For artists who dreams of code.

traylorpark

Very Active Member
So I'd like to share with you all a dream I had for when I finally got my Pandora.

I wanted to start doing some very basic and fun, interactive graphics programming ON the Panda itself.

Where I live, there is ample time to sit on a train and doodle around on whatever. It first was my DS, then my iPad, but what I really wanted was to do actual "work". With my Pandora I have now, that is actually possible. I can casually work on little graphics projects when I moving around, waiting in line for something, or relaxing before bed.

I am not a programmer. I've dedicated my time to design and 3D, so really, taking the time to learn something super mega powerful like C is not really of any interest.

However, the idea of some simple graphics programming in an attractive and easy to use IDE is very appealing to me.

I have spent a little bit of time with the likes of the java based Processing. There is also the very interesting Lua based LÖVE.

Processing is especially interesting because the IDE is simple (big effing PLAY button) and easy to start experimenting. I am sure there are more languages and IDEs that I am not aware of.

My dream is to be able to use one of these fairly basic graphics/interactive languages/engines and straight forward IDEs to learn some basic programming and come up with some fun little projects on my own. I don't think I'm the only one either. The Pandora is very uniquely suited to this kind of activity! There are certainly others who would love to use their Pandora to work on little games/projects casually and maybe learn some simple programming as well.

It worked on the DS!

So those of you know know far more then I do ... any advice? Perhaps the tools already exist and I am not aware of them (I am not aware of most things in this regard). Maybe somebody would like to take on porting something like the above mentioned for the good of the community?

Just thoughts ;)

And I'll always be a Programer wanting to be an Artist...

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch is brilliant, I've used it for several prototypes which I then got bored with and moved on to other interesting things, but the point is it was easy to get something simple up and running and that's the best thing a beginning programmer can do. :)

LÖVE, I will defently look at it at some point in the future. I'm improving my GLES-fu for now (after Bloboats, I'm on "I have no tomatoes")... Processing, it's first time I've heard of it :) Based on Java, ekianjo is the master of it ;)

speaking of a programmer who wants to become an artist,

i dumped this image from a flash chip years ago.

prog-artists.png

I have no tomatoes works great with lunixbochs libGL.

But a native port would also be really nice :)

I don't know, I loaded up Scratch, and I was baffled with where to start. That said, I found that with the UDK (Unreal Dev Kit) and Unity; so maybe this is a personal "issue".

I have no tomatoes works great with lunixbochs libGL.

But a native port would also be really nice :)
Hum, so basicaly, like for Bloboats, this one is already ported too :(
Don't worry, I only compiled it and slapped the libGL on it as a test.

Not sure if we even are allowed to release something, that uses lunixbochs lib, so a direct GLES conversion is much better :)

Don't forget to use the version, that uses sdl mixer instead of fmod.

Have fun :)

I would suggest PandaBAS:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pandabas.zxdunny.2994

It's a very capable BASIC interpreter, based on Sinclair BASIC so very easy to learn. You can even use the Sinclair BASIC manual from 1982 to learn how to code in this lovely little language. The implementation of PandaBAS is self-contained and sandboxed so you can't wreck your filesystem with it, and it can do all sorts of stuff in glorious 8bit graphics.

Have a play, it's quite good fun.

D.

Back