GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Now we need SONY and Red Baron and maybe hakmanplayer to join the 512MB club :)
Yes an exclusive albeit eccentric mens club thick with cigar smoke, heady with the odour of brandy and frequented by women of the night!

I hope those women of the night are black women, because I love me black girls~ :wub:

Well if they don't, you have my permission to put cyanide capsules in their drinking water!

I'd drink that! :p

I bought one.Im really not sure why i did.I blame sony.LOL

hehe, i lol;d

Last edited by a moderator:
@ GCW :

How did you find getting the license for HDMI out in terms of ease / expense?

I'd love to see HDMI out as a standard feature of Pandora 2 but many people seem to think it would be overly expensive in terms of getting a license for this.

How much is the licence?
Disappointing:

http://www.edibleapp...censing-issues/

A license free Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter might be the way to go.

Huh? WTH? How come all these cheap Chinese knock-offs, like JXD, etc. get to have HDMI?
They might just blatantly disregard the license fee.Apparently there is no copyright laws in china or russia.not sure if patants count either.It's why they sell so many clones of brand items ib china.Dvds are just pirated wholesale.

Sometimes by having your factor down at china means they can use it freely, I´m not sure if this is the case though.

There are a lot of things between china and other countries that are just above the common knowledge of political/geographic divisions.

We don't know exactly what were getting yet do we.I kind of like that. The oled screen on the vita gives nice rich colours.Oled would be nice here as said.Higher res too, why not.Touch screen?Check.Well either way Im curious to see what it will turn out like and it won't break the bank at 120 dollars.

We don't know exactly what were getting yet do we.I kind of like that. The oled screen on the vita gives nice rich colours.Oled would be nice here as said.Higher res too, why not.Touch screen?Check.Well either way Im curious to see what it will turn out like and it won't break the bank at 120 dollars.

How much is the licence?
Disappointing:

ya know, $10,000 + $0.05/per device sounds like a lot of money... but that's pretty reasonable for a standard connector...

them throwing that statistic of $375,000 licensing fee on the 15 million devices sold... the shock of that amount of money is impressive.. but they charge like $300 minimum per device so they're also pulling in $4.5 billion gross on that

Lets take a theoretical scale of what these cheap android devices that are being produced by JXD and Yinlips the ones that advertise HDMI brandings on their devices

lets say you make 100,000 devices with the above you're out $15,000 where if you charged $100 per device that's 10 million dollars gross income... that end up being 0.15% of the cost of the device, that's really not that bad... I think the connector it's self might cost more than that to put in.. i know that just increases the bottom line... but I mean HDMI is a really nice feature to have.

even if these companies stay legit with licencing fees they're not out too much.

at the pandora's scale, 8000 (estimate?) devices they would have paid $10,400... each additional unit would cost ya $0.05 per device... I wasn't clear on if you had to pay that upfront fee agian for each new model you sell, or as a company you have a lincense for the upfront 10g

How much is the licence?
Disappointing:

Huh? WTH? How come all these cheap Chinese knock-offs, like JXD, etc. get to have HDMI?
They might just blatantly disregard the license fee.Apparently there is no copyright laws in china or russia.not sure if patants count either.It's why they sell so many clones of brand items ib china.Dvds are just pirated wholesale.

Ok, cool~ I never knew that China had no copyright laws.Thanks for the info. I wish my tablet has HDMI.

China clones anything and Erveything even apple shops so when the GCW gets released don't be surprised with a china knockoff soon after.

I think the only problem with a knokoff arises, if they can make it cheaper with almost the same specs or even completely compatible.

@GCW what's the latest amount sold of 512mb vershion as of today.And can we request another video showing more emulators please.

How much is the licence?
Disappointing:

ya know, $10,000 + $0.05/per device sounds like a lot of money... but that's pretty reasonable for a standard connector...

at the pandora's scale, 8000 (estimate?) devices they would have paid $10,400... each additional unit would cost ya $0.05 per device... I wasn't clear on if you had to pay that upfront fee agian for each new model you sell, or as a company you have a lincense for the upfront 10g
The article says there are two HDMI use-fees one being an annual of $10,000 per year a device is sold with HDMI or $5000(yearly) plus $1 per Pandora sold which is, for either method using a 5000 stock moved, a mandatory fee of $10,000 per year with uniformly steady annual sales. The second(royalty) fee, additionally adds about $200 each year(4 cents per unit sold). So in three years time and 15,000 Pandora 2's shipped, Openpandora pays roughly $30,600 to legally have one HDMI port per device. That's a pretty large check to write.

A free Mini DisplayPort with an HDMI(or DVI/VGA) adapter is the suitable option. This to HDMI adapter costs about $2 and there are many others. ;)

A free Mini DisplayPort with an HDMI(or DVI/VGA) adapter is the suitable option. This to HDMI adapter costs about $2 and there are many others.

Looks like this would be the best option, had no idea that there was an annual fee for HDMI use.

@GCW : If you're looking at keeping costs / legal threats to a minimum I'd give using Mini Display Port some serious consideration.

Back