First attempt at dyeing GP32 case

jjthe2

Still Fresh
So, I got bored with the plain white case, and thought I might be able to dye it. I tried using blue Rit dye, but it didn't come out exactly as planned. As you can see, it didn't come out too even or too dark. It looks like clouds actually. It not unpleasant, but not what I wanted.

PICT0054.JPG

PICT0056.JPG

So I think I'll try again to see if I can even it out. I'll try less dilute dye, and maybe a higher temperature. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

when you dye it again try wahing it with mouth wash, it should make the dye go on a little more evenly

The top looks good but to be honest I didn't like the front... the cloud thing... I know that it wasn't your intenttion...

When you find out how to dye it good, do a tutorial, I'd love to dye mine :)

How'd you get the plastic off in the first place?

Pretty neat, i was thinking of doing the same myself but with some rubbery substance instead.

Its cool, but im keeping mine white until it gets dirty, or discolored.
Good job, it looks cool and its a nice color.

Did u use a specific rub to get the dirt off the unit so it would make the dye fully work?

cant remember what it is but it should make the plastic take the dye better

u can buy spraycans which DYE the plastic they dont paint it they dye it should work very well for u :)

i say ahve another go at it bnut i like the way the colour is but its not what u wanted so try again :)

Also did u use the dye for plastic or just any old die?

:ph34r:

I used the liquid Rit dye (ritdye.com), it's mainly used for fabrics so it's probably not the best choice for this. I just tried the rest of what I had again, this time for about five hours over medium heat on the stove. It's little darker but still looks like clouds. I used rubbing alcohol to scrub the outside before dyeing but it didn't help too much. I think I'll look around for something more suited for plastic.

Im thinking about using my black car bumper spray paint
it worked great on my computer bezels and it has a nice sorta "texture"
to it as well.
Ill try it out on something else first.

The dye doesn't come off at all. That's why I didn't want to use paint, because I thought it would scratch and chip off and end up looking terrible. I heard the spray can vinyl dye gradually comes off too, but I may try it anyway. I also heard that mixing the dye with acetone may work better because its a solvent for most plastics. I just mixed with water.

Back