DSC01981.JPG

DSC01982.JPG

DSC01983.JPG

DSC01984.JPG

DSC01985.JPG

DSC01987.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You Germans and David Hasslehoff  :rolleyes:

And was that guy walking around in a ghillie suit? (img 9/15) He was lucky he wasn't around your place during that hostage situation.

I don't know about you, but everyone I know watched the show because of the car!!  :p  

I'm glad I went there, I met ptitseb (trying to port Mari0) and got a picture of me, ED, Askarus and K.I.T.T. :wub:

I don't know about you, but everyone I know watched the show because of the car!!  :p

I'm glad I went there, I met ptitseb (trying to port Mari0) and got a picture of me, ED, Askarus and K.I.T.T. :wub:
Hehe, I'm not German. Oh and *cough*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC_ej9qS_k*cough*  :p

But I must admint I always watched Knight rider too when I was young.

Good to hear people from the board are meeting up and having some quality time. Maybe next year I'll make it. Did you drive over for the day or did you get a hotel? I'd have to at least spend the night and sample the local beers to make it a tax write off  :D

Hehe, I'm not German. Oh and *cough*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC_ej9qS_k*cough*  :p
*cough* *cough* indeed! :blink: :wacko:

Good to hear people from the board are meeting up and having some quality time. Maybe next year I'll make it. Did you drive over for the day or did you get a hotel? I'd have to at least spend the night and sample the local beers to make it a tax write off :D
I live close enough to just go there for the day. Since the "main part" of the Gamescom doesn't interest me that much I wouldn't have gone there otherwise though. I really went to meet some people from the community and check out the Retro-area. (That area was pretty cool and probably already worth going there, as you can see from ED's pictures). I didn't bother to join any queues in the other halls though. Except at the booth where I bought a (classic) DOOM shirt ^_^

I was at Gamescom, but sadly was was in back to back meetings the entire time. Nearly all of my time was spent in the business areas, although I did head through the entertainment area once, and went past the retro area, which looked very cool! I think next year I'll try and end up with a spare morning or afternoon to actually look around a bit more.

In terms of travel, I'm UK based, and for this trip decided to go via train (getting sick of flying, all the waiting around and uptight atmosphere). I quite enjoyed the train journey out, from Chester (between Liverpool and Manchester in the UK) my route was:

Chester -> London [2 hours]

London -> Brussels (Eurostar) [2 hours]

Brussels -> Cologne [1h 45m]

So about 6 hours all told (compare to flying: which is 30 minutes to get to airport, 2 hours at airport before flying, 1h 30m direct flight, 30 minutes at airport in Cologne, 30 minutes to get to town, comes to 5 hours). So the journey was an hour or so longer, but a lot more relaxing/enjoyable.

In terms of accommodation, we stayed in an Ibis which is a 2 minute walk from the Barbarossaplatz overground train stop (which is about 5-10 minutes from the conference centre). For the record, the train system in Cologne is very good, and runs until late. I think next year I would be tempted to get a hotel a little further out (all the nice hotels close to the conference centre sell out very quickly, and the remaining choices are very expensive). I didn't really rate the Ibis we stayed in very highly, but was good enough for what we needed.

I typically find at these conference events there will always be places giving out free food/drinks in the evening, you just need to get an invite for it. So if you were looking for a bargain trip you could probably get by with quite little subsistence money.

I might do a more full write up on my experience at Gamescom this year, but what I will say is it the first time I've been (I typically do GDC and BlackBerry Live/World), and thought it was a good event. I think it is very likely I'll go again next year!

Chester -> London [2 hours]

London -> Brussels (Eurostar) [2 hours]

Brussels -> Cologne [1h 45m]

So about 6 hours all told (compare to flying: which is 30 minutes to get to airport, 2 hours at airport before flying, 1h 30m direct flight, 30 minutes at airport in Cologne, 30 minutes to get to town, comes to 5 hours). So the journey was an hour or so longer, but a lot more relaxing/enjoyable.
How did you find it in terms of cost compared to flying?

Back