Game Editor

The code assumes all chars are signed. Programs compiled for the Pandora are unsigned chars. Causes a problem when the engine is trying to compare negative numbers, and throws it into an infinite loop of trying to parse the same character over and over again.

-fsigned-char option and bada bing, it runs!

Gimme a couple of hours to tidy it up a bit and I'll post a preliminary PND.

Wow, awesome, thanks.

I tried it. Can't say much about the speed, compiled the demo game and that worked as fast as on my PC.

You cannot change resolution or window / fullscreen mode with the engine, you do that in the editor when exporting the game.

800x480 fullscreen works neatly.

No sound yet, but it seems sound is not (yet) working properly on Linux, however, one developer has gotten it to work with ALSA

According to his site, he's also the one in charge of the iPhone / Android port, so he might actually be a big help.

He managed to get OpenGL work on Android for a massive speedup!

The code assumes all chars are signed. Programs compiled for the Pandora are unsigned chars. Causes a problem when the engine is trying to compare negative numbers, and throws it into an infinite loop of trying to parse the same character over and over again.

-fsigned-char option and bada bing, it runs!

Gimme a couple of hours to tidy it up a bit and I'll post a preliminary PND.
0_o

Possibly a little off topic, but could you please elaborate?

if you were to:

Code:
char foo=0;

Foo would be an unsigned char?

EDIT: Man I should'a read the docs first.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.5/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options

I feel ashamed, yet i'll admit I didn't even know there was the 'signed' keyword. I thought 'char' without unsigned had always meant signed. *goes to fix his code*.

Surely not?

Is this true for other types? If so, I too have a portability issue(I've used "short"s without "unsigned" in front, for the very first and last time (I hate signed variables, and avoid them any time I can - if I see a 2 byte int I want it to go 0 to 65535. It's etched in my mind) when I made my screen x/y coords in my RPG. Every other time, i'm 'positive' I've used unsigned vars* (oh that was a baad pun)).

I'd not be surprised if Makslane/other devs (after the opensourcing - it was non-free, in both freedom and beer (it was like $20 AUD for 3 months updates, and idk, $70 for a whole year) and that's when I used GE) did some nasty hacks that relied on the processor doing signed ints directly, which the Cortex-A8 mightn't (but well, should(it's not that *R*ISC ;) ), does anyone at all still do it the ye olde fashioned way - besides on old hardware?). Game Editor has worked on GP2X for aaages, so I'd doubt that this would actually be the issue.

Nice job, btw! I'll let my friend know; he made the 'Game Editor GUI' in the demos section on the website, and continues to use Game Editor. He'll be glad to hear he can run his games on the Pandora now.

It's really a great start for new programmers, who wanna get in there and make some simple games, learn variables(erm - 'see' later), events, you know, the elements - oh, but don't treat it like C - or when you do real C you'll find yourself saying multiple times "but that's not how it was in GE!" - I'm guilty of this ;) .

WizardStan, I know you had mentioned it was slow in the other thread, but I don't see the point posting there too - Speed can't be expected to be great, expect something similar to (bytecode'd) python, or in case the Pawn interpreter is using JIT in GE now, more like Java.

EvilDragon, that's great to see you aren't noticing slowdown. But note most games will be 'actor'(sprite/object) heavy, and the other thing that makes GE slow will take more effect - (Software, unless changed) Pixel-accurate collision on everything(also unless changed, I doubt it, only not long ago a friend of mine did his own collision detection to dodge the impact).

I think they're using OpenGL now. I vaguely remember it being mentioned - but if that's true, much faster than way back when.

However, it's unfortunate, but in this universe you can't do something that's so easy and have as good results in every regard as the harder method (besides when the harder method is just plain wrong ;) )

* - except when doing dirty hacks where i'd check for a value below 0 to determine overflow(one thing you might appreciate in ASM is access to an 'overflow' flag on most archs :) ), that I hope I've always changed before release! I don't know whether it's the 8-bit uC programmer in me, but i'm always found trying to crunch stuff into a single byte, even though it makes it no faster on 16-32-64-128bit machines ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really love to hear more about how well this works for game creation .. anyone gonna do a tutorial or some such similar writeup in the near future?

I'd really love to hear more about how well this works for game creation .. anyone gonna do a tutorial or some such similar writeup in the near future?

Tutorials are included in the Editor :)

When I made games on the GP2X, I just browsed these Tutorials (about 15 minutes) and was able to do a PacMan-Style game with scrolling and a Pinball Game engine (with physics and collision) within an hour :)

Beta testing forum. I want to put PickleLauncher on it instead of Zenity, and actually get some reports back from people on which games work (work well) and if any don't before putting it to the official downloads section.

Are you saying the editor now runs in it by some update? :huh:
I just built the editor binary and put it in the PND beside the stand alone player I had already built. One PND, two programs.
So those of us that get our Pandora'as can build 2D games on our Pandora's with almost no coding knowledge that run on the Pandora? AKA I mean the editor can run on our Pandora's and build games for it? :blink:

I just built the editor binary and put it in the PND beside the stand alone player I had already built. One PND, two programs.
So those of us that get our Pandora'as can build 2D games on our Pandora's with almost no coding knowledge that run on the Pandora? AKA I mean the editor can run on our Pandora's and build games for it? :blink:

Yep.

And if you use tools like Pencil or Graf2X (love that for pixel graphic!) you can even do the sprites on-the-go :)

Yep.

And if you use tools like Pencil or Graf2X (love that for pixel graphic!) you can even do the sprites on-the-go :)

Holy crap lol now if only we could get some custom interface for Game Editor it would be perfect!

oh my lordy, this has just made me start to sweat with excitement. My hour and 3/4s commute to work (and back) is going to be the most awesome coding time in the world!!! I've dabbled in Games Factory and Games Maker and understand some of the basic coding principles (I'm more of an animation/film maker with coding tendencies) but will happily pick this up and start from scratch. I shall make an effort to document my journey through it as a Newb.

Wowweee!!

Oh... darn... I've just realised I haven't got my Pandora yet.

oh my lordy, this has just made me start to sweat with excitement. My hour and 3/4s commute to work (and back) is going to be the most awesome coding time in the world!!! I've dabbled in Games Factory and Games Maker and understand some of the basic coding principles (I'm more of an animation/film maker with coding tendencies) but will happily pick this up and start from scratch. I shall make an effort to document my journey through it as a Newb.

Wowweee!!

Oh... darn... I've just realised I haven't got my Pandora yet.

Just noticed this thread... do someone have any up to date info about this? How well is it working? Is there sound support on Pandora? OpenGL(ES) Acceleration?

I just got a cool indie type game/interactive story idea yesterday, so just checked here if there where any guides on how to start coding and found this. I used to use Game Maker, but I don't wanna have to boot Windows every time I want to work on a game and GM doesn't output to anything besides x86 Win and Mac, and I really want to contribute to the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back