My blue GP32

jjthe2

Still Fresh
My first attempt at dyeing the white case a few weeks ago didn't work so well:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=2339

So I tried again this time mixing the dye with acetone and the results were much better. Now I have a nice very deep blue color. I used about 50/50 acetone and liquid Rit dye at room temperature. I tried first on the battery cover, but probably let it soak too long (about an hour). It's very blue but also got roughened from the acetone. The front came out better, I only left it for 15 minutes, but still some rough spots. I would suggest 5 minutes or less, or a lower concentration of acetone (dilute with water). But anyway I think it looks good, I would give it a B+/A- overall.

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0019.JPG

PICT0020.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, thats f#$%ing pretty :D , what kind of dye did you use? :huh:

EDIT:nevermind i read the entire post.

Nah, way too dark and you didnt get in the holes of the speakers. The colors dont go with each other good. I liked that light blue one.

Any chance of a close up piccy of the dye job rather than one including the whole unit?

I havent taken mine aprat yet but isnt it possible to seperate the back from the inner workings as if i was to dye mine i would want an single colour for the whole unit ?

If you have the flu, the back is little trickier because of the how the switch is attached. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to take off the switch, I'd imagine. Also you would lose the sticker on the back. I like the contrast of the two colors though. I'll get some more pics.

Are you kidding???? That color blue and the grey buttons go GREAT together. I really like that color blue. :D

I preferred the light-blue one, but that does look fairly sweet.

Pity mine's screwed together I'm worried I'd take the thread off the screws if I tried any harder to get the mainboard out, or I might try it some day...

jjthe2 posted on Jul 19 2003 said:
It wouldn't be that big of a deal to take off the switch, I'd imagine.
Let's just say *do not* unless you have about 12 hours+ on your hands, and lot of patience, attempt to dye/change the case of a frontlit gp32. To get the back off, you have to sand off this glue stuff to take the switch out. And at the front, you have to unsolder the flu unit, then remove the flu from the case, and re-install it. And there are a few other minor annoyances, but nothing as major as those 2.

I tried this to switch to my black case, ended up scratching the flu surface, rendering it nearly unusable. I'm trying to get hold of another one now, but it's not easy.

I've got pictures, may post them one day ;)

-Toris

Last edited by a moderator:
argggh man, that sounds like a pain in the ass.. esp. for a system where you are going to be spending your time looking at the screen rather than the casing!! That sucks..

Is the color really tight on it?

Or can you scratch the color of to reveal the original white plastic?

It wont scratch the reason it looks like it does is cause he DYED it

I like the first 1 he did but that looks pretty good 2.

its hard to dye plastic the way they do it is add dye when its being moulded to the final shape so it sets hard in that colour.

:ph34r:

Back