Gamepark, Gp32 2 (project Name) Coming Soon!

Here's my thoughts.

* a REAL D-pad. Not a raised joystick that goes click, and have a hard time doing diagonals.

* I would prefer NOT to see an analog stick on the next model.

* If it's going to have 8 buttons, why not make it 6 face buttons with 2 shoulder? Think that would seem more accesable than the PSX controller design. A bit crowded perhaps - but then again so would 4 shoulder buttons.

That's it... I'm not to big on spec-ing. Allthough some sort of costom grafics-chip would be nice.

Very interesting...

I really thought that the GP32 would just be a one time thing, but apparently it's profitable enough to warrant another version. Cool. B)

I don't really see a need for commercial games. I know I won't be buying any for the GP32, and I never had any intent to do so. And the fact that it is open source more or less negates any possibility of the console being a viable commercial game console, and if it is not open source, I will have no interest in it.

I don't really have any specific specs, but I find it hard to believe Gamepark could get even close to the PSP's power. Sony will undoubtedly be selling those systems at a loss, but it will still certainly cost at the very least $300. I don't want to pay that much for a PSP--let alone a Gamepark... If it does N64 emulation, I will be a happy man. Playstation emulation is, in my view, impossible--considering each game is several hundred megabytes.

As for bacwards compatability, I don't think that would be that critical. I would assume that the emulators and programs would have to be retooled in order to optimize them for this new hardware anyway, so I don't think backwards compatibility really makes sense.

shinneri,
playstation emulation seems very possible to me
you could rip all video and some audio to make the games much smaller
and its not completely insain to say that gp32 2 could have internal hard drive where there are things like this

if it will be 400mhz, that is not enough to emulate the N64. Maybe at half speed, but nowhere near full speed. Full speed PSX emulation is probably most possible as it has a slower cpu, look at it this way.. on my pc i could run nearly every n64 game full speed only when i upgraded from 366mhz to 1.2ghz & that was ages ago, now im running on 2.5ghz Mobile athlon oc'ed.. Even DC emulation is way up to scratch on chanka running on my PC.

Tho handhelds are different from pc's i guess this will be pretty close. I wouldnt expect n64 emulation not until way after the next gp32, as it'll be really choppy otherwise.

Good design, Bluetooth & lots and lots of great 3D commerical games is what is needed for this console to be a success imo.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Sep 13 2004 at 10:09 AM said:
if it will be 400mhz, that is not enough to emulate the N64. Maybe at half speed, but nowhere near full speed. Full speed PSX emulation is probably most possible as it has a slower cpu, look at it this way.. on my pc i could run nearly every n64 game full speed only when i upgraded from 366mhz to 1.2ghz & that was ages ago, now im running on 2.5ghz Mobile athlon oc'ed.. Even DC emulation is way up to scratch on chanka running on my PC.

Tho handhelds are different from pc's i guess this will be pretty close. I wouldnt expect n64 emulation not until way after the next gp32, as it'll be really choppy otherwise.

Good design, Bluetooth & lots and lots of great 3D commerical games is what is needed for this console to be a success imo.
Your thinking about pcs... the gp32 has no OS overheads etc.. so its faster, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadow of Chaos posted on Sep 13 2004 at 09:09 AM said:
if it will be 400mhz, that is not enough to emulate the N64. Maybe at half speed, but nowhere near full speed.
Well, I got N64 emulating with graphical defects on a P2 233 at a perfectly playable speed with a Banshee card (ok, not full speed; maybe about 2/3) in the early days of it. So I don't see why a Gp32 2 couldn't manage it, given some kind of 3D processor. I doubt it'd manage it with 400MHz of CPU horsepower only, though...

Please note, I can't remember which emu I was using, but it is eminently possible it was coded in x86 ASM, which would explain why it worked.

The problem in emulating PSX and later consoles is the millions of buttons and large number of sticks. Even emulation of N64 on PC, I found I had to customise controls for every game, for playability.

yes, but your probably talking about the emulator "Corn".. as i could run that full speed on my 366 Celeron with built in 8-meg Rage pro (Laughs) years ago, but all it could run all the way through was Mario 64.. and a few other games but they crashed later or had serious bugs.

but for the best compatibility emulators like Project64 to run full speed you would need a decently fast pc.

Still.. like pink spider said there is nothing in the GP like windows to slow it down as much as modern pc's so i guess there will be a speed benefit over pc's.

Has Jun Jin-Woo said anything about GP32 -2- since then?
Hm..
Im so afraid it wont have the same "soul" as the GP32.
I donjt want Soulless PSP or something else.

Well I hope GamePark will make a low Price ^^

Tschüsing Jees'

Project 64 doesn't require that much processor speed to run full speed. As long as GP32 2 has enough video ram I think it could be done. It would rule to have a port of Surreal 64 on GP32 2.

I just hope it has backwards compatibility.

Jees posted on Sep 25 2004 at 02:35 PM said:
Has Jun Jin-Woo said anything about GP32 -2- since then?
Hm..
Im so afraid it wont have the same "soul" as the GP32.
I donjt want  Soulless PSP or something else.

Well I hope GamePark will make a low Price ^^

Tschüsing Jees'

This thread has been going in circles with everyones wish lists for months and basically saying the same things over and over. You aren't happy with what you have?

By the way it has been stated in another post that it has been delayed and GP was going to release the current BLU to more European countries in 2005.

Forget it already, when it comes it comes, until then the best advice is to enjoy what you have ;)

DaveC posted on Sep 26 2004 at 04:19 AM said:
This thread has been going in circles with everyones wish lists for months and basically saying the same things over and over. You aren't happy with what you have?

By the way it has been stated in another post that it has been delayed and GP was going to release the current BLU to more European countries in 2005.

Forget it already, when it comes it comes, until then the best advice is to enjoy what you have ;)

you really had to do that,didn't you?
don't you get the actual meaning of this thread?it's MEANT to go in circles for months!

^^ Im just curious.

In the moment I have read some new things nothing can stopp my couriusity.
I hate that ;)

Tschüsing DreamRider

Back