The Bombarded News About Pandora Game Releases...

foody

Still Fresh
From what I am seeing here it is officially sealed against Wiz game releases. From the bombarded releases of Pandora games one could officially say that Wiz is over. That is fine if Wiz is over, at least I know now that when people ask what is Wiz I say forget Wiz, it is a dead console. But for me personally, I enjoy using Wiz because it is excellent for reading comic strips, listening to mp3 and playing view games here and there...the small size make it an ideal purchase for me. No regretting Wiz here.

foody said:
From what I am seeing here it is officially sealed against Wiz game releases. From the bombarded releases of Pandora games one could officially say that Wiz is over. That is fine if Wiz is over, at least I know now that when people ask what is Wiz I say forget Wiz, it is a dead console. But for me personally, I enjoy using Wiz because it is excellent for reading comic strips, listening to mp3 and playing view games here and there...the small size make it an ideal purchase for me. No regretting Wiz here.

I think that when coding competition ends, there will be plenty of homebrews :)

Last edited by a moderator:
foody said:

Theres some truth to it, for example I did a lot of stuff for the wiz (since it was the only usable handheld i had at the time), but now that I have a pandora in usable form I dont touch my wiz.
Ive also taken the approach not to work on anything Im not going to personally use, which means im not going to do much for the gp2x/wiz expect for rare cases.
The main reason for this is that I spend free time on something that I feel I get nothing out of, which could be used on something that would be of personal benefit.

I wouldnt expect it to completely dry up there will be new things from time to time, but it wont compare to the pandora activity.
This topic came up before and basically my answer was, if you dont like it, then change it, if you dont know how, learn how. Thats just the nature of open source devices, either you use a device that someone else supports and you get content, or you have to provide your own content.

Pickle said:
I wouldnt expect it to completely dry up there will be new things from time to time, but it wont compare to the pandora activity.
This topic came up before and basically my answer was, if you dont like it, then change it, if you dont know how, learn how. Thats just the nature of open source devices, either you use a device that someone else supports and you get content, or you have to provide your own content.

well said!

Well, it was the same when the WIZ was out: A lot of quick ports at the beginning, then slowdown of releases.
Same for the Pandora probably - but there is A LOT more than can be quickly ported.

It doesn't really help that GPH discontinued it. That is, unless you consider Caanoo interchangeable.

i don't see why people are lamenting all the time. there's so much great stuff in the archive already. it feels like there can't be enough.

@Pickle

Any chance for an updated Giana's Return port for the GP2x or the Wiz?
Or if the answer is no, maybe some other person volunteer to maintain the port?

sbock said:
@Pickle

Any chance for an updated Giana's Return port for the GP2x or the Wiz?
Or if the answer is no, maybe some other person volunteer to maintain the port?

There are already ports to both systems (although neither has the latest source, Thor has a wiz so I assume worst case he would support it) but this an app where ive been more involved than a simple port, so thats what i meant by rare cases. Another example would be CGenius.

Even if the Wiz only had PicoDrive I still would be happy. For me as a videogames enthusiast, the Wiz will never die. It's a great console, with a pretty nice software library.

I'm also very excited for the Pandora, which will arrive within a few weeks from now. The Pandora can be a strong competitor for the Wiz, but at the moment it isn't. Yes there is lot of software already, but there are only a few hundred units out there yet. But I'm very confident that the Pandora market will eventually steal a giant chunk of the open source handheld market.

It certainly is a problem that the Wiz is discontinued. Lets see what happens with the Caanoo. The pandora is not very obtainable, so until then, i think this community is hibernating. Some of us are developing for the Wiz, while others (i guess) are rolling thumbs...

/Uni

I'm still working for both (although Pandora is getting more of my attention atm).

In some ways it has helped determine what technology I was going to use for some personal projects (using OpenGL ES 1.1 to start working on something, but then if I want to enhance the Pandora version I'll look into ES 2.0...).

The truth is that although the Wiz filled a niche, I personally bought it with the hope of it having a wifi adaptor, if this never winds up happening, I'll be quite disappointed and will focus more on the Pandora side of things as it is what is intended to be a Handheld built tailor made to the dev community here, not to say it's every dev's perfect handheld or that the non-dev's are discluded, but it's what we've wanted for years and nobody made.

With every new system that comes out here, we all seem to move at some point, but the Wiz still has some potential, is smaller and hopefully the caanoo isn't much of a deviation that it causes too many problems... and wifi!

That it has had a few contests recently is a good sign though.

I really love my Wiz, its been a solid MAME system for me for a year .. but I've really had problems trying to get into coding for it, because I simply don't have the patience to re-insert SD cards every time I build something .. it *really* needs to have the WLAN adapter for it released, this will make development a lot more interesting and probably the Wiz will start to get a bit more developer love when its available. There are good reasons for us homebrew/handheld developers to keep the Wiz in mind, it is after all quite a solid install base, in some ways ..

As it stands the Wiz has enough emulators, ports and homebrew to last me for ages. I do wish that there was a port of Basilisk and MESS so I could get some Retro Apple love going but hey, guess I should learn how to port them if it bothers me that much!

Iorgy77 needs a hug :) But yeah, this thread should have been merged right away with the last one, but we don't have any mods in the wiz section. You can see the reminder for the competition still has not been approved as news yet. I think it is close to two days now since it was created.

Here's the thread on mods for anyone interested: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55242-some-more-mods/

/Uni

Back