Gamepark Newbie Open!

shinneri

Certified Guru
Website
www.gpnewbie.com
Just informing everyone that Gameparknewbie is now online and open for business. The GP32 section is largely completed with lots of info, links, and a very nice FAQ (which I might update a couple more times yet). The site is fully IE and Firefox compatible.

The GPx2 and XGP section are rather empty now, but I was most concerned with completing the GP32 section for now. I will be updating the GPx2 and XGP sections and adding content as we receive more info.

Anyway, tell me what you think, and I hope all the Gamepark newbies find this site useful. :D

http://newbie.gp32x.de/

trooper posted on Aug 11 2005 at 12:02 AM said:
Opera compatable ?. :unsure:

Trooper

Well, I use Opera and didn't have any problems... except for the commercial games section, some binary crap appears instead of a picture, though I think that's not browser related.

Last edited:
I was being funny :p as shinneri only mentioned IE (spit) and firefox, But i have tried it too and never got any "binary crap" and all pictures loaded without any problems (Using Opera 8 Beta 2 Btw). Sorry shinneri, Great site btw, Looking very good for such an early stage. :)

Trooper

I don't have Opera installed to test it on. I'll look into fixing the commercial games section though. I used a kind of iffy code to open the pictures in a smaller window.

EDIT: Oh, then maybe the code alright afterall. :p

By the way, I love IE. :wub:

the information is great, but as an interface expert by trade i've got a few complaints:

- text in the title images is much too small (i don't think running 1280x1024 is that uncommon)
- the main text is not high-contrast enough. gray on white is terrible to read, please use darker text or a darker background color.

great work over all!

starpause posted on Aug 10 2005 at 06:40 PM said:
the information is great, but as an interface expert by trade i've got a few complaints:

- text in the title images is much too small (i don't think running 1280x1024 is that uncommon)
You mean that tiny text under GP32, GPx2 and XGP? That's kind of a spoof of gpx2.com, so if you can't read it, I did a good job. :D

starpause posted on Aug 10 2005 at 06:40 PM said:
- the main text is not high-contrast enough. gray on white is terrible to read, please use darker text or a darker background color.

great work over all!
I can read the text fine, but, if more people complain, I'll change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done! this is really good stuff! The gray text makes things a tad more difficult to read (perhaps a darker shade or, dare I say, black?), but other than that minor gripe, this is a fantastic addition to the community.

Soooo, this means instead of telling n00bies to use the search button- we tell em to go to GP32 Newbie :lol:

...Not that I have yet done such a thing or am so knowledgable that I would look down upon a n00b- unlike some other people around here <_< !

K0K0NUT_h3lmut posted on Aug 10 2005 at 09:01 PM said:
Soooo at this means instead of telling n00bies to use the search button- we tell em to go to GP32 Newbie :lol:

...Not that I have yet done such a thing or am so knowledgable that I would look down upon a n00b- unlike some other people around here <_< !
Yeah, I agree. That was really the main reason I decided to go through with this. The "USE TEH SEARCH FUNCTION!!11" type replies always really annoyed me.

Now at least it'll be different--"USE TEH GAMEPARK NEWBIE, ASSH@LE!!111" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Excelent site, neatly layed out, easy to navigate and easy on the eye.

Edit:

I noticed the compatibility list isn't in your links section, this is a good resource for the newbies!

Just an error -

On the gpx2 specification site you state that the gpx2 has a dual ARM cpu core AND a graphics co-processor. As I understand it, however, the second ARM core IS the coprocessor.

The correct wording should be:

The GPx2's power is much disputed at the moment. Instead of one single 400mhz processor, the GPx2 features two 200mhz ARM processors, one of which is used as a 2D and video accelerator. Gamepark Holdings claims that they did extensive testing and found their main processor and 2D accelerator performed better than a single 400mhz CPU. Some believe this claim while others, including some devs, have their doubts. It essentially comes down to how well the 2D accelerator can be used and accessed via the SDK in this console, and we won't know that until the devs get their hands on the thing and start coding.

p.s. Feel free to link my site if you like:
http://www.gp32.co.nz/
GP32 resources (including MODs and repairs), code snippets and developer list

I'm impressed! Great site :)

In my point of view this is just what the scene needs to grew even larger. The problem with GP32 is that it's rather complex and non-userfriendly, compard to "ordinary", plug-and-play handhelds. This site May make more ppl get intrerest in gp32 since it's rather difficult (..in my point of view) for the "ordinary-don't-know-anything-about-gp32-gamer" to get easy understandable information about the handheld.

Nice site man, word.

A lot of info about the handheld, a lot of info about the commercial games and a f*cking nice row with al the emulators. Keep up the good work. I love it.

Back