Pandora (Gui) Sdk?

kingoddball

Hello,
I have searched.
Will someone release a Pandora GUI SDK.
Something like an OOP GUI SDK? (Object Orientated Programming).
I used to be pretty good at the old (dead'ish) languages like Visual Basic and RealBasic (Enjoy that very much!) and I would love a programming environment like the ones these style programs have.

Will one like these ever be available to help unskilled wannabe budding programmers like myself start to make apps for the Pandora?

I spent some times a few years ago making simple PSP apps (personal use) out of LUA which was fun, but could never understand how these smart Dev's make all those kickass apps and games.

Other than Real Basic all I have only my computers is X-Code (3.x) and Wiring (Arduino GUI) which I can use pretty well, but it's only for the Micro-controller.

xcode can do opengl es 2.0 with the iphone sdk...
but you are on your own for the gui, I think

most likely to be getting alot of apps and development envirnoments ported to the pandora soon as alot of developers are getting pre-release pandoras to work on.
hopefully someone can help you out with your request but i dont think theires a specific SDK as its just a genereal ARM based linux device so anything compatable with that should work.

anyway i'll sidestep for someone to interject with a more helpful solution with some programming knowledge.

Linux has quite a lot of options for developing in Basic, some of these have very VB like UI builders. Most Basic interpreters should work, but compilers need to support ARM code generation.

Try checking out Gambas, i think it's exactly what you are looking for. A quick Google shows some ARM support so there is a reasonable chance of running it on the Pandora (or running on a PC and generating Pandora ready output.

Otherwise, there are a lot of popular, Basic like, scripting languages, all with some degree of access to the common UI toolkits (and probably graphical UI builders available), try looking into Lua and Python.

Finally, Mono is expected to be running on the Pandors pretty quickly. This will allow you to develop with VB.NET and target GTK# and (probably) WinForms UI's. MonoDevelop includes a nice UI builder.

Thanks for the informative and fast responces, guys.
I appreciate it all!

Gambas is looking good.
I live the prawn logo!! :D
it's looking like it only runs in Linux (I'm a Mac man!) so it looks like I'll have to run it under VMware (Fedora) or try find my eeepc and dump a Linux distro on it (maybe Fedora KDE).

Thank you again.

If you can get used to C++, Qt has the excellent Qt Creator IDE, and then you just need a cross-compiler to make the ARM version.
There's also the possibility of Qt - Python bindings or .. something. I'm not up-to-date with GUI bindings for languages that aren't C++.

Given that XFCE is GTK+ based, you might want to just learn some GTK+. It's fairly simple to use although it is written for C (gtkmm for C++ bindings).

I think he's talking about a GUI based IDE, not a GUI library that has an IDE for it...

XCode should be able to do what you want. If you're serious about developing for the Pandora, I suggest you spend the time to learn a more widely-used language. Your best bet would be starting with Python, and working your way towards C/C++ if you've got the desire and dedication. You shouldn't have too much trouble learning Python if you have some background in BASIC variants.

I'll probably make an OGL ES wrapper for gambas as I use it for prototyping my games right now which works extremly well (after fixing numerous bugs in gambas itself and after writing my own matrix, vector and mouse classes...) :)

I do have some knowledge of the 'C' language.
Wiring is a language based on C.
Also when I start reading a C/C++ source I can clearly understand what most of it us saying (I love hhe comments part!).

I don't think I'll have any problem learning C/C++. I also still have a few C/C++ books (for dummies and a few higher ones).

I do want to develop for the Pandora and ARM cores.
My main goal is to port Arduino SDK so I can make some little robots on the go!!

Back