GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

1. So, this applies for Vita and some smartphones too, eh?

The Vita have a high quality Oled screen and the smartphones have AMOLED screen, for a cheap console like the GCW Zero it will be a cheap Oled screen, for the same price we can have an high quality LCD.

BTW, if you don't think that good quality cases can be made at home, do some research. Some portable-console guys have pretty good and cheap techniques to make alright cases (nothing fancy or really sturdy, but unique in their own way). And the hardware inside these tablets isn't that complex either, usually one L-shaped PCB covering about 30% of the surface and the rest is the battery and screen, I already did my research on that.
There are a multitude of reasons it takes years to develop a handheld gaming device. Nearly all of the attempts fail because it's more work than most of us with all our nitpicking can even imagine. -_-

The Vita have a high quality Oled screen and the smartphones have AMOLED screen, for a cheap console like the GCW Zero it will be a cheap Oled screen, for the same price we can have an high quality LCD.
I'd like an OLED screen that doesn't degrade like the gp2x Wiz's panel too, but GCW's Justin has stated that it's difficult to source cheaply.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, if you don't think that good quality cases can be made at home, do some research. Some portable-console guys have pretty good and cheap techniques to make alright cases (nothing fancy or really sturdy, but unique in their own way). And the hardware inside these tablets isn't that complex either, usually one L-shaped PCB covering about 30% of the surface and the rest is the battery and screen, I already did my research on that.
There are a multitude of reasons it takes years to develop a handheld gaming device. Nearly all of the attempts fail because it's more work than most of us with all our nitpicking can even imagine. -_-

How does that have anything to do with the quote? Just for your information, when I say "case" I mean, literally, a case. As in a plastic enclosure for a handheld device, nothing more, nothing less.

I see, I never knew that. Cheers.

I wouldn't say ripping off the idea, think the info of each were released around the same time. The video in the OP was published after this news article, the actual leak of the s5100 info being published a couple days before the article was published.

http://dingoo-scene....10-android.html

at a very minimum they released the info during the same time frame, it seems like these guys poop these out overnight, but they don't work THAT fast lol.

anyway... no shoulder buttons on the JXD = fail

Yeah, it was just pure coincidence, really.

How does that have anything to do with the quote? Just for your information, when I say "case" I mean, literally, a case. As in a plastic enclosure for a handheld device, nothing more, nothing less.
Like I said, it takes years to develop a handheld which the external casing is a critical part of which is something Ben Heck and any other portable console modder is not creating themselves in their living rooms with a blowtorch and some Bondo. By creating, i'm referring to the actual PCB design and all the work into making the machined mould the plastics get poured into(on top of everything else). That's all I meant by that. ;)

By the way, welcome to the board lugaidster. :)

How many here have secured the 512mb edition i will edit the list with the total this will help people know if they can still purchase one or too late lets get a head count.

Lucky 100 List 512mb vershion Preorders Confirmed

512 mb count 14

I am sure they will visit this site and see the post and will be rushing to submit there names for the head count I HOPE :)

Well if they don't, you have my permission to put cyanide capsules in their drinking water!

Like I said, it takes years to develop a handheld which the external casing is a critical part of which is something Ben Heck and any other portable console modder is not creating themselves in their living rooms with a blowtorch and some Bondo. By creating, i'm referring to the actual PCB design and all the work into making the machined mould the plastics get poured into(on top of everything else). That's all I meant by that. ;)

By the way, welcome to the board lugaidster. :)

Hey thanks :) . BTW, Ben Heck uses CNC :p , and the case alone doesn't take that long. Plastic moulding is expensive and time consuming, but I've yet to see a modder in that community do that. Most use Vacuum forming and/or CNC cutting. Of the two Vacuum is cheap and "easy" as long as you're creative, but time consuming. CNC is easier if you have access and skills to use a CAD and CAM sofware but it's expensive and does limit you to certain shapes.

Portable consoles take long because of the pcb modding they have to do, I know that. I'm trying to strip that part of the equation. By no means I say it's easy. Everyone would have their own, but it's an interesting project that can be made with a college student budget and time.

Count at this point is 14 of 100 and estimated final price $110 not exceed $120.00 for Special Edition.

Also yes the nub will be fixed before release to work seperate from d-pad

Back