FOSDEM report?

Seems awesome, but why no accelerometer ? It's cheap and many Android games (and html5 soon) rely on them... It would be more usefull than a phone module (because thethering).

Seems awesome, but why no accelerometer ? It's cheap and many Android games (and html5 soon) rely on them... It would be more usefull than a phone module (because thethering).
Nobody said there won't be one..?

First the most important stuff gets put in there and then we see what much space it will have.

I'm pretty sure more people would rather have 3G instead of an accelerator though :)

HTML5 will soon rely on it?

Really?

So... will I have to move my desktop PC or monitor at home around to use the webbrowser...? :)

Yes, because tethering is better than having the Pyra as a standalone phone. :rolleyes:

Yes, because tethering is better than having the Pyra as a standalone phone. :rolleyes:
For those who don't want to sidetalk, I could see that argument ringing true.

-God Ginrai

Depends on how loose your definition of sidetalk is
ngage.jpg

If that's the case we can call regular phones having "sidetalk".
Not really. My point was that using the bottom of the device could still be considered sidetalking due to its oddness, even tho' it wasn't strictly talking into the side. Talking normally would not be considered sidetalking even in those circumstances.

, but there won't be any speaker or mic on the bottom, so you wouldn't be using it that way anyway.

-God Ginrai
 You don't KNOW that. :p
Actually, I kindof do:

It is not planned to have a phone earpiece (placing the Pyra to your ear).
-God Ginrai

Not really. My point was that using the bottom of the device could still be considered sidetalking due to its oddness, even tho' it wasn't strictly talking into the side. Talking normally would not be considered sidetalking even in those circumstances.
Oddness? How is it any "odder" than holding a phone to your ear?

, but there won't be any speaker or mic on the bottom, so you wouldn't be using it that way anyway.

-God Ginrai
Actually, I kindof do:

-God Ginrai
Yes, there's a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddness? How is it any "odder" than holding a phone to your ear?
Once something becomes commonplace, it ceases to be odd.

-God Ginrai
Actually, I kindof do:

-God Ginrai
Yes, there's a difference.
Yea, bolding part of his sentence isn't going to help make it any more likely to happen.

-God Ginrai

That really didn't answer the question, especially since holding the Pyra that way is the same as you would hold a phone.

Yea, bolding part of his sentence isn't going to help make it any more likely to happen.

-God Ginrai
My point is, it's still a possibility.

Look, at best it works well. At worse, you can listen to music, record, possibility voice searches, etc. without even opening the device.  

Nobody said there won't be one..?

First the most important stuff gets put in there and then we see what much space it will have.

I'm pretty sure more people would rather have 3G instead of an accelerator though :)

HTML5 will soon rely on it?

Really?

So... will I have to move my desktop PC or monitor at home around to use the webbrowser...? :)
Well, that could be a way to exercise, a bit like the WiiFit of the PC. :) Anyway, there are API's to access the accelerometers in the browser's javascript (like there http://www.chromeexperiments.com/tag/accelerometer/), so that's why I was thinking many browers games would soon use it.

Do you think multi-sim mobile phone subscriptions wil become common in the next years ?

I think I'm a bit skeptikal about using the Pyra as a phone, I see it as a platform for experiments, like OpenMoko which was never really usable as a day to day phone. (Or you could use it as a portable PABS =) )

That really didn't answer the question, especially since holding the Pyra that way is the same as you would hold a phone.
No you're not. You're holding it the same as you would hold a TV remote to your face. There is no mic or earpiece there, so it would look odd.

-God Ginrai
My point is, it's still a possibility.
So is the possibility that it comes with a micro projector. Plus, there's no comment out there by someone on the project saying that one isn't planned. But that doesn't mean we should act like it is happening. Because more than likely: it's not.

Also, the fact that someone on the project felt the need to point out that such a feature is not planned actually proves that it is less likely to happen.

-God Ginrai

No you're not. You're holding it the same as you would hold a TV remote to your face. There is no mic or earpiece there, so it would look odd.
What are you talking about? This whole time I thought we were talking about a mic and earpiece on the bottom.

So is the possibility that it comes with a micro projector. Plus, there's no comment out there by someone on the project saying that one isn't planned. But that doesn't mean we should act like it is happening. Because more than likely: it's not.

Also, the fact that someone on the project felt the need to point out that such a feature is not planned actually proves that it is less likely to happen.

-God Ginrai
There was the big push for the Omap5 and now we are back with Qualcomm. Things aren't written in stone. Unlikelihood is besides the point.

What are you talking about? This whole time I thought we were talking about a mic and earpiece on the bottom.
 That is exactly what we are talking about. My point is that since the Pyra does not have a mic and earpiece there, then you are not holding the Pyra the same way you hold a phone. Instead, you are holding it the same way you would hold any other random brick-shaped object to your face. I could have also used a 3DS as an example, but I chose to use a TV remote because picturing it seems more amusing.

There was the big push for the Omap5 and now we are back with Qualcomm. Things aren't written in stone. Unlikelihood is besides the point.
Of course they are not written in stone. But the reason that we were not considering Qualcomm is because it wasn't a possible option to EvilDragon at the time. Now it has become a possible option, so he is considering it.

In the case of the earpiece and extra mic, this has always been possible, and they still were not planning to do it, but gta04 specifically told people it wasn't on the cards. While still possible, it is much less likely.

-God Ginrai

That is exactly what we are talking about. My point is that since the Pyra does not have a mic and earpiece there, then you are not holding the Pyra the same way you hold a phone. Instead, you are holding it the same way you would hold any other random brick-shaped object to your face. I could have also used a 3DS as an example, but I chose to use a TV remote because picturing it seems more amusing.
If that is exactly what we are talking about then isn't it kind of counterproductive to say it isn't?   :lol:  

If that is exactly what we are talking about then isn't it kind of counterproductive to say it isn't?   :lol:
Whoops. My fault there, I got that part of our argument confused with facts from the other part. You're right, we should for the definition of whether this is considered sidetalking assume that that a mic and earpiece exist on the bottom while one uses it.

In that case, I'm not sure what it would be. I would still consider it odd, because it is the bottom of the device. Others may not. I'm sure some will define it as sidetalking.

-God Ginrai

Back