GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

320x240 is standard for most emulation but HDMI tv out is at 1080P

Talking of HDMI, what made you choose HDMI over display port if production cost is a major issue?

An answer to this would be of considerable interest to (at least some of) the Pandora community in terms of the way forward for Pandora 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe 320x240 is standard, but you want something that distinguishes your device from others, no?

A lot more opensourceprograms will be able to run and maybe even a desktop. This is virtually impossible with the lower res.

3D graphics will look much better and scaling or rgbeffects can be used in emulators and other apps, that have access to a higher res. The relatively strong cpu can do that but you can't use it because of the low res.

@ GCW A higher resolution screen would be nice if possible.The bigger the screen size the better too.The ps vitas screen is great because it's so big.If one thinks about it the screen is the one thing that the user spends the most time looking at.I would be willing to pay a little extra for some extra features.Have you considered adding more features and increasing the price of the gcw or are you keeping the price low to keep it in a particular market or sales bracket etc.Either way ive bought one and am in no hurry to recieve it.thanks

Speaker quality going to be improved? Stylus included?

I think GCW if you put a better quality hi res screen as this seems to be the main concern with members here 640x480 screen bump the price up we don't mind paying that extra to cover the cost of he screen so much power need to show it off in all it's beautey on hi res screen after all a open console is made by listening to what the people want this is what makes a successfull handheld.

if people want a high res screen, why don't they get a pandora or an android console?

Or maybe better: get a laptop.

I don't see the need for higher rez on such a small screen. I would think changing the screen size would be out of the realm of possibility this far into development, but who knows.

The more features the better.I wiould pay more for extra features for sure.Something to diffrentiate the gcw from other systems would be a good selling point.I would pay 190 dollars at least for extra stuff.

I´d prefer the current specs but if possible cheaper price.(US 50$)

Like I said before, a great online store is a must.

Extra stuff may come good like a bigger res screen but the price might reach a level where it won´t be so pop.

I guess it is important to sell a lot of devices and keep costumers happy with content.

you mean, something like this?

http://aeviapress.org/ocart/image/data/EducationalToys/gg%20fiction.jpg

Sorry, but i want a retro gaming handheld, something portable in a pocket, and with a good price. Not an uber-expensive monster gadget, like Pandora.

I think that there are already enough extras, such as the accelerometer (useless for everything this console is about), the touchscreen (only makes it more expensive, but no real need) and even the analog stick (only really useful for N64, but not really essential)

An online "store" would be a nice extra for some people, but not really needed, since we have repositories like openhandhelds.org, and the console will not be always online, like a phone. Anyway, it is supposed to be an open source console, so i don't think anyone would buy software from a "store".

I think we need to keep this in perspective, this device is aimed at dingoo users who are used to spending $50-60 for the dingoo/gemei range.

You can slap on as many bells and whistles as you like but each one will jack up the price.

If touchscreen makes it too expensive, I'm fine with an ordinary screen. I'd be interested to know what gcw thinks.

I Like the knife :)

But I don´t own any of those devices, the only mainstream I have is an ancient atary lynx still running.

I understand we all have different tastes on what we would want.

What I meant by ´store´ is the repository+the ability to sell commercial stuff too.

Some people will always release their prods free, others don´t have the condition to do so, and it sure helps to cash a few bucks on that and at the end the console makers get a share, so they can release a bit of the console´s price maybe. I don´t believe having such would do harm. In fact it can be a great way to support great software makers. For example, people won´t make millions out of a pandora commercial product target at 5$, but it sure could help the developer with the bills around doing and supporting such.

So I think buying the software from the store can do the console and developers some good, maybe better then donations.

I could be wrong, why don´t you like the ´store´ idea?

Pandora is not uber-expensive at all.

preorder page said:
370 EUR (for international customers) or 440 EUR (for EU-Customers)

This is uber-expensive for many people. For the price of a single Pandora, i can buy four GCW's.

I'd like to see a touchscreen personally. That extra input comes in handy for certain things, mouse emulation is much better with touch as opposed to controls. That's one thing I never liked about the Dingoo.

@sony I agree, if you can get to (or are interested) in the potential it has.

Getting a Pandora only for retrogames is a bit overdrive IMHO, and I guess ED stated something similar before, so he sells other open handhelds too for such need.

I own a caanoo, and am quite happy that I can do my own games for it, can draw and do music.

The Pandora is simply 20 steps further then that on productivity, you get a full desktop.

Ok I need precise decision to touchscreen or not to touchscreen for me resolution of the screen seems more important

will it be more expensive with a touchscreen? how about the quality? i'm sure that if you want to mantain the same price, the touchscreen must be lower quality than the normal screen.

my personal vote is for normal screen (with a nice screen cover, as seen in the prototype video), but lets see what other people say. i would listen especially to the developers opinion, as they are the ones which will keep the console alive.

about resolution, i would stick to 320x240. 640x480 would be ok if it doesnt affect the framerate. Any other resolution is a direct no.

Back