Forum Reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
Can anyone explain exactly what forum reputation reflects? Is it per-post ratings? Is there a way to see history behind it? Am curious.

it's worthless, seeing as people can just write a script to lower your posts.

who would ever manually change my reputation to -454?'

on a side note, i also noticed something called "user rating" in the top right in your profile that people can vote up or down.

Wow, I see. I thought it was strange that WarmFluffy was so low, and mine is pretty low too, so I thought the obvious people (person?) might have been targeting us but DaveC's is > 0 so I ruled that one out. < -400 for Xian Long? Geez.

If it's this easy to cheat down then the feature really should just be removed, although I guess we could just add that to the list of other things that are currently wrong with these forums.

Exophase said:
Wow, I see. I thought it was strange that WarmFluffy was so low, and mine is pretty low too, so I thought the obvious people (person?) might have been targeting us but DaveC's is > 0 so I ruled that one out. < -400 for Xian Long? Geez.

If it's this easy to cheat down then the feature really should just be removed, although I guess we could just add that to the list of other things that are currently wrong with these forums.
Yeah it is a load of crap, that is why we should just ignore it. Any lamer can come on here and just ding everyone just because they think it is "|< 00l" and "l337".

Meh. I think it should be removed too as there is no point in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just looking at the reps in this thread is pretty enlightening. I take back what I said, keeping it per post is useful but maybe not accumulating it in per-profile so posts are targeted instead of people?

Here's another pretty enlightening thread, rep-wise: http://www.gp32x.de...d-u-boot-source

EDIT: Actually, I've been looking through my post history and I've consistently had -1 on all of them for long stretches of time. Even posts that I've made that could not be construed as anything but polite and informative. Someone is definitely targeting me, and I have a good idea who it could be. Would be fun to see if an admin can dig into the MySQL to find the IP. Maybe I can bribe EvilDragon.

Exophase said:
EDIT: Actually, I've been looking through my post history and I've consistently had -1 on all of them for long stretches of time. Even posts that I've made that could not be construed as anything but polite and informative.

That is why I think these ratings are a load of crap.

WarmFluffy also gets consistantly neg'ed too I would attribute that to the fact that she is a mod, you know the whole anti-authority thing.

Per post would still draw negs from the ones that wanted to get the poster.

DaveC said:
Per post would still draw negs from the ones that wanted to get the poster.

I figure there wouldn't be much of a point since no one would see the damage you're doing to that person, and a bunch of -1s won't miss anyone's threshold. Probably most people would just not notice and it'd be empty bitterness. I didn't even notice the little number until (naw)mcx mentioned it.

One of my threads got targetted and every post marked to -1, which gave me a bad rep. I've spoken with Squidge, and he says all the mods are in favour of just removing this "feature" entirely. You can also upvote your own posts, so it'd be pretty easy for a troll to go back and up vote every one of their past posts to get a really high rep, which does make the whole system utterly pointless!

The only way this would work would be to encourage everyone to vote up/down posts that they think are over/underrated, to make sure that a troll's votes get lost amongst the valid votes.

benjymous said:
One of my threads got targetted and every post marked to -1, which gave me a bad rep. I've spoken with Squidge, and he says all the mods are in favour of just removing this "feature" entirely. You can also upvote your own posts, so it'd be pretty easy for a troll to go back and up vote every one of their past posts to get a really high rep, which does make the whole system utterly pointless!

The only way this would work would be to encourage everyone to vote up/down posts that they think are over/underrated, to make sure that a troll's votes get lost amongst the valid votes.
For an extreme example, I have a rep of -2709, and DCGM has a rep of something like +570.

The system is bullshit!

I can't believe that a month later, people are still moaning about this. Get on with your lives, it's an arbitrary number.

Nova said:
I can't believe that a month later, people are still moaning about this. Get on with your lives, it's an arbitrary number.

Hm, I wonder if we've found one of the people targeting. :eek:

Another way to help make this feature "work" would be to make it possible to view who voted per-thread, to limit the number you can do per-day, and of course to prevent you from voting on your own posts.

Exophase said:
Another way to help make this feature "work" would be to make it possible to view who voted per-thread, to limit the number you can do per-day, and of course to prevent you from voting on your own posts.

The anonymous downvoting also bothered me. I even think it is best to forget about downvoting completely and only allow people to vote +1 (similar to the thank you buttons you see on other forums)
If someone has anything negative to say, let him/her post it so you can defend yourself.

Exophase said:
Nova said:

Hm, I wonder if we've found one of the people targeting. :eek:

How dare you accuse me. Since the start of all this bollocks, I've been saying how stupid it was to a) abuse the reputation system and b ) get worked up about it. Yes I know who is abusing the reputation system, and yes I have given them my opinion on the subject.

Do your homework before you start accusing people

Nova said:
How dare you accuse me. Since the start of all this bollocks, I've been saying how stupid it was to a) abuse the reputation system and b ) get worked up about it. Yes I know who is abusing the reputation system, and yes I have given them my opinion on the subject.

Aw, someone's bitter. I said I wonder if, not accusing you outright. But I also wonder exactly how I'm supposed to "do homework" on who is voting anonymously. Or are you supposed to be such a great guy on here that it's self-evident to everyone that you'd never do something like this? And being the first person to come in and tell everyone to get over it, the people who enjoy this lukewarm sort of popularity contest would never tell people to get over it! Right..?

Really I just don't like your attitude very much, or at least the posts where you're berating people like this. I only noticed the reputation thing yesterday, so I'm sorry for "whining" about it for a month - I guess if I got a life like you suggested I would have noticed much sooner, eh?

72314_512x288_generated__80u01OQxm0K-l7SSelKUHQ.jpg

Not minding the retarded horse, Nova has spoke up against the whole ordeal, and has talked to the guys/guy involved. He is very helpful, and non-confrontation, uh, mostly. And Exophase, I don't think you are really showing your self in a good light.

Exophase said:
Nova said:

Aw, someone's bitter. I said I wonder if, not accusing you outright. But I also wonder exactly how I'm supposed to "do homework" on who is voting anonymously. Or are you supposed to be such a great guy on here that it's self-evident to everyone that you'd never do something like this? And being the first person to come in and tell everyone to get over it, the people who enjoy this lukewarm sort of popularity contest would never tell people to get over it! Right..?

Really I just don't like your attitude very much, or at least the posts where you're berating people like this. I only noticed the reputation thing yesterday, so I'm sorry for "whining" about it for a month - I guess if I got a life like you suggested I would have noticed much sooner, eh?

Anyone who pays any kind of attention here knows who has been responsible for the rep abuse. And of course you'll provide me of examples of posts I make "berating" others. You obviously must have a lot of proof of that before making such a blanket statement about my posts, yes?

For your information, there's also another thread about the reputation abuse, frankly it's getting very boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back