Fungp

Be patient guys, the re-send email button does work (and it does take you back to the main site), I tested it yesterday and eventually got my activation link.

Tony on Fb:

For the users who are not able to get confirmation mails from FunGP here is the answer.
I have asked to our web team and these are the things that they told me.
"It might be that the user has a hard block for the spam mails, so in this case mails will not be able to get into their mail box.
So if they could change the blockage for the spam then they will be able to receive it.
It all depends on how they have setted.
After that they should try it once more and let us know so we can give them a fast respond."
Just wishing that this one works

Amon_Re said:
traylorpark said:
I dunno .. this DRM doesn't seem absolutely horrible. I understand this is an Open Source crowd, so DRM is avoided like a horrible plague, but consider the other more commercial portables available, and how piracy has effected them. GPH is certainly interested in attracting some larger developer attention, and those developers are probably going to inquire about how their games will be protected from piracy.

It's just another option ... your job is to convince your favorite developer to not use DRM.

There are no real numbers on piracy, we don't know how bad the situation is, is it 1 out of 2 that pirate? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 100? We don't know.
You also make the wrong assumption that every copy pirated is a sale lost.
DRM is a flawed concept, and it will be cracked sooner or later (probably sooner), as such, it only hinders legitimate customers.

Ooh! I never thought I would be caught defending DRM ... alright ... re-read what I said ... carefully.

I didn't assume anything so specific. I'm talking about perception. If, for example, GIANT PUBLISHER has a sudden interest in publishing on the Caanoo platform, they are going to inquire about how they can protect their products from the evil, evil pirates with no souls. If GPH says, "we rely on people's good will." then BIG PUBLISHER will say something like, "you mean like how the R4 was only used to for homebrew?" It's all about perception.

... and I also hate DRM, jus' so you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote said:
Tony on Fb:

For the users who are not able to get confirmation mails from FunGP here is the answer.
"It might be that the user has a hard block for the spam mails, so in this case mails will not be able to get into their mail box.
So if they could change the blockage for the spam then they will be able to receive it.
After that they should try it once more and let us know so we can give them a fast respond."

It would be reasonable to hope that in most cases. In my case, I'm assuming the utter failure to receive any e-mails on my end is just some kind of fluke based on using an address from my personal site rather than a big-name service - all the server-side spam filters are disabled on my server and even so, no e-mails ever arrived. Then again it could also be because I tried to register within an hour of the site opening. Registering a second account with my side address a day or so later seemed to work without a hitch, though.

Next up, let's hope the rest of the site's brought back to full working order in due time. I honestly feel sorry for Tony though, because he's probably getting a brunt of the disgruntled users (due to the 1:1 support board being down at the time of writing) since he's like the only direct e-mail contact available.

EDIT: Argh, got post-ninja'd. Quoting to indicate what I was replying to.

EDIT 2: Actually, the post-ninja brought up something that provoked a bit of thought in me, so I'll just toss that in while I'm at it.

Considering how the PC Manager's been nothing but problems for the community thus far ("Windows-only" IF and only IF you can get it to work), I was wondering if the DRM encryption itself would be better handled in a platform-agnostic bytecode such as Java or Python (okay, probably not Python, come to think of it), so the more generic parts of the program could be open-source. What do you guys think about that?

Lily Surette said:
It would be reasonable to hope that in most cases. In my case, I'm assuming the utter failure to receive any e-mails on my end is just some kind of fluke based on using an address from my personal site rather than a big-name service - all the server-side spam filters are disabled on my server and even so, no e-mails ever arrived. Then again it could also be because I tried to register within an hour of the site opening.

Yeah, I'll add that I did the exact same that you did ... even the registering within the first hour <_< And I'm stuck in the exact same predicament.

Lily Surette said:
quote said:
Tony on Fb:

Considering how the PC Manager's been nothing but problems for the community thus far ("Windows-only" IF and only IF you can get it to work), I was wondering if the DRM encryption itself would be better handled in a platform-agnostic bytecode such as Java or Python (okay, probably not Python, come to think of it), so the more generic parts of the program could be open-source. What do you guys think about that?

It's a total mystery why they can't just do their encryption in a light easy way on a web backend. We may never know. GPH certainly won't understand what is going on here, they will have just hired another company to do all this. You can try to explain the situation to them but I doubt they will answer in any meaningful way.

Yeah, that is a good point. Wrapping around a platform-agnostic codeblock is rather convoluted as compared to just doing the encryption on the server side, in retrospect. Perhaps FunGP is running on a lightweight server and can't spare the extra power to encrypt? But then again, they did server-side encryption in the past, if I recall correctly.

Who knows. I'm only just now making an effort to get into the scene after staying on the sidelines for so long, so my recollections are barely worth the packets they're sent on.

I suppose we'll have to see how it turns out.

They have their own coders, but they all use a korean Windows version and I guess this is where the installer fails.
The FunGP server runs on three (!!) Windows servers...

hello there , i was also having trouble with the email confirmation on fungp with my email , no confirmation from them in my inbox or spam folder

i found a way round it by making a free hotmail account , seems the confirmation emails come through there in spam folder

just thought id let people know if they wanted to register on fungp this way

as for download manager , i have same problem as everyone else sure hope theres some info on it being fixed soon

Managed to sign up finally, had to use my gmail account to do it. The problem with my IP is they don't even have a spam folder, you can only turn the filter on or off. Plus, since I originally tried with Orion4874 I couldn't use it again because that account is stuck in limbo. So I'm just Orion..... I feel kind of naked! :(

No go with the download manager as well and I tried running it as administrator.

EvilDragon said:
They have their own coders, but they all use a korean Windows version and I guess this is where the installer fails.
The FunGP server runs on three (!!) Windows servers...

I've also wondered why, outside the western part of the world, like in Japan or Korea ... using a desktop OS other than Windows us utterly unheard of. And users of other OS's are never taken into consideration.

What boggles me more about this is that the makers of a Linux-based handheld have such ironically negligent disregard for Linux users. :p Though I won't say anything about their use of Windows for their servers, as that's a can of worms that I have no specialty in.

traylorpark said:
I've also wondered why, outside the western part of the world, like in Japan or Korea ... using a desktop OS other than Windows us utterly unheard of. And users of other OS's are never taken into consideration.
US export policy in the case of Korea. For a while the USA considered encryption tools/algorithms to be equivalent to munitions and subjected them to export bans if they were too powerful (read: strong enough to do anything useful).

Korea wanted to create a homebanking system but decided that the 40-bit SSL they were allowed to have wasn't secure enough so they developed their own encryption system called SEED. While that's not an issue per se, all browsers on the market came from the USA where nobody ever heard of or was interested in SEED. Thus the banks needed to provide their own implementations for the user to run. In those days that meant ActiveX. So the US export policy on cryptography ultimately caused Korea to lock themselves into Windows and IE for an important part of their infrastructure, leading to a Windows monoculture.

Hurray! I wonder when Thinkgeek will get their supplies, though.

Alas, my plan on purchasing a Caanoo in September has fallen through so hard that it struck oil on the other side of the planet. Maybe October...

centrlink said:
just checked my play-asia account - says my caanoo shipped today :)

cheers, simon

I just checked too, it says it shipped. :)
Well it's kinda weird actually, it split into two separate orders... one is the Caanoo, shipping with no shipping cost, the other is a $5 off coupon with a heavy shipping charge!

I guess that's just what happens when you catch it before it finishes processing.

Edit: Strange... the email I just got also says there's no shipping charge or coupon deduction, but it still says Fedex shipping.
It should've costed $25 more...

RupeeClock said:
You guys should see this, they're selling FunGP points on play-asia.

http://www.play-asia...-j-70-3xur.html
10000 points is $11.90.

They also now have the Caanoo in stock, hopefully my unit will ship within 24 hours. :D

so it's roughly $1 for 840 GP

3000 GP games ~ $3.57
5000 GP games ~ $5.95
7000 GP games ~ $8.33

Back