Learning To Program.

hey

Are all the standard JAVA libs object oriented in design? If so then you must have a little bit of an idea of object oriented design. Although not really a big deal, just felt like mentioning it. Hmm, maybe Python is the same, dunno.

From what I remember there were also no standard functions for standard input either :p, or rather gaining input from the keyboard. I only ever made some basic terminal/console programs in JAVA before.

cyas

you should have written "just because something is popular doesn't mean I did learn it yet"

Actually I've written a few things in Java--mostly small projects like numeric physics simulations running as web apps, so I've seen a cross-section of libraries, animation, sound, etc. Enough to know that the major justification for using it is industrial popularity and library availability rather than any strength of the language. It's unnecessarily verbose, has a simplistic view of OO design which has raised an entire generation of programmers who fear multiple inheritance unnecessarily, and just doesn't impress me.

java, xcept for pointers and other things not newbie-related is 95% similar to c, c++, delphi, php, even clipper if you wish to.

Not really, except in the sense that OO languages resemble each other at some level and that all programming languages which abstract the machine away are going to be able to achieve similar results.

yaustar said:
yosh64 said:
The thing with JAVA is that you must learn to program in an object oriented manner from the get go.

No you don't. You can easily stick everything in one class and program procedurally. Java does try to enforce/encourage OOP but you can choose not to program that way.
Wait a tick, so you're saying a beginner should start off with an OO language, but ignore the intended usage and pretend it's a procedural language? Sounds like a bad idea to me. Whatever language you learn, you should learn to use it in the way it was designed to be used, at least until you understand when you are leaving the beaten path and putting in a kludge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any specific "walk-through" kind of examples for python games? I've done the chimp one on the main site, does anyone know any tutorials using the pygame module specifically?

The best walk-through I've found is the pygame book (Apress). It's fairly beginner-friendly and has a python primer in the beginning. I learned to do things the pygame way by reading the API, but that doesn't suit everyone :)

Back