big company), but it also has a small base (bigger then the open handhelds I guess, but still small compared to the big brothers).

I have heard numbers from friend developers that shows their commercial application is doing better on that platform then the others sale wise. So I take small user bases are not to be underestimated.

Also, on a smaller community, people tend to get more loyal to things and closer as well as quite supportive to each other.

But the point of such is not to make loads of money with a commercial effort (prices on the 2-10$ should be enough maybe).

Whenever some code work is done, it costs money to the devs, either OS development, original software, ports or emus.

It gets more expensive if you put up a home page. The knowledge to code costed them to earn. The free time invested on it is probably what costs more.

A store+repo could help devs on those costs, or maybe help them have some quids for music or art. See, I´m not saying it will cover all costs, but it sure will help, even if it is to pay server bandwidth or menial things. By having money going through a store, it gets a share that can help sustain it. Should traffic increase and more money goes through, the actual handheld could have a sales value cut so it can be more popular for being cheaper.

In a poor unhappy comparison, I could say it is similar to playing poker with friends for cents. The 5 bucks you earn at the end won´t make life easier but puts the whole game into a different perspective.

When I say commercial products I don´t mean the big guys or studios but I mean the users and groups that have potential to come up with really cool and unique stuff.

We get to see excellent softs released for free. Not every group has the ability to do so and I tend to see a lot of excellent ideas and products simply not going ahead or getting released because of many reasons including the time/motivation/money thing. I believe such an attempt for a store can do this some good.

edit: ops, forgot an extra point. A good software base for an up comming new console is extremely important in my opinion, that is what is going to prove the console worth and hype it up, not the specs into it alone. Supporting (paying in this case) a set of developers to work/port a base line of software can get incredibly expensive to the prohibitive point. This model could help easy this a bit.

PS: I could be totally wrong on my opinions but am flexible (and want) to learn from good argumentation, I would like to hear what you guys have in mind about this.

But let´s take the webos as an example, I know it´s HP(big company), but it also has a small base (bigger then the open handhelds I guess, but still small compared to the big brothers).

I have heard numbers from friend developers that shows their commercial application is doing better on that platform then the others sale wise. So I take small user bases are not to be underestimated.

Also, on a smaller community, people tend to get more loyal to things and closer as well as quite supportive to each other.
I've actually seen an article elsewhere which suggests the same thing.

It's here, and you may find it to be interesting reading.

Back